Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Mason Jars

This is a discussion on Mason Jars within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Mark...that was. FUNNY!!! EDIT: on a different note, I just noticed that this was my 500th post!!!!!!!!...

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes quo155's Avatar

Re: Mason Jars

Mark...that was. FUNNY!!!

EDIT: on a different note, I just noticed that this was my 500th post!!!!!!!!
    Join the NRA, ask me WHY! CCF on Facebook

Puffer Fish with many spikes x6ftundx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by quo155 View Post
    Mark...that was. FUNNY!!!

EDIT: on a different note, I just noticed that this was my 500th post!!!!!!!!

grats!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    You throw out the jar after one use? What a waste....
    Indeed! For some of us the jars & lids are not so cheap. Glass is semi-porous & not prone to taking on aroma's so why waste the jar? The only issue with a mason jar is the rubber seal.
    Last edited by Tashaz; 08-02-2011 at 07:29 AM.
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by x6ftundx View Post
    I guess you have never shot clay "PULL" and no it's not a 'feud' it's just a normal discussion.

..the same thing with I never get estate pipes. My OCD just can't live with it.
    I have shot skeet -- just once, but I stand by assertion that Mason jars do not sail like clay pigeons.

Bummer you can't do estates.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

grats!
    Thanks Danny!

My OCD just can't live with it. I even have to have one pipe per tobacco... It's just the way it is and I have to live with it...
    Assuming pipe smokers are generally afflicted with this disorder, mine goes the OTHER direction. I buy some groceries and put them in the plastic bag, which I then use as a small trash can liner, which gets emptied into the big plastic trash bag eventually and then used to clean up the kitty litter. Since the cats don't use it much in the summer, the bags are saved for use in the winter. I never buy bottled water, but I drink a couple at golf scrambles when the weather is hot and keep the bottles to be refilled for taking water on the course. I have an obsession with reusing stuff and am compelled to save all sorts of containers for mailing things, storing things and so forth. I couldn't bring myself to use one of the "free" priority mail boxes, I would be compelled to take one that had been sent to me and reuse it.

I don't recall ever buying a bag of golf tees for myself. (I've bought special tees for part of a birthday gift, but...) I prefer to use broken ones I find on the tee. I'll even use a broken one and put the good one I find on the same tee in my pocket, eventually winding up with a bazillion tees that get transferred out the bag and into the house. I've got more tees than your average pro shop at this point. Drives me CRAZY that there seems to be no use whatsoever for worn out guitar strings!

CWL

Quote Originally Posted by gentimmy View Post
    who knew mason jars stirred such emotion?
    You know that there are more mason jar collectors forums than pipe smoking forums, right?

They prolly have posts like "what will you store tonight?"

Puffer Fish with many spikes Hambone1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Assuming pipe smokers are generally afflicted with this disorder, mine goes the OTHER direction. I buy some groceries and put them in the plastic bag, which I then use as a small trash can liner, which gets emptied into the big plastic trash bag eventually and then used to clean up the kitty litter. Since the cats don't use it much in the summer, the bags are saved for use in the winter. I never buy bottled water, but I drink a couple at golf scrambles when the weather is hot and keep the bottles to be refilled for taking water on the course. I have an obsession with reusing stuff and am compelled to save all sorts of containers for mailing things, storing things and so forth. I couldn't bring myself to use one of the "free" priority mail boxes, I would be compelled to take one that had been sent to me and reuse it.

I don't recall ever buying a bag of golf tees for myself. (I've bought special tees for part of a birthday gift, but...) I prefer to use broken ones I find on the tee. I'll even use a broken one and put the good one I find on the same tee in my pocket, eventually winding up with a bazillion tees that get transferred out the bag and into the house. I've got more tees than your average pro shop at this point. Drives me CRAZY that there seems to be no use whatsoever for worn out guitar strings!
    So.. are we to assume that you save every tin that the tobacco comes in as well? What do you do with all those tins?
    Puffers will push you down the slippery slope of PAD/TAD! Get out while you can!

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone1 View Post
    So.. are we to assume that you save every tin that the tobacco comes in as well? What do you do with all those tins?
    Uh...yeah. I learned my lesson. I used to smoke a tin a week at least, starting in 1961. I had about 10 or 12 open tins going all the time, Dunhill's mostly, but Balkan Sobranie, Three Nuns, Baby's Bottom, Player's...all the usual British suspects. And threw them away when they were empty. They go for about $15 apiece, EMPTY, on ebay these days. sigh. If I'd had the foresight to buy an extra one every time to save unopened, I'd be able to afford my own tobacco company now.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/78152961...om-tobacco-tin

Plus, I like the collection. I'm also starting to use them for my "open containers" of bulk stuff, so I don't have all those jars taking up desk space. (Especially the nice little Erinmore Flake tins.)

Drives me CRAZY that there seems to be no use whatsoever for worn out guitar strings!
    Oh sure there is...

very strong string for tying things up (bags, etc.)...
    perfect for making gift ribbon & bows...
    some are great drywall (Gypsum Board) saws...
    great ground wires...
    very useful for tying trees or large plants to stakes in the ground...to help stay strait...
    and they can be recycled!

Quote Originally Posted by quo155 View Post
    Oh sure there is...

very strong string for tying things up (bags, etc.)...
    perfect for making gift ribbon & bows...
    some are great drywall (Gypsum Board) saws...
    great ground wires...
    very useful for tying trees or large plants to stakes in the ground...to help stay strait...
    and they can be recycled!

Not steel guitar strings, nylon! I play classical. You can't tie anything up with a nylon guitar string. Useless. You can barely make a knot that will hold the string on the instrument! The wound basses are even more useless than the trebles. You can't even recycle them around here.

There have been threads on the classical guitar forum about it. Thousands of CG players on the group and not one of them came up with a damn thing. CG players can easily go through a pack of strings a week and many change strings every two or three weeks, so there's definitely a ready supply for some happy inventor.

Not steel guitar strings, nylon! I play classical. You can't tie anything up with a nylon guitar string. Useless. You can barely make a knot that will hold the string on the instrument!
    This all would be true...hmm...now, I must think of something...gotta be something...

If you can tie a small knot (as the one used to tie to the guitar)...can it be used for a short bit of string to be used on bait rods...for catching minnows...I have a ton of bamboo...as it grows rapidly on a portion of my acreage...? (Or is it too short?)

How about...being used to make beaded necklaces from...?

Crud...i just realized that I had jacked this thread...my bad...

CWL

I used to smoke a tin a week at least, starting in 1961. I had about 10 or 12 open tins going all the time, Dunhill's mostly, but Balkan Sobranie, Three Nuns, Baby's Bottom, Player's...all the usual British suspects. And threw them away when they were empty. They go for about $15 apiece, EMPTY, on ebay these days. sigh. If I'd had the foresight to buy an extra one every time to save unopened, I'd be able to afford my own tobacco company now.
    No use to kick yourself now, you would have done better to have saved that tin money and bought McDonalds stock when it went public in 1965. $100 invested back then would be worth $2.4 million today. Tidy profit and no clutter of empty tins!

Quote Originally Posted by CWL View Post
    No use to kick yourself now, you would have done better to have saved that tin money and bought McDonalds stock when it went public in 1965. $100 invested back then would be worth $2.4 million today. Tidy profit and no clutter of empty tins!
    Oh, sure. NOW you tell me! Hell, I missed the boat on Micro$haft, too. And I KNEW it was coming at the time, because I could see the military orders and dictates from the Pentagon spelling it out loud and clear. (I was a DOD contractor with access to the purchasing data base.) Now THAT'S just STUPID.

Live and learn...

We can't ever go back...but we can always go forward...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast