Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Some Questions

This is a discussion on Some Questions within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Here we go....

Re: Some Questions

Here we go.

Quote Originally Posted by funbags View Post
    OH-Oh looks like someone doesn't like their vegetables!

First off i started with good quality Briars and never smoked a cob in till this last year due to finally admitting that 2 of my highest costing briars where terrible smokers. Will i ever pay $50 -$150 for a Briar again?? yes, but I have come to the point in my life that i would rather have 5 -10 great smoking cobs then 2 $50-$100 brairs that may or may not be great smokers.
    Bingo! This is why I'm a cob smoker. 40 years ago, after destroying my beloved GBD, I went through a bunch of pipes trying to find one that smoked as well. I gave up and quit pipes.

One and a half years ago, I decided to give pipes another try. After 2 meers, five briars, a handful of cobs and a couple of thousand bowls of various tobaccos, I decided cobs were the answer for me. I saw no reason to spend more dollars on briars and meers when a cob (most particularly natural finished cobs) gave similar to much better smokes. Reading the forums, it's not hard to come up with many stories of more expensive pipes that don't smoke well as cobs and some that are down right stinker's.

Though I greatly admire the beauty of some briars and meers, the thought of spending more money and ending up with disappointment again have convinced me that cobs are the pipes for me and I can spend the money I save on adding to my cellar.
    WyoBob

Quote Originally Posted by Zfog View Post
    Here we go.
    I'm just hoping it doesn't turn out there was some corncob smoking maniac. If so, I'm going to actually feel pretty terrible!!!

Puffer Fish with some spikes dgerwin11's Avatar

Let the battle begin. Us cob codgers also enjoy a good briar. It is all about what works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by BrewShooter View Post
    Yikes, did a corncob smoking, chainsaw wielding, maniac slaughter your family or something?!?!?
    How did you know???

Sorry, guys. I'm really not bashing anyone's love of cobs. Every smoking instrument has its virtues. I just get a little tired of the hot and heavy love for them. Let's not elevate cobs above their station in life, or ascribe attributes to them they don't really possess.

They are an inexpensive yet effective alternative to briars and meers (and clays, I suppose). Unlike briars, they're not as durable, they're not as attractive, they hold no value, and they're not collectible. Believe it or not, that isn't a knock on them. They smoke well, and if you burn them, drop them or get tired of them you won't feel stupid for tossing them in the trash. Cobs, in and of themselves, are great. But let's not sell them to newbies as the be-all-end-all.

I have about 25 briars (I'm sure I'm forgetting one). A few cost as much as $300 new, some as little as $10 off of ebay. Almost all of them smoke really well, none of them smoke poorly. Particular ones bring out the best of particular blends (which is something you won't find out if you limit yourself to a handful of cobs). They all have some inherent value that I could get in trade or sale. All of them are likely to last for decades (I hope I do) the way I rotate and clean them. Each one is unique and special in some way (not just to me, but in general). I can't possibly imagine giving that up for some cobs, or not encouraging newbies to at least consider these things.

Leading Puffer Fish

I dont think anyone was selling them as a be-all-end-all, the question that was asked was
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
    Would a cheap pipe work ok for trying or is it one of those things where it makes it not enjoyable?
    I feel that for someone who is trying out the hobby, cobs are a good way to start without shelling our a lot of money. That being said, I agree with you that if all you use are cobs you are selling yourself short. If someone wanted to continue smoking pipes and wanted to spend more money I think a great next step would be to buy a estate briar in the $30 to $60 price range.
    I have both cobs and briars, I smoke all of them, and enjoy all of them.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Shibby's Avatar

Well i have some pipe tobacco on its way. All i have to do now is find a pipe then im golden haha

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoB View Post
    How did you know???
    I had suspected as much.

Sorry, guys. I'm really not bashing anyone's love of cobs.
    Not that there's anything wrong with it, but you do belittle cobs for the most part. You "damn with faint praise", as Pope would say.

But I'm sort of on your side in all this, although I've been generally more supportive of cobs than you have. I have a slightly different view of the "new piper" than you I think. Certainly, a new smoker can limit his investment in something he might not care for, but a briar is without a doubt in my mind more difficult to smoke well than a cob. The cob forgives smoking sufficiently hot to create a lake of condensed yuk in a briar, especially using a filter. For somebody who has not yet acquired any technique, cobs are just easier.

My embarrassing addiction to golf analogies leads me inexorably to compare "helper" golf clubs with cobs. They're easier to hit/smoke and so an inexperienced smoker will likely get something out of them, even with an off center hit. A low handicap smoker really doesn't need a helper cob. (Indeed, a club with a giant sweet spot will make a low handicapper sloppy -- not enough feedback. This probably doesn't apply to pipe smoking.)

You seem to present something of a false dichotomy, too: A) Get a briar B) Get a cob. Do I think briars smoke better than cobs? Absolutely! But it's harder to do, it just is. A new smoker can learn a lot from smoking a cob and if he likes it, he can quickly get a briar or three. I don't think cobs are a waste of time, but I entirely agree that a nice rotation of briars is far better than a bunch of cobs, for all the reasons you put forward. My Sasieni Mayfair is the same size as a MM Diplomat, but smokes better (I've been practicing for a while). I'm not sure a new smoker would think so.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

It's a personal preference so there's no point in debating what's better for a novice. I for one would recommend a briar. I started off with two Dr.Grabows and can confirm that they are cheap and reliable. After 8 years they still smoke great.
    As for sources I would suggest 4noggins. Top notch service.

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    I had suspected as much.

Not that there's anything wrong with it, but you do belittle cobs for the most part. You "damn with faint praise", as Pope would say.

But I'm sort of on your side in all this, although I've been generally more supportive of cobs than you have. I have a slightly different view of the "new piper" than you I think. Certainly, a new smoker can limit his investment in something he might not care for, but a briar is without a doubt in my mind more difficult to smoke well than a cob. The cob forgives smoking sufficiently hot to create a lake of condensed yuk in a briar, especially using a filter. For somebody who has not yet acquired any technique, cobs are just easier.

My embarrassing addiction to golf analogies leads me inexorably to compare "helper" golf clubs with cobs. They're easier to hit/smoke and so an inexperienced smoker will likely get something out of them, even with an off center hit. A low handicap smoker really doesn't need a helper cob. (Indeed, a club with a giant sweet spot will make a low handicapper sloppy -- not enough feedback. This probably doesn't apply to pipe smoking.)

You seem to present something of a false dichotomy, too: A) Get a briar B) Get a cob. Do I think briars smoke better than cobs? Absolutely! But it's harder to do, it just is. A new smoker can learn a lot from smoking a cob and if he likes it, he can quickly get a briar or three. I don't think cobs are a waste of time, but I entirely agree that a nice rotation of briars is far better than a bunch of cobs, for all the reasons you put forward. My Sasieni Mayfair is the same size as a MM Diplomat, but smokes better (I've been practicing for a while). I'm not sure a new smoker would think so.
    Well, to quote our president, "let me be clear". I like cobs, I think they have their place in the pipe world. I wouldn't discourage a new (or old) pipe smoker from buying cob/cobs. I would encourage a new pipe smoker not to ignore briar. My beef is only with the fact the cob devotees seem to look past or ignore their cons to the point of delusion.

Would anyone really deny that, unlike briars, cobs are not as durable, they hold no value, and they're not collectible? If not, I'd say your love of cobs is blinding you (love, after all, is blind). And although beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I have to think only the biggest cob lover would deny that even though the rustic cob has its charm that briar pipes, on the whole, are more attractive objects.

I recognize briar is hardly a perfect smoking instrument, too (is there one? calabash?). But I think they get an unreasonable hard time from cob devotees as a) being too expensive and b) prone to being lemons. Even today hundreds of thousands of briar pipes are manufactured each year. There are reasons for that that.

To be honest, I smoke my briars at least 75% of the time. There is something special about a good smoke out of a beautiful briar. For newbs, I still recommend a cob though, but, lets be honest folks, brylon is where it's at. Can I get a witness from the congregation!!!

No longer a community member.

lets be honest folks, brylon is where it's at. Can I get a witness from the congregation!!!
    Good God!! don't get me started on Brylon! that stuff is like the second coming of the lord!!

Leading Puffer Fish

To be honest, I smoke my briars at least 75% of the time. There is something special about a good smoke out of a beautiful briar. For newbs, I still recommend a cob though, but, lets be honest folks, brylon is where it's at. Can I get a witness from the congregation!!!
    I smoke my briars most of the time as well, but cobs certainly have their place. Never smoked a brylon...

Quote Originally Posted by funbags View Post
    Good God!! don't get me started on Brylon! that stuff is like the second coming of the lord!!
    TESTIFY!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick S. View Post
    I smoke my briars most of the time as well, but cobs certainly have their place. Never smoked a brylon...
    Okay, to be honest, the taste of the tobacco and the smoke out of my brylon pipe is actually pretty good, but the bowl will get hot....VERY hot!!!

No longer a community member.

JEEEZ GUYS i suggest someone look into pipes and you go on a crazy cobs vs brias rampage XD

Here:

Cobs smoke well, but look like crap to most people.

Smoke a nice briar (dont buy anything too cheap or it'll suck, smokingpipes has great used "estate" pipes.)

If you wanna look fancy, or like the slight taste added by some briar pipes, smoke those.

if you want a good smoking pipe to try and see if you like pipe smoking, then grab a missouri meerschaum cob for $4 at a rite-aid (or similar store) and see if you like it. then decide if you want more cobs, a meer, or a briar afterwards.

if you want my stance on it.. look at my avatar, i love smoking my cob (actually i gave it to my friend so she could start smoking pipes), but i'd prefer smoking a nice briar for no reason other than shape/weight/looks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast