Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Some Questions

This is a discussion on Some Questions within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I enjoy my one GC cob as much as I enjoy the 5 or 6 briars I have now. Now ...

Re: Some Questions

I enjoy my one GC cob as much as I enjoy the 5 or 6 briars I have now. Now I always get funny looks, or silly comments when i smoke my cob. Had it over a year, the stems been chewed to death, fact it's due for one of those forever stems soon.
    But really smoking a briar is soo much better, I always get people saying nice pipe, pull out my cob, and I get silly comments. that and cobs don't hold value.
    i would say sure, if your just starting out by all means grab a cob and see if pipe smoking is for you, if not, your not out a whole lot of $$$
    and if you have a burn out, or drop the cob no biggie, get a new one. But brairs is something you should gravitate to, also meers, and clay
    troy

No longer a community member.

I plan on getting another cob purely for bringing on a hike or something where i might (i do big hikes..) plan a few day trip and i can smoke at night, helps keeps the bugs off too hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Zogg View Post
    JEEEZ GUYS i suggest someone look into pipes and you go on a crazy cobs vs brias rampage XD
    It seems you are new to this interwebz thing. Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by BrewShooter View Post
    It seems you are new to this interwebz thing. Welcome!
    I HATE IT WHEN EVERYBODY "JUST GETS ALONG"! CAPS LOCK! FLAME WHEN READY!
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Elder Puffer Fish Leader indigosmoke's Avatar

I think all newbies should buy expensive new high end Castellos or Cavicchis, at full retail prices, and then when they decide that smoking a pipe is not for them they can sell them to me at a very steep discount.

Personally, I've never been a fan of cobs. For me, a pipe is more than a tobacco smoke delivery system, and I enjoy the look and feel of briars and meers which greatly enhances the experience of pipe smoking for me.

As for newbies, I don't think a cob is a bad way to go, but if you are a newbie and (like me) just can't see yourself doing the Jed Clampet thing with a cob hanging out of your maw get yourself a restored, quality estate briar from a reputable dealer like Marty Pulvers or smokingpipes.com. That way, if you don't like the pipe or decide not to continue with pipe smoking you'll be able to get most, if not all, of your money back if you resell the pipe here.
    “The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by indigosmoke View Post
    I think all newbies should buy expensive new high end Castellos or Cavicchis, at full retail prices, and then when they decide that smoking a pipe is not for them they can sell them to me at a very steep discount.
    I never smoked a cob until last xmas, so I managed without for 49 years.

The more I think about this the more I should revert to my guitar advice: Get the best guitar you can afford. You can get a better used guitar than a new one for the same price. (People are always trading up!) An expensive guitar will almost always sound better than a cheaper guitar, play easier, and make YOU sound better, too! (Of course, you gotta use SOME common sense in picking what you like.)

So I would amend ChronoB's advice -- buy the most expensive estate pipes that your wallet allows, and lots of them if you can! Get right into the PAD big time!

I like cobs, though. I'm so debonair and distinguished, that a cob looks retro-fashionable in my maw. While I prefer my briars in private, in public I prefer to affect an air of perverse indifference to them there fancy pipes.

Quote Originally Posted by indigosmoke View Post

Personally, I've never been a fan of cobs. For me, a pipe is more than a tobacco smoke delivery system, and I enjoy the look and feel of briars and meers which greatly enhances the experience of pipe smoking for me.

As for newbies, I don't think a cob is a bad way to go, but if you are a newbie and (like me) just can't see yourself doing the Jed Clampet thing with a cob hanging out of your maw get yourself a restored, quality estate briar from a reputable dealer like Marty Pulvers or smokingpipes.com. That way, if you don't like the pipe or decide not to continue with pipe smoking you'll be able to get most, if not all, of your money back if you resell the pipe here.
    John
    I have been looking at the estates on smokingpipes, and there seams be be many good values....
    An "oath" has no expiration date......

King of All Puffer Fish KcJason1's Avatar

Only pipe tobacco worth smoking is Penzance or Stonehaven...

Quote Originally Posted by KcJason1 View Post
    Here we go again…
    "But when I don't smoke I scarcely feel as if I'm living. I don't feel as if I'm living unless I'm killing myself." —Russell Hoban

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by KcJason1 View Post

OH,no you didn't!

I would rather smoke PA or CH then that cheap Esoterica stuff!!

Wait, did i just bang my head really, really hard??

Leading Puffer Fish

uh oh, the line has been drawn in the sand...

Quote Originally Posted by funbags View Post
    OH,no you didn't!

I would rather smoke PA or CH then that cheap Esoterica stuff!!

Wait, did i just bang my head really, really hard??
    Wait -- are you badmouthing PA and CH? Bang your head? OFF WITH IT!!

Brylon I say, brylon and Mixture 79!!!! It be a fine smoke, if ye' be a smokin' man!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Shibby's Avatar

Well i stopped by a smoke shop a couple days ago and picked up a pipe. As i had been thinking they didnt have any cob pipes, so i ended up picking up a random black one for pretty cheap. I honestly have no idea what the thing is made out of. But ill try smoking some pipe tobacco soon probably, and hope that the pipe isnt horrible haha

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3