Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Some Questions

This is a discussion on Some Questions within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; So ive heard some good things about pipe smoking from Zogg, and ive been smokin cigars a bit, but for ...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Shibby's Avatar

Some Questions

So ive heard some good things about pipe smoking from Zogg, and ive been smokin cigars a bit, but for the price id love to try out pipes.

Questions are simple.. Would a cheap pipe work ok for trying or is it one of those things where it makes it not enjoyable? And also, are there any cheap pipe tabaccos that are widely accepted as a good smoke?

Thanks

Leading Puffer Fish

Re: Some Questions

Welcome to the pipe side of things Shibby! In answer to your question about a good cheap pipe, I would recommend a corn cob pipe (get the Missouri Meerschaum brand, everything else is junk) they are under $10 and are great smoking pipes. I myself have several, and I smoke them just as often as my briar pipes. In regards to the tobacco question, it depends what you are looking for in a tobacco, the short answer is (in my opinion) yes, it just depends on what you are looking for in a tobacco, and what you consider cheap. Many consider Carter Hall, and Prince Albert to be perfectly acceptable tobaccos.

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
    So ive heard some good things about pipe smoking from Zogg, and ive been smokin cigars a bit, but for the price id love to try out pipes.

Questions are simple.. Would a cheap pipe work ok for trying or is it one of those things where it makes it not enjoyable? And also, are there any cheap pipe tabaccos that are widely accepted as a good smoke?

Thanks
    Welcome, Conner!

I'm a pipe noob, but I at least am certain that there's absolutely nothing wrong with a cheap corn cob pipe. Missouri Meerchaum corn cobs pipes have been around forever, it seems, and are certainly an excellent choice for the novice. I started with one, and immediately picked up another, both were $5 or $6 dollars. While I have also picked up a Savinelli off ebay (and been bombed with another nice Savinelli, thanks JJ!), I find the cobs smoke just as well. In fact, I think I'm more comfortable at this learning stage with the cobs. If you SOMEHOW manage to burn one out, or char the rim, or break the shank, or whatever, you can easily pick up another. Not so with the more expensive pipes (at least not on my pipe budget).

As for tobacco, the thing that impresses me most is that there appears to be no super-high-end pipe tobacco that everyone is craving (I will willingly be corrected if I'm wrong on this). Hard to find tobaccos? Sure. But unlike cigars, where I have still yet to try an Opus X or an Ashton ESG or something in the very pricey range, the very best pipe tobaccos (to my still limited knowledge) or not much more than the average good tobacco. In fact, the one I've enjoyed most often so far is a Balkan Supreme I picked up at the local pipe shop for about $4.50 an ounce. Not bad, even though it can be purchased for much less online if bought in bulk.

Plus, as Nick mentioned, there are many on here who are perfectly happy with tins of tobacco available almost anywhere - Captain Black, Half and Half, Sugar Barrel, Sir Walter Raleigh, Prince Albert, etc. I've only had the Captain Black, and it was fine if only a little on the mild side.

I guess you won't know until you try - a corn cob, pipe cleaners, a tamper, tobacco, and a box of wood matches. Should be able to get set up for under $20. If you don't like it, you're certainly not out much.

There is a lifetime of pipe-learning on this forum - stick around and ask questions as they arise. Good luck!
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Shibby's Avatar

Thanks! Ill probably be lookin into a pipe/some tobaccos in the next few days so well see what i can find around that suggestion. Is there a site that most people trust over others?

Leading Puffer Fish

Thanks! Ill probably be lookin into a pipe/some tobaccos in the next few days so well see what i can find around that suggestion. Is there a site that most people trust over others?
    My 2 favorites are
    www.smokingpipes.com and
    www.pipesandcigars.com

in that order, but there are alot of others out there, if you have a question about if a site is good or not just ask.

Definitely check out the Noob trade for pipes thread. For the price of a couple tins of tobaccy an experienced pipe smoker will send you a nice sampling of good tobaccos to get u started. Welcome to the pipe!

And yes I'm new too and am going the cheap route atm with corncobs. I'm enjoying them immensely.

Puffer Fish with some spikes dgerwin11's Avatar

Please DO NOT refer to MM cobs as ''cheap''. They are low cost, affordable, but not cheap. That infers shoddy and disposable. Many of our members have had some of theirs for years. I my self have 11 cobs to 4 briars. They all get treated the same as to breaking in, caking, cleaning and rotating.

As for a starter tobacco, the drug sore brands (H&H, SWR, PA, CH) are good to start with. You will find the 14 oz tubs to be a bit better (or a lot) than the pouches. I also suggest you don't read tobacco reviews early on. These reviews are written by experienced pipers with a more discerning palate than most of us have. There will be time enough for that later if you stay with the pipe. You don't have to switch between dozens of tobacco. If you find one you like, it is OK to smoke only that.

Stay away from no name basket pipes. Tho I personally have no affection for them, Dr. Grabow could well be the first briar pipe many of us buy.

Start slow, give it a chance and smoke what pleases you. Don't try to copy one of us because we sound like we know what we are talking about.

Thanks
    One of the biggest impediments to a new pipe smoker is a poor pipe. Eliminate that variable. Plenty here will recommend cobs, and that's fine. But you'd be remiss if you didn't give at least one briar a shot. I suggest an estate pipe from a reputable dealer like pulversbriar.com or smokingpipes.com. Something in the $30-$50 range will yield a proven smoker that is already broken-in, cleaned/refurbished, will have a lot of life in it, and was likely a much more expensive pipe when new. If it turns out pipe smoking isn't for you then you haven't blown too much $ and you can always try to sell/trade the pipe.

No longer a community member.

corncobs, corncobs, corncobs.......................................... ...........................

................... OOh and corncobs!

Puffer Fish with some spikes dgerwin11's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by funbags View Post
    corncobs, corncobs, corncobs.......................................... ...........................

YES

Corncobs are definitely a good way to start, that is how I started.
    Plus they are cheap!

Everything has been pretty much covered so dive on in.

Quote Originally Posted by funbags View Post

Please DO NOT refer to MM cobs as ''cheap''. They are low cost, affordable, but not cheap. That infers shoddy and disposable. Many of our members have had some of theirs for years. I my self have 11 cobs to 4 briars. They all get treated the same as to breaking in, caking, cleaning and rotating.
    Dudes, give the corn cob romance a rest, will you? They are cheap, they are disposable, and just because you don't look at them that way does not mean they are a life long substitute for briar or meerschaum. Sheesh.

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoB View Post
    Dudes, give the corn cob romance a rest, will you? They are cheap, they are disposable, and just because you don't look at them that way does not mean they are a life long substitute for briar or meerschaum. Sheesh.

OH-Oh looks like someone doesn't like their vegetables!

First off i started with good quality Briars and never smoked a cob in till this last year due to finally admitting that 2 of my highest costing briars where terrible smokers. Will i ever pay $50 -$150 for a Briar again?? yes, but I have come to the point in my life that i would rather have 5 -10 great smoking cobs then 2 $50-$100 brairs that may or may not be great smokers.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoB View Post
    Yikes, did a corncob smoking, chainsaw wielding, maniac slaughter your family or something?!?!?
    Last edited by BrewShooter; 07-31-2011 at 01:54 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast