Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Yard Sale Pipe

This is a discussion on Yard Sale Pipe within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I was at a yard sale earlier today, and asked a little old lady if they had any pipes. She ...

Ron Mexico Assault Squid Mr_mich's Avatar

Yard Sale Pipe

I was at a yard sale earlier today, and asked a little old lady if they had any pipes. She pulled out this one. And i ended up buying it for 5 bucks. I don't know much about pipes so i thought i would ask you guys. Is this a decent pipe? And more importantly how do i clean it to get it ready for use?

Brand stamped on it is Glenderry, also stamped is "Made in London England"

Re: Yard Sale Pipe

It's a Sasieni second. Fabulous get for $5! (Why don't these things ever happen to me? All I ever see at yard sales is old matrix printers, chintzy kitchenware and bad clothing.)
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Alpha Puffer Fish drastic_quench's Avatar

Search for cleaning and restoration and you'll find all the advice and instructions you'll ever need.
    Any man who checks his watch while smoking his pipe is doing it wrong.

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

In that case, if Jim says it's a good find, I'd send it out to Mr. Smitty to have it professionally refurbished. I think it would certainly be worth it - you'd end up with an excellent, as-new condition pipe for around $30 total. Nice.

All I've seen so far offline has been no-name cheapies, the lowest of which was still $14. No thank you, ma'am.

The hunt continues...
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

Sweet, I'm glad it's a decent pipe!

Doesn't appear to be in all that bad a shape, actually. Can't see the stem real well, but it doesn't look chewed up. If it were me, I'd clean it up myself and smoke it! I wouldn't put the stem in Clorox, though, since that eats it up some and that's the original stem (pretty sure). The top of the bowl can be cleaned up nicely with spit (a pretty good solvent) and a paper towel by the looks of things. It appears to have virtually no char, so I doubt seriously if it needs any reaming at this point. Take some Bon Ami cleanser and a cotton cloth to the stem and it should shine up fairly decent and definitely get rid of any oxidation. Rub a little Chapstick on the stem after you're through and it should look decent enough. (You could buff it to a shine, too, if you have that sort of machinery.) Thoroughly high octane alcohol and some pipe cleaners in the stem and shank (get into the mortise where the tenon fits real well) should finish it up.

Can't tell a whole lot, but that pipe looks like it's barely broken in. Don't know why it's a second, but if it's a high drill (draft hole too high off the bottom), you'll need to fill that in with pipe mud if you want it to smoke as well as it can. With any luck, it's only cosmetic stuff, like fills in the bowl that don't hurt anything.

Terry's right, though...for not a lot you could have what for all intents and purposes would be a brand new pipe! And a Sasieni at that, probably from the late 70s or early 80s. (I big on Sasienis! )

NORWOODS PIPE REPAIR
    Fast and reliable. $5 for the pipe, $20 for refurbishing, $25 total for a good estate briar. Nuf said.

$5?? Great find! I need to start hitting yard sales.
    So in other words, stop reading reviews and smoke more tobacco?
    Read! Think! Debate! Vote!

Nice find there. Hopefully I can have the same sort of luck as I am going to the 127 Corridor Yard Sale next week starting up in Ohio and going south from there.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Yamaha53's Avatar

For 5 Bucks I would run a pipe cleaner through it with Alcohol, wipe the bowl out and smoke it. Dont overcomplicate it, just enjoy it!

Thanks for all the advice guys. It doesn't look used much at all, and from what i read about sasieni seconds, the pipes are good, but they may have a small defect that even though they corrected with mud or putty, it wasn't deemed good enough for the Sasieni name. So i'm excited now. Just need to spend the time to clean her up so I can get her burning!

Enjoy it as it looks like she'll be a nice lil smoker.

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Fabulous get for $5! All I ever see at yard sales is old matrix printers, chintzy kitchenware and bad clothing.)
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_mich View Post
    It doesn't look used much at all, and from what i read about sasieni seconds, the pipes are good...
    Good? GOOD!?

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    It's a Sasieni second. Fabulous get for $5! (Why don't these things ever happen to me? All I ever see at yard sales is old matrix printers, chintzy kitchenware and bad clothing.)
    Never heard of Glenderry as a Sasieni second. . .they didn't use a "Made in London England" stamp, as far as I know. But rather a "Made in England" stamp, in sort of an oval/football shape.

Either way, it looks to be a great find for $5.

Just wondering where the Sasieni ID came from (I happen to love Sasieni seconds as well).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast