Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

OMG, mold!!!

This is a discussion on OMG, mold!!! within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by Nick S. I had some 2 year old LBF and there was no plume on it. But ...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Xodar's Avatar

Re: OMG, mold!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick S. View Post
    I had some 2 year old LBF and there was no plume on it. But it was still very good.
    Aye, I am not surprised, I have never been let down by a Stokkebye tobacco. I also smoke a lot of MacB. The science involved in plume is somewhere between alchemy and phrenology, I don't understand what makes one plume and another age without it. I have noticed that darker tobaccos generally are the ones that develop plume, but it may just be that it is easier to see on them

There was another post a while back when one of the elder tobaccologists had isolated some plume and found that it was not even water soluble, which would eliminate the most common forms of sugar. Some mystery excretion of the sugar, the oil, and to quote CQ "pixie dust". I just know it generally means I am about to have a very good smoke!

Puffer Fish with some spikes

It seems to be a pretty random/odd occourance. Ive got lots of tobacco in jars that stays over 80* in the summer time with no issues.
    Ive opened up a perfectly kept tubo cigar only to find mold everywhere.

Leading Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Xodar View Post
    I have noticed that darker tobaccos generally are the ones that develop plume
    Same here, I have some 2 year old SG Navy Flake that sparkles and shines through the jar because of the plume/crystals...

I just know it generally means I am about to have a very good smoke!
    I agree!

I have some FVF and 1792 that have been sitting in jars aging away, and after 9 months, I'm starting to see bloom, crystals forming. looks wonderful
    troy

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

It's probably just magnesium.
    Puff the Magic Blowfish lived in the sea; But how he smoked underwater is a mystery to me.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Xodar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tritones View Post
    It's probably just magnesium.
    I'd pay good money to watch a guy smoke a magnesium laced bowl...

But I'd do it from 10 feet away

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

I'd pay good money to watch a guy smoke a magnesium laced bowl...

But I'd do it from 10 feet away
    Agreed!

But actually "magnesium" was an answer to a question relating to the cause of the flavors found in ISOM cigars. It just seemed so perfect, like "It's just plume" whenever anyone has any issue with a cigar. So, it's my go-to answer when a question has been well-discussed and I have nothing to add.
    Puff the Magic Blowfish lived in the sea; But how he smoked underwater is a mystery to me.

A couple of months ago I opened an 8 oz pouch of Penzance after noticing pin holes in the corners of the bag. This is what the flakes looked like. Other tins I've smoked didn't have the white ribboning. My first thought was that it was mold. I looked at it under a strong light and poked and scraped the white areas to see if they were furry. They were not.

So I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed or has had this experience with Penzance?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mirain; 08-08-2011 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mirain View Post
    A couple of months ago I opened an 8 oz pouch of Penzance after noticing pin holes in the corners of the bag. This is what the flakes looked like. Other tins I've smoked didn't have the white ribboning. My first thought was that it was mold. I looked at it under a strong light and poked and scraped the white areas to see if they were furry. They were not.

So I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed or has had this experience with Penzance?
    Yes, I've seen some of it on my oldest tins of Penzance. As long it isn't fuzzy and is more like sugar crystals, you're good. Any flake, even an oriental/latakia heavy flake like Penzance, is more likely to develop it over time.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoB View Post
    Yes, I've seen some of it on my oldest tins of Penzance. As long it isn't fuzzy and is more like sugar crystals, you're good. Any flake, even an oriental/latakia heavy flake like Penzance, is more likely to develop it over time.
    Thanks. Even if it were mold I'd be hard pressed to toss it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2