Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

OMG, mold!!!

This is a discussion on OMG, mold!!! within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I had about a tin and a half of IF in a half-pint mason jar. I guess its been in ...

  
  1. #1

    Codger In Training gahdzila's Avatar


     

    OMG, mold!!!

    I had about a tin and a half of IF in a half-pint mason jar. I guess its been in there at least two months, probably a bit more. It's been over a month since I even looked at the stuff, TBH. Pulled it out today, and lo and behold - a small patch of mold, maybe 1/2 inch in diameter, stretching across several flakes. Bright white, very fuzzy looking.

    Obviously, I tossed the flakes that it was directly on, but I picked out a couple of flakes that were far away from it, and packed them up to smoke tonight. It can't kill me, right? There's still several flakes in the jar that looked ok....guess I'll have to smoke those up quick.

    Any ideas on what I should do to prevent any further mold growth on my other stuff? My jars are all sealed up tight, they're in the shade, but its warm here and often reaches 78 degrees in my house.

  2. #2

    Pipe Carver HWiebe's Avatar


     

    Re: OMG, mold!!!

    Is this a common problem with pipe tobacco?

  3. #3

    Sot-weed Bohemian freestoke's Avatar


     

    Re: OMG, mold!!!

    About all I can think to do about it is dry it out more. As long as the mold taste hasn't permeated the whole container, leave it out and smoke it as fast as possible. Don't think it'll hurt you, though, it'll just taste like a dank cellar.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

  4. #4

    Leading Puffer Fish ChronoB's Avatar


     

    Re: OMG, mold!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by HWiebe View Post
    Is this a common problem with pipe tobacco?
    No, but on rare occasions you might open a tin to find some mold in there.


    gahdzila,
    Unless you're particularly sensitive or allergic to mold I doubt you'd have any problem if there were small amounts in the tobacco that's left and you smoke it. I suspect it would simply burn up.

    Seems the mold spores got in there after you opened the tin and jarred the tobacco (otherwise you would have seen some when you first opened the tin), creating a nice airtight environment for it to grow on your nice, moist flakes in the warm 78 degree environment.

    Your greater concern may be that you have mold in your house somewhere. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it isn't behind a wall or something. Might want to check basement/crawlspace/attic areas.

  5. #5

    Codger In Training gahdzila's Avatar


     

    Re: OMG, mold!!!

    Smoking it now, tastes just fine. I'm mostly a cigar guy and only smoke the pipe occasionally, but I guess I'll try to smoke up the rest of this IF in the next few days. Good to hear this isn't particularly common.

  6. #6

    Maturing Puffer Fish JD11's Avatar


     

    Re: OMG, mold!!!

    I have heard of people wiping mold off cigars and smoking them , so I guess pipe baccy could be smoked after wiping it off.. but I'm with the OP , why take the chance ? just scrap the affected flakes ..

  7. #7

    Nee "Tashaz" Mante's Avatar


     

    Re: OMG, mold!!!

    Scrap the affected flakes yes, smoke the rest. Mold is a lot more common in our daily lives than many are aware of and to be honest should not be of high concern methinks due to the constant exposure we all experience (Spores are everywhere unless you live in the desert or the polar regions).

    On a different note, were the jars sterilized before filling? My first thought is that if the mold is apparent in one small section & contained to that area then maybe the spores were introduced while filling the jar.
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

  8. #8

    Don't Thread On Me asmartbull's Avatar


     

    Re: OMG, mold!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by JD11 View Post
    I have heard of people wiping mold off cigars and smoking them , so I guess pipe baccy could be smoked after wiping it off.. but I'm with the OP , why take the chance ? just scrap the affected flakes ..
    This is true, unless the mold is on the foot. Mold on the foot = toss it.
    An "oath" has no expiration date......

  9. #9

    Young Puffer Fish


     

    Re: OMG, mold!!!

    If the white appeared to be tiny crystals, that was the natural sugars. If they were strands of white or appeared to be a flat white coating, that was mold. I have never seen actual white mold grow on tobacco, I guess I have been lucky. But I have often seen the appearance of sugar crystals on aging VA flakes and even in some freshly popped tins of Virginia tobaccos.

    You can use a strong magnifying glass or a jewelers glass and look at the white marks. If there is structure like webbing to it, it is mold. If it looks like crystals it is sugar, ploom, or whatever it is that happens to well aged flakes and it is safe to smoke.

    You can always err on the side of caution and go by the adage, "When in doubt, throw it out". But I suggest that you learn the difference between mold and sugar crystals (if that is what it really is) because if you throw out everything that you are unsure of, you could be missing out on some truly tasty, aged tobacco.


    Rich
    4noggins.com

  10. #10

    Nee "Tashaz" Mante's Avatar


     

    Re: OMG, mold!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by 4noggins View Post
    If the white appeared to be tiny crystals, that was the natural sugars. If they were strands of white or appeared to be a flat white coating, that was mold. I have never seen actual white mold grow on tobacco, I guess I have been lucky. But I have often seen the appearance of sugar crystals on aging VA flakes and even in some freshly popped tins of Virginia tobaccos.

    You can use a strong magnifying glass or a jewelers glass and look at the white marks. If there is structure like webbing to it, it is mold. If it looks like crystals it is sugar, ploom, or whatever it is that happens to well aged flakes and it is safe to smoke.

    You can always err on the side of caution and go by the adage, "When in doubt, throw it out". But I suggest that you learn the difference between mold and sugar crystals (if that is what it really is) because if you throw out everything that you are unsure of, you could be missing out on some truly tasty, aged tobacco.


    Rich
    4noggins.com
    Nicely said Rich.

    (A Customer in Western Australia)
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

  11. #11

    Elder Puffer Fish Leader indigosmoke's Avatar


     

    Re: OMG, mold!!!

    This thread has some good pics of some FVF with crystals for those new to the question of mold vs crystals:

    Mold, sugar, or...?

    And this is a good thread on mold/crystals with photos of both:

    Mold, Plume or Sugar?
    “The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck

  12. #12

    Codger In Training gahdzila's Avatar


     

    Re: OMG, mold!!!

    Thanks for the links to the pics. I guess I should've shot a couple of pics to show you guys. But this was definitely mold. White, fuzzy, and sorta "raised" from the surface, if that makes sense. It was on the edge of the flakes, and was spreading from flake to flake. It was not anywhere else that wasn't exposed to the air in the jar.

    It was Peterson Irish Flake, a pretty popular tobacco, and I bought it from a popular online vendor, so I seriously doubt they had it very long before they shipped it to me....and I've only had it a few months. Plume and sugar crystals take years to show up, right?

  13. #13

    Deviant Gentleman The Mad Professor's Avatar


     

    Re: OMG, mold!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by gahdzila View Post
    Thanks for the links to the pics. I guess I should've shot a couple of pics to show you guys. But this was definitely mold. White, fuzzy, and sorta "raised" from the surface, if that makes sense. It was on the edge of the flakes, and was spreading from flake to flake. It was not anywhere else that wasn't exposed to the air in the jar.

    It was Peterson Irish Flake, a pretty popular tobacco, and I bought it from a popular online vendor, so I seriously doubt they had it very long before they shipped it to me....and I've only had it a few months. Plume and sugar crystals take years to show up, right?
    Haha, here I got just the pipe for ya to smoke that out of!

    I'm currently trying to clean a calabash pipe with similar mold inside!


  14. #14

    Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Xodar's Avatar


     

    Re: OMG, mold!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by gahdzila View Post
    Thanks for the links to the pics. I guess I should've shot a couple of pics to show you guys. But this was definitely mold. White, fuzzy, and sorta "raised" from the surface, if that makes sense. It was on the edge of the flakes, and was spreading from flake to flake. It was not anywhere else that wasn't exposed to the air in the jar.

    It was Peterson Irish Flake, a pretty popular tobacco, and I bought it from a popular online vendor, so I seriously doubt they had it very long before they shipped it to me....and I've only had it a few months. Plume and sugar crystals take years to show up, right?
    I think it's a case by case thing actually. Sam Gawith tobaccos seem to start showing plume in just a few months in many cases. I have some Penzance that has been jarred less than six months and it's already starting to sugar up on the edges. I have Stokkebye and Mac Baren flakes that were jarred the month prior to the penzance with no visible crystals at all (and I have never seen a pic of a Stokkebye or MacB tobacco that showed the same kind of plume I find on nearly any SG tobacco after a short time).

  15. #15

    Leading Puffer Fish


     

    Re: OMG, mold!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Xodar View Post
    I have never seen a pic of a Stokkebye or MacB tobacco that showed the same kind of plume I find on nearly any SG tobacco after a short time.
    I had some 2 year old LBF and there was no plume on it. But it was still very good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •