Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Dublin, how broke will I be afterwards?

This is a discussion on Dublin, how broke will I be afterwards? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; So, in 20 days or so, I have a conference in Dublin (ISI, if anyone else is going). Now, I ...

Young Puffer Fish

Dublin, how broke will I be afterwards?

So, in 20 days or so, I have a conference in Dublin (ISI, if anyone else is going). Now, I can probably sneak in half a day of running around Dublin, and I will of course visit Petersons shop on Grafton Street. Now, what should I get, and how broke will I be at the end of it all?

I absolutely neeeeed a new pipe, and I absolutely love my Savinelli Long John, anything Peterson can contribute to this Italian dream?

Some new baccies... I would love to try some of the rarer ones.

And while I am in Ireland, some good Whiskey suggestions? Again, I would love something that is good, but a little rare (If I can get it here, I will probably buy it here).

Any suggestions?

No longer a community member.

Re: Dublin, how broke will I be afterwards?

Make sure to pick up some of those lakeland OTC's that we cant get here in North America.

Don't hold back. In my travels I've visited many pipe shops and, for one reason or another, walked away without picking up some unique finds. To this day I've regretted not pulling the trigger.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Xodar's Avatar

Bushmill's has the oldest license to distill in Ireland, 1608. I had a friend who returned with a bottle only available at the distillery and inscribed to him personally. Unfotunately they are closer to Belfast than Dublin. Still, the Irish take their whiskey seriously, should be able to find a number worth trying = )

Elder Puffer Fish Leader indigosmoke's Avatar

Perhaps, if you have the time, you could visit the Peterson factory.

"Visitors to our factory are most welcome but - visits are by appointment only:-
    Monday - Thursday: from 11o'clock to 1 o'clock mornings and from 2 o'clock to 4 o'clock in the afternoon. No Visits are permitted on Friday.

You must 'phone our factory manager, Mr. Tony Whelan, when you arrive in Dublin to arrange a day and time to visit (01-2851011)."

Here's a video Dub did when he visited the factory.

“The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinuz View Post
    Everything Peterson can contribute to this Italian dream.
    I fixed it for you

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Xodar View Post
    Bushmill's has the oldest license to distill in Ireland, 1608. I had a friend who returned with a bottle only available at the distillery and inscribed to him personally. Unfotunately they are closer to Belfast than Dublin. Still, the Irish take their whiskey seriously, should be able to find a number worth trying = )
    Ooooh, now I am sorry I did not extend my stay from two days... I will arrive Tuesday, conference on Wednesday, and leave Thursday afternoon. Also sad, because I just found out the Peterson store is only open on Thursday...which, if I am on the doorstep at opening, leaves me about an hour to do all things. So yeah, maybe not the best idea to just rush in there and grab a pipe, just for the sake of having it from the Peterson store.

Oh, one thing, I live in Belgium... not North America, so Dublin is around the corner for me. ;-)

Puffer Fish with many spikes Diodon nepheligina's Avatar

Just an idea...personalized bottles of whisky make great gifts; I got one as a gift from the Jameson distillery years ago and loved it.
    "When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened or not. " ~Mark Twain

Puffer Fish with some spikes IrishCamel81's Avatar

My wife and I went for our 5yr in March. I missed the oppurtunity to visit the factory but did stop at the store on Grafton St, or was it O'Connel? Trinity library is unreal,St Patricks Cathedral is awesome and the musuem of archaeology has a very interesting bog body display. Money wise, just kiss it goodbye.

Watched the At Paddy's day parade in a tree in St. Patricks Cathedral park, I figured if people were climbing on Daniel O'Connell, the tree would be kosher.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

wow the famous Peterson store is only open 1 day out of the week. guess if I ever do get across the pond I will have to make sure to leave a thursday open to see the famous store
    troy

You will be too broke to return and resume a normal life here. You will be forced to take up residence in Ireland, spending all your time in pubs drinking Guinness and singing Irish songs. (I dealt out a tin of Irish Flake and read your fate, just for kicks.) The worst part of what the flakes had to say -- perhaps I shouldn't tell you this -- you will become addicted to Irish stepdancing.

Last edited by freestoke; 08-06-2011 at 09:55 AM.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Full grown Puffer Fish

How broke? Very. Dublin is an expensive city. Probably not quite so bad coming from the Eurozone but going over from the UK it is pricey.

Dublin: Fresh Guinness. Yummmmm........
    You know what I hate? That there is no Taco Bell on the way to work!! You know what I love? That there is no Taco Bell on the way to work!!

Whiskey recommendation: Tyrconnell

It is to Irish whiskey what Macallen is to Scotch whiskey.

Can be found in the U.S. as well, but it's not easy to find.

CWL

Everyone needs a bottle of whiskey from the year of their birth and a good stout Irish Blackthorn walking stick.