Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help me select some tobac..

This is a discussion on Help me select some tobac.. within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; B&m just got these in... What's good? McLelland Dominican glory Anniversary 77-2010 Jubile Arcade British woods Royal cajun Orient 996 ...

King of All Puffer Fish KcJason1's Avatar

Help me select some tobac..

B&m just got these in... What's good?

McLelland
    Dominican glory
    Anniversary 77-2010
    Jubile
    Arcade
    British woods
    Royal cajun
    Orient 996
    Dark star
    Black woods
    Christmas cheer
    Holiday spirit
    St James woods

Samuel gawith
    Balkin flake

Frog Morton
    Accross the pond
    Across the bayou

Escudo Navy Flake

Thanks
    Jason

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Xodar's Avatar

Re: Help me select some tobac..

Christmas cheer and holiday spirit are the seasonals they offer every year, I believe they change some year to year as well. I haven't tried a frog I didn't like, and Escudo is delicious and ages very well.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader piperdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KcJason1 View Post
    B&m just got these in... What's good?

McLelland
    Dominican glory
    Anniversary 77-2010
    Jubile
    Arcade
    British woods
    Royal cajun
    Orient 996
    Dark star
    Black woods
    Christmas cheer
    Holiday spirit
    St James woods

Samuel gawith
    Balkin flake

Frog Morton
    Accross the pond
    Across the bayou

Escudo Navy Flake

Thanks
    Jason

I enjoy the Christmas cheer. I've got a couple of tins set aside for aging and have been smoking a 2006 that I got from a fellow puffer.
    Across the pond is good also.
    Many of the other ones I haven't tried yet.

CWL

You can always go to tobaccoreviews.com for an extensive review of almost all tobaccos that can be found in the USA. This can give you an idea of what's generally liked.

Are you a new pipe smoker? Do you prefer your smokes to be similar to cigars? If you are new to pipes, I suggest that you start with blends with Latakia in them, or Virginia+periques (VaPers). Straight Virginias (VA) take a while to become accustomed to and cigar smokers tend to over-puff and burn their tongues on these (like me).

As a cigar-to-pipes guy, here are what I like, with my favorites in bold.

McLelland
    Anniversary 77-2010
    Jubilee
    Arcade
    British woods
    Royal cajun
    Dark star
    Black woods -caution, this is pure VA
    Christmas cheer - Pure VA
    Holiday spirit -aromatic
    St James woods
    Samuel gawith Balkin flake
    Frog Morton
    Accross the pond
    Across the bayou
    Escudo Navy Flake

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

What's good? Jason
    All of it, to somebody. Some of it's harder to smoke than others. Some of it you wouldn't want to smoke in the same pipe after other of it.

How many pipes you got? What have you already smoked and enjoyed?
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

No longer a community member.

TobaccoReviews.com = win

Also get purple cow.
    *shameless promotion of favorite blend*

I would say I am a new smoker.. I only own cobs, about 3-4 of them..
    Here's what's in my stock.. Maybe that can help you guys decide what I might like..

Esoterica penzance 1lb
    Esoterica Stonehaven 2oz
    Esoterica Tilbury 50g
    Peterson holiday 2010 100g

As you can see I love the penzance so I stocked up.. I was gifted stonehaven and love it as well.. The others are good, but are no Stoney or penz..

CWL

I would say I am a new smoker.. I only own cobs, about 3-4 of them..
    Here's what's in my stock.. Maybe that can help you guys decide what I might like..

Esoterica penzance 1lb
    Esoterica Stonehaven 2oz
    Esoterica Tilbury 50g
    Peterson holiday 2010 100g

As you can see I love the penzance so I stocked up.. I was gifted stonehaven and love it as well.. The others are good, but are no Stoney or penz..
    I stick with my recommendations above, but you may want to pass on the full Virginias like Blackwoods Flake for now.

If it was one only, go with the Frog Morton Across the Pond. You will enjoy trying the differences between the Cyprian Latakia in the Penzance and the more rare and subtle Syrian Latakia used in FMATP.

2nd Choice would be Escudo. Time for you to try a VaPer.

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

...The others are good, but are no Stoney or penz..
    Ha! Those are two very special blends for many, many pipers - me included.

Keep one cob for smoking blends with latakia in them. These blends are variously called english, oriental and/or balkan. One sniff tells you they contain latakia - same as Penzance. You'll recognize the scent. Latakia scent hangs (ghosts) in a pipe so you don't want to smoke non-latakia blends in your latakia pipe - it'll mess up the taste.

Keep another just for virginia, virgina blends (like virginia-perique, aka vaper, virginia-burley or virginia-cavendish). You can use that same pipe for many burley blends (loike Stonehaven) too, if they do not have a VERY obvious added flavoring like vanilla, cherry, etc. That covers a lot of ground.

The highly flavored blends are called aromatics. Keep a pipe or two around for them. The flavorings will usually stick in the pipe for a while and affect the taste of the next blend you try. Fact of life with aromatics. If you favor a number of them you may want a few spare cobs hanging around.

There isn't anything on your B&M list that isn't good stuff but nobody can say if you'll like it or not, except you.

Penzance and Stonehaven are two benchmark blends. So are Escudo, Blackwoods and Christmas Cheer. The "Frog" blends are very popular but will pale beside Penzance for most smokers - like Chimay on tap compared to Coors Light in a can. There can be times for either one but if you like Chimay...

All of the above is like the Pirate Code - more like guidelines than anything else. Five other folks may have six other approaches that make just as much sense. Follow your nose.

Here are facts you can take to the bank. Fill a pipe evenly to light resistance on your initial draw - almost like an open, punched cigar; try to light the entire top of the bowl; sip, don't puff, to keep the pipe cool; relight whenever necessary; use a fluffy pipecleaner anytime (midsmoke)you get moisture or a gurgle in the pipe; and tamp whenever needed but always tamp lighter than you think you should. If you plug up a pipe, dump it and start again instead of poking a gazillion holes in the plug.

"But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

Coming from cigars, I'd say try the Dominican Glory. It comes in regular and maduro varieties, and includes cigar leaf. I've enjoyed it the couple of occasions I've had it. And the Royal Cajun has three varieties I think. I've had the Ebony, and if I remember right was a little earthier than usual. Kinda dirt campfire-ish, but in a good way. And a lot of what's listed has a big following among VA guys, Escudo, Dark Star, Black Woods...

No longer a community member.

Buy one tin of everything, thats what I say.
    Your sure to find something you like.
    HA HA HA

Picked up some Holiday Cheer and Escudo..

I am heavily into cigars and was told

"Escudo in a cob".........

Great advise I am just passing along.
    An "oath" has no expiration date......

Quote Originally Posted by asmartbull View Post
    I am heavily into cigars and was told

"Escudo in a cob".........

Great advise I am just passing along.
    Thanks.. That's the plan. I'm to cheap to buy a nice briar at the moment, to wrapped up in building the ISOM collection... Besides I like having a different cob for every blend I have and they're cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by CWL View Post
    I stick with my recommendations above, but you may want to pass on the full Virginias like Blackwoods Flake for now.

If it was one only, go with the Frog Morton Across the Pond. You will enjoy trying the differences between the Cyprian Latakia in the Penzance and the more rare and subtle Syrian Latakia used in FMATP.

2nd Choice would be Escudo. Time for you to try a VaPer.
    I 2nd the recommendation from CWL, he was nice enough to send me a 3 year old sample of Frog Morton Across the Pond, was love at first taste, Escudo, can't get enough of it, need lbs, heh but I need lbs of everything else I enjoy
    troy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast