Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Good ROTT ?

This is a discussion on Good ROTT ? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by KcJason1 What of the tin is 5 years old? You don't know if it's aged or fresh.. ...

Maturing Puffer Fish

Re: Good ROTT ?

Quote Originally Posted by KcJason1 View Post
    What of the tin is 5 years old? You don't know if it's aged or fresh.. Or is ROTT packed directly in Pipe and not allowed to dry 20min before packing?

Well technically its all aged to some point...even cigar tobacco has age "right off the table". So technically there is no "fresh" tobacco as it would taste horrible. Just like CC's have a sick period due to continued gas release after rolling. Just read the description of the better NC's, Special tobacco aged in a cellar for three years before its rolled, etc...

Its more a state of mind to say ROTT in any tobacco related conversation. Just tried to give the pipe smokers our own acronym for it.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bullofspadez View Post
    Well technically its all aged to some point...even cigar tobacco has age "right off the table". So technically there is no "fresh" tobacco as it would taste horrible. Just like CC's have a sick period due to continued gas release after rolling. Just read the description of the better NC's, Special tobacco aged in a cellar for three years before its rolled, etc...

Its more a state of mind to say ROTT in any tobacco related conversation. Just tried to give the pipe smokers our own acronym for it.
    You mean you have never smoked a Cuban or Non Cuban cigar right off the torcedors table?
    That my friend is a special treat put it on your bucket list!!!!!!!!!!!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Maturing Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBrooklyn View Post
    You mean you have never smoked a Cuban or Non Cuban cigar right off the torcedors table?
    That my friend is a special treat put it on your bucket list!!!!!!!!!!!
    Still aged... Unless you pick the leaf(off the plant) and have a torcedor roll it right there. I'm sure that's a treat too. Fact is ROTT is a relative term to when "most" people would smoke something. Hence the different meanings, Off the truck or off the table(im sure the latter is a minority).

The question was about aging pipe tobacco, that turned into aging any tobacco...

People were tossing out the meanings of ROTT, and I added one that pertains to pipe tobacco...Fact is its all aged before we smoke it!

How much longer to age things and if its makes a difference is the topic.

WOW, like ROTT really was a literal meaning! ROTT is a term for "fresh". And yes some tins have dates on them and can be "fresh" and smoked ROTT. So whether they are pre aged before tinning or not would be irrelevant to the time the person purchases and then decides to open; now or 5yrs later.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bullofspadez View Post
    Still aged... Unless you pick the leaf(off the plant) and have a torcedor roll it right there. I'm sure that's a treat too. Fact is ROTT is a relative term to when "most" people would smoke something. Hence the different meanings, Off the truck or off the table(im sure the latter is a minority).

The question was about aging pipe tobacco, that turned into aging any tobacco...

People were tossing out the meanings of ROTT, and I added one that pertains to pipe tobacco...Fact is its all aged before we smoke it!

How much longer to age things and if its makes a difference is the topic.

WOW, like ROTT really was a literal meaning! ROTT is a term for "fresh". And yes some tins have dates on them and can be "fresh" and smoked ROTT. So whether they are pre aged before tinning or not would be irrelevant to the time the person purchases and then decides to open; now or 5yrs later.
    Most disagree ROTT for cigars means just that! Leaves that are cured fermented but barely aged! That are rolled and smoked immediately are considered ROTT!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Maturing Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBrooklyn View Post
    Most disagree ROTT for cigars means just that! Leaves that are cured fermented but barely aged! That are rolled and smoked immediately are considered ROTT!
    ROTT = Right Off The Truck
    wwwDOTpuffDOTcom/forums/vb/cigar-questions/245802-cigar-acronyms-what-does-mean

Guess that's why there might as well be another meaning for pipes...

Anyway, OP...I will add this to the conundrum. My first tin had no date, it was a 50g tin of Gordon Pym, it was my Latakia door opener. I loved it to the last pinch. A year later, I got another tin. This is nowhere near as good. I can't say if it was an aged tin the first go-round. Or if they changed blends, or an off year for the tobacco they used. But as soon as I opened the new tin it just looked different. I am hoping that it ages to something that resembles the last tin. Here's hoping. I do believe in aging, as I have had the same outcome you have with your CC's.

And after a year I see some great plume on some of my stored flake tobacco. Yet I tried some stored Shortcut to Mushrooms that a year has done practically nothing to.

I should have been more clear....
    By ROTT,I meant = Very young
    Example...In the cigar world a box code of 09/11 would be ROTT
    Sorry for taking this sideways
    An "oath" has no expiration date......

RJPuff sums it up pretty well with Virginias and VaPers, out of the tin they don't taste right. 6 months aging is the bare min before you want to smoke them. after that, age as long as you can stand
    He's right, Virginias that I've tried fresh out of the tin don't taste right, I've got pounds of Virginias, Va/pers that are aging away, and I'm afraid to open any of them.
    Latakia, hmmm if Peace say soo, and he knows his tobacco, I will start to bottle up Latakias, and Orintals, glad I stuck all the Pensances I got ahold of
    troy

Quote Originally Posted by asmartbull View Post
    Gents
    Again, another noobish question.
    In the cigar world, aging is often talked about. 95% of my Habanos require
    2 yrs of aging to be smokable. 5% are good right off the truck. Most NC's are good with a little " rest".

Are there some tobaccos that smoke better than others young?

What blend/brands benefit the best with aging?

What period of time is considered "aging" ?

Thanks in advance...
    Here's my take:

1. Aromatics are best young; the flavoring seems to dissipate quickly in older tins once opened.

2. Virginias and VaPers are the best, followed by Orientals without latakia, then blends with latakia.

3. Five to six years. Changes are noticable (particularly if you do a side-by-side comparison with an unaged tin) in Virginias after about two years. Unfortunately, after smoking HOTW at close to that age, I have no interest in smoking it at six months anymore, so 'let the smoker beware'...
    Last edited by MarkC; 08-07-2011 at 03:14 AM.
    ********.com

Thanks Gents....
    Just what I needed....
    Al
    An "oath" has no expiration date......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2