Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Good ROTT ?

This is a discussion on Good ROTT ? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Gents Again, another noobish question. In the cigar world, aging is often talked about. 95% of my Habanos require 2 ...

Good ROTT ?

Gents
    Again, another noobish question.
    In the cigar world, aging is often talked about. 95% of my Habanos require
    2 yrs of aging to be smokable. 5% are good right off the truck. Most NC's are good with a little " rest".

Are there some tobaccos that smoke better than others young?

What blend/brands benefit the best with aging?

What period of time is considered "aging" ?

Thanks in advance...
    An "oath" has no expiration date......

Re: Good ROTT ?

Virginias and English blends benefit the most from aging. Burleys and aromatics the least. In fact some people say aromatics deteriorate with age. A year makes a big difference, but even six months helps. Aging pipe tobacco is a relatively new concept. Fifty years ago the conventional wisdom was to buy it fresh and smoke it as soon as possible. I have tried it both ways, and wih Virginias, Vapers and English blends I can see the improvement aging makes.
    Those that know don't tell, and those that tell don't know.

By "age", are we talking 1 yr, 3yr, 10yr ?

Is there a point that they fall off,,,as do many cigars?

There is a point where they do fall off, but I have some three year old tobaccos that have just gotten better with time. Unless a tobacco is exceptional I think ten years would be pushing it.
    Those that know don't tell, and those that tell don't know.

thanks Nick
    Much appreciated

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Some quick age it in an oven or microwave they swear by it!
    Say they that it is equivalent to years of aging!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Here's some good info from Greg Pease's website. Hopefully I'm not breaking any rules by posting it:

Virginias, with their high sugar content, are the best candidates for very long-term aging, and the changes they undergo is certainly to their benefit. Virginia blends with perique seem to have an almost immortal quality to them. While I can’t say whether they continue to improve, or even to change, they don’t seem to ever find the downhill slump, even after decades of cellaring.

Behind Virginia, the leaf with the longest life expectancy would be the oriental tobaccos. They develop some amazing floral notes in the tin, and deliver richness and complexity far beyond what they are capable of when young. However, there does seem to be a limit, and at some point, they begin a decline. They lose some of their bouquet, the spice begins to dilute, and they can even develop a slightly barnyard nose. These characteristics are not exactly unpleasant, but neither do they present a peak experience.

Latakia is an interesting tobacco. At first, it goes through a softening period. Some of this is simply the intermingling of its essential oils with the other tobaccos in the blend, but part of it is also a fermentative transformation of some of its more astringent aromatic compounds. (The organic chemistry lab in that little tin is remarkably complex. Some reactions are fairly quick, while others are very slow.) After it has married and melded with the other leaf in the blend, the Latakia goes through a stage where it seems to actually gain richness and complexity. Its youthful exuberance is tempered, and a more balanced nature is delivered to the smoker. All of this happens over an 18-month to two year period in most cases. Beyond that, the Latakia seems to remain relatively stable for years, perhaps a couple decades, before it begins its slow decline, during which time, it moves toward becoming very soft, and depending on the percentage in the blend, it can all but disappear. As with orientals, it doesn’t become unpleasant, but its punch is gone from both the aroma and the flavor.

At the two year point, a mixture or blend has begun to come into its own, and display its true colors in full fidelity. While it has not reached its peak yet, it’s at this point that the smoker can begin to fully enjoy the complexity and balance of the blend.

Im here to discover what ROTT stands for
    Pipe Tobacco Lotto winner for July 2014!

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by Troutman22 View Post
    Right off the truck

Quote Originally Posted by Troutman22 View Post
    Right off the truck or in the case of cigars Right off the table!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Maturing Puffer Fish

How about Right Out The Tin...for the pipe guys

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by bullofspadez View Post
    ^ win!

Quote Originally Posted by Nachman View Post
    Aging pipe tobacco is a relatively new concept.
    Unlike now, the Dunhills and Sobranies I smoked in the distant past were aged for quite a while before I bought them. The tobaccos in the Dunhill blends were aged anywhere from 3 to 5 years before blending (from memory on a rather long article I read on this recently), then another 2 or 3 years after blending before tinning up and putting them on the market. The big black and white Balkan Sobranie can had a note somewhere (printed on the bottom of the lid? on a piece of paper inside covering the tocacco? anybody remember?) that the tobacco was buried in the ground in wooden casks for 5 years before it ever started toward London. It's this pre-aging that came to an end for Dunhill, even before Orlik took over.

Aging tobacco is overhead for blenders. No math required. In such vast quantities over long periods, there's no doubt the problem of losing a substantial amount of tobacco to mold or mildew, not to mention storage space and inventory tracking. Like so many other things, they don't do it like they used to. It's a do it yourself world these days.

Fifty years ago the conventional wisdom was to buy it fresh and smoke it as soon as possible.
    Just in case it might start to get too old. I wonder if FVF is as old when it hits the counter as it was, in say, 1965? Maybe it was still true that it would have gotten better back then and nobody knew!
    Last edited by freestoke; 08-06-2011 at 04:07 PM.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

King of All Puffer Fish KcJason1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bullofspadez View Post
    What of the tin is 5 years old? You don't know if it's aged or fresh.. Or is ROTT packed directly in Pipe and not allowed to dry 20min before packing?

Quote Originally Posted by KcJason1 View Post
    What of the tin is 5 years old? You don't know if it's aged or fresh.. Or is ROTT packed directly in Pipe and not allowed to dry 20min before packing?
    This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jimi Hendrix

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast