Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 116 of 185 FirstFirst ... 16 66 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 166 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,740 of 2763

Snuff - What's in your nose?

This is a discussion on Snuff - What's in your nose? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by TTecheTTe Ammonia - oops, sorry, cannister says Dholakia White... My first post in a week or more ...

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Re: Snuff - What's in your nose?

Quote Originally Posted by TTecheTTe View Post
    Ammonia - oops, sorry, cannister says Dholakia White...
    My first post in a week or more (long story), but this I could not pass up. HA! I'm almost out - which means just wait, it'll grow on you.
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

F&T Seville.

Been doing a lot of WOS Gold Label lately. It has a better nose burn than other SPs and has some lemon and perhaps lavender added to the bergamot scent. The tobacco is also different as it is a Virginia flour.
    Those that know don't tell, and those that tell don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    The distinct aroma of almonds...
    No, wait. It's just GH&Co Almond..
    I don't get the almonds at all...sigh...expected it to be like Marzipan.

Quote Originally Posted by ProbateGeek View Post
    My first post in a week or more (long story), but this I could not pass up. HA! I'm almost out - which means just wait, it'll grow on you.
    Ahh, DW already had me at the first "HEEELLOOO"...

Macouba yesterday (yummy, love it) and SG Red Crest today which is very pleasant. I just love the Chocolate!

So, how many tins can one have open at a time, and for how long?

One is too many for sensible individuals. I currently have 4 or 5 open, so hopefully for a long time.

Elmer's.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

I have had four tins intermittently open for almost one year, with no indication of essence diminishment. Stored in a cool, dark place when not in use (as opposed to the warm, dark place where it all eventually ends up).
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

I have about ten open, but use the same two or three most of the time. Some don't loose anything no matter how much time passes, some loose scent rapidly.

I don't get the almonds at all...sigh...expected it to be like Marzipan.
    I took a bit of this again just now. Powdered marzipan it is. Sometimes I don't get it on the first dose. Simply keep shoveling it into your beak...

(I buy this in 25g tubs - maybe a different format won't be as fresh? This tub has been about for a good few months.)
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

It depends what you mean by "open". The F&T tubes have an excellent seal and can be briefly opened for transfer to a little tin or box for daily use almost indefinitely in my experience. I use these when empty for other less well packed snuffs. In less well sealed tins shelf life can be quite short, but still in the order of a few months.

Indefinitely is a relative term, however. I probably get through 25g or so of snuff a week. I've got probably 15 tubes of snuff on the go at any time. I rotate through them as I please; the least favoured ones will probably be used four ot five times less often than my favourites, so they must last up to a year. I've not noticed much deterioration in any dry snuff in this time. Moist or semi-moist ones do suffer from drying and consequent loss of aroma. The worst one in my experience was Samuel Gawith Chocolate snuff. Dries and loses much of its aroma. However, as this is such a fine snuff the trick is obviously to take it much more often. I've got a little bit left and may try to hydrate it to see if that helps. Still pretty good dry, though. Maddenly chocolatey and powerful.

Today, I have mostly been snuffing... G,H&Co Almond Snuff. And a bit of SG Chocolate.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

Sam Gawith Buck's Fizz.

I've been snuffing WOS Irish Toast No.22 lately, delightful.

I've also been trying to like Dholakia Black, but I hate it.
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

Quote Originally Posted by commonsenseman View Post
    I've been snuffing WOS Irish Toast No.22 lately, delightful.

I've also been trying to like Dholakia Black, but I hate it.
    Since I've been enjoying exclusively Dholakia White for about a week now (will this tin ever empty?) I wonder how the Black differs. "Hate" is a pretty strong word in the snuff context, since I couldn't say I hate even those I really don't think that great. What up?

Awaiting Confirmation karatekyle's Avatar

Pöschl Apricot. SO easy to take but the nicotine lasts mere seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by ProbateGeek View Post
    Since I've been enjoying exclusively Dholakia White for about a week now (will this tin ever empty?) I wonder how the Black differs. "Hate" is a pretty strong word in the snuff context, since I couldn't say I hate even those I really don't think that great. What up?
    D White is very fine and dry and has a slight fishy scent. D Black is moister and smells like a barnyard.

Quote Originally Posted by Nachman View Post
    D White is very fine and dry and has a slight fishy scent. D Black is moister and smells like a barnyard.
    Enjoying Morlaix (when am I not?) today.

Have to say that "barnyard" is actually appealing, at least in concept.

But I like kimchee, so there you have it.
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar