Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 119 of 185 FirstFirst ... 19 69 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 169 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,785 of 2763

Snuff - What's in your nose?

This is a discussion on Snuff - What's in your nose? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by Irfan Not what's in my nose, but what will be. I've just ordered two snuffs from Mr. ...

Re: Snuff - What's in your nose?

Quote Originally Posted by Irfan View Post
    Not what's in my nose, but what will be. I've just ordered two snuffs from Mr. Snuff, these being Toque Quit and Abraxas Premium Batch Coarse. I live and work in a place where I can smoke a pipe without limitation, and often have one going while I'm working throughout the day. Fine, but I've decided that eight pipes a day is too many. At the same time, I'm a confirmed nicotine addict. At various times in my past, I've given up all forms of indulgence, but it makes me fat and unhappy. I've decided that nasal snuff is a good way to approach the issue, way cooler than nicotine gum. I tried to make my own snuff, using a light, sweet, natural Indonesian pipe tobacco that I thought burned too quickly and was too light. I know the guy who blends it, he swears he doesn't add anything to it. I just dried it out in the tropical sun and then put it in a blender. It worked quite well, but I'd like to try a commercially (and expertly) prepared snuff as a bench-mark, to see how it compares to my home-made stuff.

I do find the "burn" a bit hard to deal with, but I'm guessing it might have more to do with my technique and my lack of experience than to the tobacco itself. I read some advice somewhere to snuff with lungs slightly inflated, which seems to help. Then, not to snuff too hard. Still brings tears to my eyes, it reminds me of wasabi paste on sashimi.

So, for a heavy nicotine addict who smokes a pipe, what do you think of the ones I picked? Make sense? What else would you recommend for a new-comer to snuff?
    Welcome to another slope! Don't know the Abraxas, but Toque Quit is pretty good stuff. I've come to quite enjoy snuffing for similar reasons, except that I am not able to have a bowl during the day while I can get a bit of snuff when I wish.
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Desertlifter View Post
    New one for me today - as I wanted to throw something new on the plate.

6 Photo Cheetah, generously bombed to me from the NST4P.

a. my eyeballs hurt.

b. not bad - I like it!
    Still haven't opened my vacuum-sealed very generous allotment of the 6 Photo Cheetah. Want to now, but will wait till I 'm through with the Dholakia White. Probably one more day's worth...
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

Full grown Puffer Fish

I kept a pile of Tambolaka in an old Twinings tea tin, but it can't have been very airtight. Very dry. So, in my search for a high-nic snuff, I decided to make up about half an ounce of snuff. I just put it in the blender and left it for a few mins. For some reason, it turned out a lot coarser than the other stuff. I just tried a fairly large huff: funny, it doesn't sting in the nose as much as the other tobacco, but this one puts me more on the verge of a sneeze. It's quite a pleasant taste, can feel it spreading over the back of my tongue. At first it was raisins, now like very bitter chocolate. Not unpleasant. Definitely giving me a bit of a kick, more than the other stuff.

Hmm. I perpetually worry about getting cut off from international tobacco supplies. At a pinch, I could make do with smoking some of the hybrid Tambolaka blends that my local pipe guy puts together, usually mixing Tambolaka with much lighter tobaccos. Nice to know that even if I don't manage to get my packet of snuff through, then I'll be able to make some myself.

(I don't usually gloat over my hoarded tobacco, but I have ten pounds of CnD Tuggle Hall in my cupboard, with a few of CnD Bayou Morning and some CnD Byzantium, which I bought to celebrate an IMP meer I bought ages ago. Nice idea, but I don't really like it that much. Tuggle Hall is definitely my main squeeze. I don't even want to try snuffing that, it's just too good in a pipe.)
    If I could write poetry, I'd be a poet. I can't, so I smoke a pipe instead ....

Quote Originally Posted by Irfan View Post
    ...I just put it in the blender and left it for a few mins. For some reason, it turned out a lot coarser than the other stuff...
    I'm not that surprised. Grinding snuff commercially uses some pretty hefty (and antiquated) equipment and even an extended blitz in a blender is unikely to get a uniform fine snuff. Some will be the desired dust, but not all. Might be an idea to sift the result of blending through a very fine seive (maybe stocking material??) and put the part that doesn't pass through back in the blender.

I admire these efforts; I'm extremely lazy and only use commercially produced snuff. So...

Today, I have mostly been snuffing... Professionally ground Hedges.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

See posts 898-902 for an excessively detailed display of the conversion of some perfectly good Ennerdale Flake into our patented Barrister's Cut. The only other tobacco I've played with is some 1792 Flake (had to), which was not nearly as good in snuff form - tasted a little dirty.

I do have a little Tambo laying around...
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

Oh, and enjoying a little Ebony & Ivory this morning.

And speaking of the finer smelling things in life, meet Ms. Urvashi Dholakia!

Look what showed up today.

Name:  oJF1hba.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  37.4 KB

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

SG Buck's Fizz today.

I'm having some klostermischung followed by dry orange. The scents mix quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by ProbateGeek View Post
    Still haven't opened my vacuum-sealed very generous allotment of the 6 Photo Cheetah. Want to now, but will wait till I 'm through with the Dholakia White. Probably one more day's worth...
    Yah - that sample. As you might expect, vacuum packing makes it look much smaller than it really is.

The 6 Photo Cheeta is a lot like the Dholakia White. The fish sauce has been replaced with what strikes me as a bit of Pine Sol, but it is a pretty nice snuff. Makes me want to explore more of the Indian photos.

A pinch of crumbs of comfort before a shower before bed. It's growing on me.

AS Tube Rose.

6 Photo Cheetah

I'm with Terry on this one. DW and Cheetah have been well worth the journey for me - curious about some others.

So far today I've had: F&T Seville, F&T High Dry Toast, and SG Buck's Fizz.

What will be next? Hell if I know.