Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 42 of 185 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 92 142 ... LastLast

Snuff - What's in your nose?

This is a discussion on Snuff - What's in your nose? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Hey, WOS is selling at Lil Brown now. Just noticed that. That's a way to save on long distance S&H ...

Awaiting Confirmation karatekyle's Avatar

Re: Snuff - What's in your nose?

Hey, WOS is selling at Lil Brown now. Just noticed that. That's a way to save on long distance S&H for any new guys looking to dip their toes in the world of dry snuff.

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Thanks for the head up, Kyle. I notice that they don't offer Tom Buck, though.

Not that I need more of THAT, mind you.
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

do any of you actually derive pleasure from Snuff? Apart from the Nic hit? I mean... i love just sitting with a pipe... even if there was no nic i think i'd smoke it... but the one time I tried snuff way back in college I was anything but impressed by the experience...

Quote Originally Posted by rogermugs View Post
    do any of you actually derive pleasure from Snuff? Apart from the Nic hit? I mean... i love just sitting with a pipe... even if there was no nic i think i'd smoke it... but the one time I tried snuff way back in college I was anything but impressed by the experience...
    Of course. You've gotta get ahold of the good snuffs though. And it's just like pipe, there's a technique. The flavor of a good snuff is quite nice.

I'm with Kyle. If there were no pleasure, who would do it?
    Try a little English Rose. Yummy!

This ain't cigarettes...

1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish ten08's Avatar

Well, now you pipers have me interested in snuff. Just what I needed, another angle on the same hobby.

Not quite ready to dive in headfirst, I picked up an OTC to see if I like it. My grocery store only had 2 options in the tobacco dept: Navy Sweet and Railroad Mills Sweet. Based on precisely nada, I chose RRMills, and have been enjoying it so far. Flavor is tobacco, period. I've been having a pinch here and there at work, in very small quantities, as this is pretty powerful nic-wise. I'm starting to get the hang of it, after my first attempts had me in teary-eyed coughing fits. I figure if I can learn decent technique with snuff ground this finely, I'll be able to handle anything.

Good morning, you brown-nosers!

Guess I don't have to say, but a Mr. Tom Buck has pretty much set up camp in both my nostrils. He may be there a while...

Quote Originally Posted by ten08 View Post
    Well, now you pipers have me interested in snuff. Just what I needed, another angle on the same hobby.

Not quite ready to dive in headfirst, I picked up an OTC to see if I like it. My grocery store only had 2 options in the tobacco dept: Navy Sweet and Railroad Mills Sweet. Based on precisely nada, I chose RRMills, and have been enjoying it so far. Flavor is tobacco, period. I've been having a pinch here and there at work, in very small quantities, as this is pretty powerful nic-wise. I'm starting to get the hang of it, after my first attempts had me in teary-eyed coughing fits. I figure if I can learn decent technique with snuff ground this finely, I'll be able to handle anything.
    Those two are pretty finely ground and can be a challenge to take, even for seasoned snuffers. Some of the English snuffs (Wilson of Sharrow or McChrystals) are not as fine and have a better flavor/scent. If you end up liking it, I'd try a few of those next.

Regarding the earlier question, the nicotine in snuff is a benefit for sure, but I take it because I enjoy the scents.

Terry sent me a lifetime supply of Tom Buck from his pocket size jar, and I must say it seems to pack a bit more punch than the sample I got from Dan and Kyle. Not a lot different, but definitely more of an edge with the newer stuff from Terry. So it does go stale a little maybe? Wouldn't surprise me. Gotta find a small jar to keep this stuff fresh! Got a couple more snorts left in the original vial, then it will be on to Terry's new stuff! Been doing a little more snuff lately, actually. Makes for a good nighttime snack. Just thought I'd move the picture of Sam Gawith's snuff aromas room here:

Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Jim, the newer stuff seems to be a little more vibrant. Whatever I sent may have gotten a bit stale in the mail. Enjoy it, we'll convert you yet

Quote Originally Posted by karatekyle View Post
    Jim, the newer stuff seems to be a little more vibrant. Whatever I sent may have gotten a bit stale in the mail. Enjoy it, we'll convert you yet
    Hey, it went through most of the winter here, too, much more damaging than a few days in the mail. Somewhere in here somebody said it doesn't get stale, but I wondered about it at the time. The scents HAVE to evaporate, just have to. (BTW, the English Rose disappeared very fast. )

Still thanking you for this cool sidestream activity!

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Hey, it went through most of the winter here, too, much more damaging than a few days in the mail. Somewhere in here somebody said it doesn't get stale, but I wondered about it at the time. The scents HAVE to evaporate, just have to. (BTW, the English Rose disappeared very fast. )Still thanking you for this cool sidestream activity!
    I wouldn't say they completely lose flavor. But they definitely get stale if you don't seal them up well. I had a little smash box of McC's Clove that went from pure, in-your-face clove to tobacco-y with a clove topping. I refilled it from my big sealed tin and it was night and day. I put blends I have more of in little bailtops from Hobby Lobby. That keeps them perfect!

Nick (Nachman) taught me to keep my snuffs in the freezer to help maintain their freshness. It seems to work great.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish mmiller's Avatar

Today I got out my tap box of lowenprise just feels like a snuff day to me and I can't wait for the first I move out of my parents place and can start up with a daily pipe or cigar again!
    Pipes, Cigars and Snuff

Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post
    Nick (Nachman) taught me to keep my snuffs in the freezer to help maintain their freshness. It seems to work great.
    Of course!

Page 42 of 185 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 92 142 ... LastLast