Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 50 of 185 FirstFirst ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 100 150 ... LastLast

Snuff - What's in your nose?

This is a discussion on Snuff - What's in your nose? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by ProbateGeek Ones that sneeze, cough, and have runny noses...

Awaiting Confirmation karatekyle's Avatar

Re: Snuff - What's in your nose?

Quote Originally Posted by ProbateGeek View Post
    < and someone must make us a snuff smiley or two! >
    Ones that sneeze, cough, and have runny noses

Today, I have been mostly snuffing... Sharrow Cherry Menthol.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

No longer a community member.

PM me your mailing address and I'll introduce you to a fine SP.
    I got the package yesterday!

I gave to buck a try already. Was this stuff supposed to give me a nic. buzz?

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Josh - dunno. Let me give it a try, hold on.

The first big snuff of the day gets my eyes watering in a most pleasant way. After about 7 seconds I feel the nicotine, though I don't think "buzz" is the word I'd use. Sort of a low nicotine "humm". Very nice, very tasty.

Try the Morocco - might be a tad bit more N in there. If you want some really strong stuff, ask Nachman, who knows all.
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by huskers View Post
    I got the package yesterday!

I gave to buck a try already. Was this stuff supposed to give me a nic. buzz?
    If you are looking for a good dose of Vitamin N, try Friboug & Treyeer Santo Domingo. Strong flavour from the Havana Leaf base (I think), very dark, almost black with hints of carbolic in the aroma. Much better than it sounds, perhaps. Another one which is quite new to me is Sam Gawith Chocolate Snuff. I'm enjoying it immensely but it does have more of a kick to it than I sometimes want. Nicotine strength is often quite subjective, however. The dark chocolate aroma can be maddening. Really chocolatey and quite delicious.

Today, I have been mostly snuffing... SG Chocolate Snuff.

If you want nicotine, try Navy Plain or Railroad Mills Plain. They say Toque Quit has a bit too, but I haven't tried it.
    Those that know don't tell, and those that tell don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Nachman View Post
    If you want nicotine, try Navy Plain or Railroad Mills Plain. They say Toque Quit has a bit too, but I haven't tried it.
    I take it from the name that this one is intended to help folk quit smoking - hence quite high nicotine, It's getting to be a popular aid for this. I certainly notice that I tend to smoke much less when I really hit the snuff.

Hey Guys,
    I'm looking to try some different flavored snuffs. What would be some good ones to start with?

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinas View Post
    Hey Guys,
    I'm looking to try some different flavored snuffs. What would be some good ones to start with?
    It's a very personal thing, obviously. You simply need to try lots of different ones and see how you get on. Luckily, snuff is pretty cheap so this isn't that much of a problem.

However, here are a some examplar types you may want to try...

Something menthol:
    Hedges - THE menthol snuff IMHO. Some prefer McCrystals Original and Genuine (O&G), but they are simply wrong.
    Wilsons of Sharrow Honey Menthol or Cherry Menthol - simply lovely and a nice alternative to Hedges.
    Wilsons of Sharrow Crumbs of Comfort - Spearmint - a traditional favourite. Or the "Extra" variant for even more of a blast.

Something Floral:
    Wilsons of Sharrow Rose or Carnation for a "pure" floral.
    Fribourg and Treyer Patchouli - this is more vegetal than floral.
    Fribourg and Treyer Bordeaux or Princes for a more complex floral. F&T Macouba is floral madness.

Something Spicy:
    F&T French Carotte - sandalwood by the bucket load. Fantastic.
    GH Almond - not really spicy but not floral either. Powdered marzipan. A firm favorite of mine.

Something to knock your socks off:
    F&T Santo Domingo - STRONG, dark (almost black) and rich.
    F&T High Dry Toast - Very fine, dry snuff; takes getting used to. Smokey aroma. Powerful Vitamin N content, as for above.

Something Traditional:
    Wilsons of Sharrow Tom Buck - One of the best SP (Spanish Prize) snuffs about. Strongly flavoured so it is a good one to try to see if you like the SP style. You can always back off later.
    F&T Seville - A slightly different style often spoken of as an SP. Neroli oil scented - Bitter oranges.
    F&T Old Paris - hard to describe, but very nice indeed. Can't remember the base of the scent, but always gives me a Rum type tone.

Something Outrageous:
    Samuel Gawith Chocolate Snuff - Fantastic dark chocolate aroma - quite maddening. It is BIG on nicotine.

If I were to limit it to one of each of these types, I would go for:

Hedges
    Wilsons of Sharrow Rose
    Fribourg and Treyer French Carotte
    Fribourg and Treyer Santo Domingo
    Wilsons of Sharrow Tom Buck
    Samuel Gawith Chocolate Snuff

Those will give you a good cross section and give you the opportunity to tune things as you go along. If you ant wany more information (hard to imagine - I do tend to blather on...) don't hesitate to ask.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by steinr1; 11-09-2012 at 07:29 AM.

Thank you steinr1 for the detailed response! Some of those sound really good. I have tried a few menthol snuffs and that is about it. I enjoy those, however I want to try some fruit flavors and floral now. Where are the best places to order from?
    Last edited by Aquinas; 11-09-2012 at 09:53 AM.

Thank you steinr1 for the detailed response! Some of those sound really good. I have tried a few menthol snuffs and that is about it. I enjoy those, however I want to try some fruit flavors and floral now. Where are the best places to order from?
    Tom - I'm afraid I'm about 5000 miles too far away to give a good answer to this one. I buy my snuff on-line from URL redeacted by reason of naughtiness I think I saw somewhere on this thread that folk in the US order from Europe. I don't think it's the one I use that was mentioned. I've found this supplier to be very reliable and quick to post - but I don't know if they will post abroad.
    Last edited by steinr1; 11-09-2012 at 11:45 AM.

Try Mr. Snuff, here: http://www.mrsnuff.com
    This is the one suggested by others, Tom. I don't think they have quite the range of the one I suggested - but need to redact that as they sell "naughty" cigars.

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    This is the one suggested by others, Tom. I don't think they have quite the range of the one I suggested - but need to redact that as they sell "naughty" cigars.
    You want to hear something really funny? Three days ago here in Washington state the idiots, er, I mean "voters", passed a measure legalizing the recreational use of marijuana. So, while we will soon be able to legally spark up a joint, we are still unable to smoke a common cigar from that little island south of Miami.

Yes, someday I may have to move back to my native Texas, where believe it or not it seems common sense and human decency are still relatively intact. Despite the climate.

Good thing it's Friday, and Mr. Tom Buck is in the queue.
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

Also, look into the German schmalzlers for something different, I like a lot of the Bernard offerings.
    The cake is a lie!

Page 50 of 185 FirstFirst ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 100 150 ... LastLast