Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 6 of 185 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 56 106 ... LastLast

Snuff - What's in your nose?

This is a discussion on Snuff - What's in your nose? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; F&T Morocco... Do you know what F&T stands for... Frickin Terrific!! I'm glad that the smallest F&T size you can ...

Re: Snuff - What's in your nose?

F&T Morocco...

Do you know what F&T stands for... Frickin Terrific!! I'm glad that the smallest F&T size you can buy is still pretty big, because I can see myself turning to this one quite often. Lovely spices and floral scents intertwined with a great tobacco base.

I also got the Morilax and High Dry Toast in my last order, and they are very good too! All three are very different from one another. Morilax is very floral and HDT is, well, toasty!

Quote Originally Posted by karatekyle View Post
    I used to really love this snuff but now I just really like it. As its been sitting around, its lost the clove and nutmeg flavors. Its pretty much just cinnamon with a hint of pumpkin pie spice now. Wish that pumpkin pie spice didn't die off!
    Yep, mine softened up quite a bit too. It's still very nice, just not as powerful as when fresh. Next time I'll buy multiple 10g tins (rather than the 25g) and keep them sealed to retain the flavor until I need them. Although, I went through the 25g tin pretty fast. I probably only have 5g left.

Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post
    Yep, mine softened up quite a bit too. It's still very nice, just not as powerful as when fresh. Next time I'll buy multiple 10g tins (rather than the 25g) and keep them sealed to retain the flavor until I need them. Although, I went through the 25g tin pretty fast. I probably only have 5g left.
    Buy what you want for the year on the Christmas Pudding because it is only made once a year. When they run out that is all there will be until next fall. Put some tins in a freezer bag and freeze it until you need it.
    Those that know don't tell, and those that tell don't know.

Geez Nick. I just placed an order, but now I guess another one is due...

In actuality, I think I'll just tough it out. There are so many good snuffs that I haven't tried yet that I can keep myself busy until next fall. I rotate between the 30 or so different tins that I have open at the moment. Should I be keeping my open tins in the freezer too?

For those of you that don't know this (and how would you?) Nick helped push me off the slope, and I thank him for it. He gave me some great guidance that has made snuffing a lot of fun! Thanks Nick!

On another note, I found some small plastic containers (4.5 grams) at Michaels art supply store today. They were only $3 for 16 containers and are designed to hold paint, but they work great for snuff samples. I've got a little snuff bomb going out Monday to a newbie snuffer here (that's you jfserama)!

I tried the Silver Dollar for the first time today, local pipe shop had it, not bad.
    The cake is a lie!

I don't keep open tins in the freezer or American Scotch snuff. The opens I will use before they get stale, usually. The American Scotch lasts forever. Schmalzlers and some other moist snuffs I put in 4oz mason Jars.
    Those that know don't tell, and those that tell don't know.

I'm a bit stuffy today so I'm snuffing Hedges L260. Seriously does the trick! I'm breathing just fine with my mouth closed now ;>

Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post
    On another note, I found some small plastic containers (4.5 grams) at Michaels art supply store today. They were only $3 for 16 containers and are designed to hold paint, but they work great for snuff samples. I've got a little snuff bomb going out Monday to a newbie snuffer here (that's you jfserama)!
    Oh great… What did I get myself into here?! But really, thank you for the generosity, Dan. It is much appreciated.
    "But when I don't smoke I scarcely feel as if I'm living. I don't feel as if I'm living unless I'm killing myself." —Russell Hoban

Im not crazy but, I can not wait for the Tambo to arrive. I recieved just a sample of it almost a year ago in the newbie trade. It got me thinking...about the stout tobacs.
    Then I bought myself some Birdseye , brown bogie , dark flake (u) , etc. Just was enjoying those rich flavors for nearly my first year of pipe_ing.
    This is a snuff thread so ... I recalled my pestle and mortor from its retirement , and yes I will take a moment and grind myself some Tambo. It'll just be a staright Tambo no other base tobac or flavors.
    I have had minor success with making my own snuff from pipe tobacco and the Thouc Lao I purchased. Also using flavors like coffee , anise , chocolate , Etc. from the cupboard.
    So I do think this might be similary as successful. I hope I'm not premature with this soon to be great snuff. I will let you all know about the next great snuff or about my
    horrible horrible failure. Wish me luck !

Quote Originally Posted by kneepa View Post
    Im not crazy but, I can not wait for the Tambo to arrive. I recieved just a sample of it almost a year ago in the newbie trade. It got me thinking...about the stout tobacs.
    Then I bought myself some Birdseye , brown bogie , dark flake (u) , etc. Just was enjoying those rich flavors for nearly my first year of pipe_ing.
    This is a snuff thread so ... I recalled my pestle and mortor from its retirement , and yes I will take a moment and grind myself some Tambo. It'll just be a staright Tambo no other base tobac or flavors.
    I have had minor success with making my own snuff from pipe tobacco and the Thouc Lao I purchased. Also using flavors like coffee , anise , chocolate , Etc. from the cupboard.
    So I do think this might be similary as successful. I hope I'm not premature ith this soon to be great snuff. I will let you all know about the next great snuff or about my
    horrible horrible failure. Wish me luck !
    That's an awesome idea! Let us know how it turns out.

I have never done snuff, but I've found this thread interesting. (I also would not do snuff. I don't think I'd handle the dust very well sniffing it and tobacco in my mouth is just not going to happen, except by accident.) Checking out this homemade concept, I ran across something y'all might find interesting. From wikipedia: A floral-scented snuff called "English Rose" is provided for members of the British House of Commons at public expense due to smoking in the House being banned since 1693. Probably old news for all you snuffers, but new news to me.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Awaiting Confirmation karatekyle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    I have never done snuff, but I've found this thread interesting. (I also would not do snuff. I don't think I'd handle the dust very well sniffing it and tobacco in my mouth is just not going to happen, except by accident.) Checking out this homemade concept, I ran across something y'all might find interesting. From wikipedia: A floral-scented snuff called "English Rose" is provided for members of the British House of Commons at public expense due to smoking in the House being banned since 1693. Probably old news for all you snuffers, but new news to me.
    Same. I would NEVER put it in my mouth. Chewing tobacco horrifies and disgusts me and a lip-full of snuff just seems classless. I use it nasally very infrequently and strictly among gentleman. I think nasal snuff is a much more reputable accompaniment to a pipe than cigarettes (they have such negative and classless connotation these days). Its tough to call yourself an aficionado of cigarettes when they're so mass produced. Its like being a lover of fine fast food. Snuff is still an artisan and historical process.

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    I also would not do snuff. I don't think I'd handle the dust very well sniffing it and tobacco in my mouth is just not going to happen, except by accident.
    And, since it's you, Jim (and I presume you'll appreciate a fellow pedantic): I must advise you that one does not do snuff; one takes snuff.

Quote Originally Posted by karatekyle View Post

And, since it's you, Jim (and I presume you'll appreciate a fellow pedantic): I must advise you that one does not do snuff; one takes snuff.
    But of course, I stand corrected! (I should have known that, huh? I'd have gotten it right on a multiple choice though. )
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

"You know in the Senate we still keep the old snuffbox right up there where it's been for more than 80 years, with a fresh supply of snuff, though nobody ever dips into it. And there's a little silver box on each desk.

This is from an article from 1944. They speak of the U.S. Senate. I have also heard through the grape vine that the snuff boxes are still there.

If you feel like it , you can go to www. Senate.Gov then use the search option for snuffbox. They show some of the boxes that are there.
    The silver one form 1881 is quit nice.
    Last edited by kneepa; 12-11-2011 at 11:28 PM.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Garin's Avatar

I've been enjoying a good deal of G&H Kendal Brown lately! I'm also very happy that I've ordered more O&G, as I can now dig into that one as often as I want without worrying about running out.

Quote Originally Posted by kneepa View Post
    I recalled my pestle and mortor from its retirement , and yes I will take a moment and grind myself some Tambo. It'll just be a staright Tambo no other base tobac or flavors. ... So I do think this might be similary as successful.
    You will not be disappointed. I have done this myself very recently, and it was quite good. I've also seen a few guys mentioning good results by simply saving the "sawdust" they get from chopping off a slice of the tambo. For mine, I took a slice of tambo, rubbed it out into a big pile of separated pieces, and put it under a desk lamp to dry out. Then I ground it up and sieved it through a two layers of cheesecloth.

The snuff is head-spinningly strong, however. One wee little pinch packs quite a punch -- roughly equivalent to two or three times as much of my other regular snuffs.

On its own, I find it has many of the tea-like elements that I find in smoking it too. That is, it reminds me a bit of drinking a very strong assam tea. Because of that, I now have a small container of it sitting with orange and lemon peels. Citrus oils and tea seem to be a good match. I'd go for bergamot but a) I don't have any, and b) I already have lots of bergamot-scented snuff.

Page 6 of 185 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 56 106 ... LastLast