Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 60 of 185 FirstFirst ... 10 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 110 160 ... LastLast

Snuff - What's in your nose?

This is a discussion on Snuff - What's in your nose? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; B Originally Posted by szyzk Brian, to the best of my ability, I've found that the only true distribution here ...

Re: Snuff - What's in your nose?

B
    Quote Originally Posted by szyzk View Post
    Brian, to the best of my ability, I've found that the only true distribution here in the US is through the one place that's importing Gawith & Hoggarth pipe tobacco. They distribute G&H and McChrystals snuff as well as Wilsons of Sharrow, if I remember correctly. And maybe Oliver Twist.

Also to the best of my ability, I can't find a single online retailer who's selling it here in the US. You'll probably have to order from overseas unless you want some samples.
    Unlike pipe tobacco and cigars, you cannot buy nasal snuff through the mail. That's why all you can find is overseas. The retailers like 4noggins used to make a good business out of it, but our government changed that for them.

The best place to buy is mrsnuff.com!

Brian, just hold off, your... Um..."bomblet" of sugar barrel has a friend coming with it...

Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post
    B

Unlike pipe tobacco and cigars, you cannot buy nasal snuff through the mail. That's why all you can find is overseas. The retailers like 4noggins used to make a good business out of it, but our government changed that for them.
    Question answered! That, and the minimum order (10/15/20 tins per "flavor") is enough to keep distribution low here in the states, and stores that carry it even lower!

All this hard work made me crave something different, so I broke out a tin of Toque Coke!
    Never trust anyone over 30.

Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post
    B

The best place to buy is mrsnuff.com!

Brian, just hold off, your... Um..."bomblet" of sugar barrel has a friend coming with it...
    You and Andrew are such enablers....
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

Question answered! That, and the minimum order (10/15/20 tins per "flavor") is enough to keep distribution low here in the states, and stores that carry it even lower!

All this hard work made me crave something different, so I broke out a tin of Toque Coke!
    I'm sure that Wilson's of Sharrow distribute mixed flavour lots for retail, albeit perhaps only of the wee tins (which are clearly too small for any serious use). Might only be in the UK as well...

On what particular piece of madness did the US government base the ban on postage of snuff? Particularly as this does not seem to extend to foreign imports. I guess that as a finely powdered combustible material it does in theory have a risk of explosion. Never heard of this being an issue in practice. All my orders have arrived without incident. I do look forward to an extension of the health warnings to include this.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Quote Originally Posted by FiveStar View Post
    Got an order in today! Old Paris and Santo Domingo.

Old Paris, welll.... I'm on the fence. Seems the same base tobacco as the Morroco that Terry sent, but with a funny sweet twist. Must snuff again..

Santo Domingo is THA SHIIIIIT! Dark Fired Indian leaf base that reminded me of the "Dark Flake" Snuff I mixed up myself, but sweeter, smoother. Kinda like lighting a cigar in a big leather chair with a glass of rum. Awesome! A bit coarse and moist is my only knock.
    Santo Domingo is indeed great stuff. I love the slight carbolic whiff it has. A really complex set of aromas. Perhaps best not the look to carefully at at some of the constituent tobaccos used in this for you domestically, I think...

I always think that the "funny sweet twist" you mention is reminiscent of rum. Someone mentioned it to me a long while ago and, bang, there it was forevermore.

@Brian - Desertlifter

On your request for recommendations for noob snuffs, I posted a long and dull treatise a while ago on this thread with my personal view. I was pleased to see how much activity there was since then on this tread and how far back I had to search. Snuff use is obviously coming back, at least with this forum's members. Huzzah!

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    It's a very personal thing, obviously. You simply need to try lots of different ones and see how you get on. Luckily, snuff is pretty cheap so this isn't that much of a problem.

However, here are a some examplar types you may want to try...

Something menthol:
    Hedges - THE menthol snuff IMHO. Some prefer McCrystals Original and Genuine (O&G), but they are simply wrong.
    Wilsons of Sharrow Honey Menthol or Cherry Menthol - simply lovely and a nice alternative to Hedges.
    Wilsons of Sharrow Crumbs of Comfort - Spearmint - a traditional favourite. Or the "Extra" variant for even more of a blast.

Something Floral:
    Wilsons of Sharrow Rose or Carnation for a "pure" floral.
    Fribourg and Treyer Patchouli - this is more vegetal than floral.
    Fribourg and Treyer Bordeaux or Princes for a more complex floral. F&T Macouba is floral madness.

Something Spicy:
    F&T French Carotte - sandalwood by the bucket load. Fantastic.
    GH Almond - not really spicy but not floral either. Powdered marzipan. A firm favorite of mine.

Something to knock your socks off:
    F&T Santo Domingo - STRONG, dark (almost black) and rich.
    F&T High Dry Toast - Very fine, dry snuff; takes getting used to. Smokey aroma. Powerful Vitamin N content, as for above.

Something Traditional:
    Wilsons of Sharrow Tom Buck - One of the best SP (Spanish Prize) snuffs about. Strongly flavoured so it is a good one to try to see if you like the SP style. You can always back off later.
    F&T Seville - A slightly different style often spoken of as an SP. Neroli oil scented - Bitter oranges.
    F&T Old Paris - hard to describe, but very nice indeed. Can't remember the base of the scent, but always gives me a Rum type tone.

Something Outrageous:
    Samuel Gawith Chocolate Snuff - Fantastic dark chocolate aroma - quite maddening. It is BIG on nicotine.

If I were to limit it to one of each of these types, I would go for:

Hedges
    Wilsons of Sharrow Rose
    Fribourg and Treyer French Carotte
    Fribourg and Treyer Santo Domingo
    Wilsons of Sharrow Tom Buck
    Samuel Gawith Chocolate Snuff

Those will give you a good cross section and give you the opportunity to tune things as you go along. If you ant wany more information (hard to imagine - I do tend to blather on...) don't hesitate to ask.

Enjoy!

I'm sure that Wilson's of Sharrow distribute mixed flavour lots for retail
    From what I was able to see - and this may not have been a full product listing - the importer was only wholesaling flavor-specific "bricks"... So if you wanted Crumbs of Comfort, you were getting 15 tins of it or you were getting nothing.

As for the ban: after a bit of research I'm seeing that when the Food & Drug Administration got their hands around tobacco, they wanted snuff manufacturers to list ingredients so that poor old consumers like myself could understand what we are putting into our bodies. The manufacturers obviously wanted to keep the ingredients secret, there was an impasse, and the FDA banned all mailorder sales. Easy peasy, and I am much safer for it...

Edited to add: I just took a double-dose of Morlaix!

Crank it up another notch with Sturco.

I think Hedges has a slight edge oin O&G as regards the menthol hit but O&G is more "tobacco-y". Ye pays your money...
    Wow, my feeble noobie palette cannot comprehend something with less tobacco flavor & more menthol flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertlifter View Post
    You and Andrew are such enablers....
    They are terrible aren't they? Watch out for Terry too, I think he may be the leader of the Enablers Gang.

I'm sure that Wilson's of Sharrow distribute mixed flavour lots for retail, albeit perhaps only of the wee tins (which are clearly too small for any serious use). Might only be in the UK as well...

On what particular piece of madness did the US government base the ban on postage of snuff? Particularly as this does not seem to extend to foreign imports. I guess that as a finely powdered combustible material it does in theory have a risk of explosion. Never heard of this being an issue in practice. All my orders have arrived without incident. I do look forward to an extension of the health warnings to include this.
    I do not understand how our government can justify making a LEGAL substance ILLEGAL to sell, it's baffling to me.
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

From what I was able to see - and this may not have been a full product listing - the importer was only wholesaling flavor-specific "bricks"... So if you wanted Crumbs of Comfort, you were getting 15 tins of it or you were getting nothing.

As for the ban: after a bit of research I'm seeing that when the Food & Drug Administration got their hands around tobacco, they wanted snuff manufacturers to list ingredients so that poor old consumers like myself could understand what we are putting into our bodies. The manufacturers obviously wanted to keep the ingredients secret, there was an impasse, and the FDA banned all mailorder sales. Easy peasy, and I am much safer for it...

Edited to add: I just took a double-dose of Morlaix!
    And lord only knows what they put in that!

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

F and T Seville for me today. I love this stuff.

And lord only knows what they put in that!
    I forgot how much I enjoyed it, so it's been with me all day. Very, very nice.

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by commonsenseman View Post
    They are terrible aren't they? Watch out for Terry too, I think he may be the leader of the Enablers Gang.
    No - just the only one zealous enough to buy a freakin' gallon of Tom Buck.

Quote Originally Posted by commonsenseman View Post
    I do not understand how our government can justify making a LEGAL substance ILLEGAL to sell, it's baffling to me.
    Hey, stop by the State of Washington next Thursday - where you can then legally smoke marijuana WHILE IT IS STILL ILLEGAL TO SMOKE A CUBAN CIGAR.

The modern world is a wicked, twisted place...
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

I need a walkthrough on how to do this... I fear that my appetite for this snuff will surpass your production capabilities!
    How's this?
    Dry the Ennerdale (horsey paper plate optional, but recommended by my daughter) until crispy:

Steal a mortar & pestle from the kitchen cabinet where you keep your spices:

Easy enough so far? You're ready:

I did not rub out the flakes on the plate first this time - that's the best way to start. But either way, start grinding:

Two minutes in:

Ten minutes in:

Part II to follow.
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

I've snuffed a little bit of "everything" today, in an attempt to get my nostrils acquainted with variety.

I've found that I need to take quite a bit of Dr Verey to hit the spot, while it only takes the slightest amount of O&G.

Terry: I like your horsey plate.
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

thought I understood all forms of baccy, but snuff confuses me. Anyone care to explain?
    Editing and deleting are two different things. You edit a whole by deleting a part; you cannot edit a part by deleting it. Webster can clear this up for you.

Page 60 of 185 FirstFirst ... 10 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 110 160 ... LastLast