Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 61 of 185 FirstFirst ... 11 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 111 161 ... LastLast

Snuff - What's in your nose?

This is a discussion on Snuff - What's in your nose? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Continuing... Time to start the first sift - using cheesecloth would certainly get you a finer snuff. But hey, I ...

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Re: Snuff - What's in your nose?

Continuing...

Time to start the first sift - using cheesecloth would certainly get you a finer snuff. But hey, I still don't have any:

This is where the room REALLY begins to smell nice:

After the first sift, return the remnants for a second, more vigorous grind:

In the meantime, tin up the first fruits of your labor:

To be continued...
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

Last of the three...

The second go-round is more vigorous, but I hate to waste anything snuffable:

This time it seems to help to push the powdered goodness through the sieve with a digit or two:

The second shift this time looks to have given up even more than the first:

See, my cup runneth over!

Anything left over from the second sift gets mixed with equal parts Five Brothers and thrown in the Sav.

Happy snuffing, gentlemen!
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by lostdog13 View Post
    thought I understood all forms of baccy, but snuff confuses me. Anyone care to explain?
    I'm still a noobie at it, but I'll post my thoughts, hopefully the veterans will chime in as well.

1) It's seems to be a completely different experience than other forms of tobacco.
    2) It can be used in places where smoking is not allowed.
    3) There are "flavors" of snuff than cannot be found in other forms of tobacco.
    4) The "burn" is awesome.
    5) Quick and easy nicotine, if you need/want some.
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

OK. I'm up...

In response to the question "So what's the deal here?" (I paraphrase), I've dug up one of my old posts on the thread (all of which pretty much echoes Jeff the commonsenseman's views) . The post mentioned in this one has also been re-posted today...

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    The pleasures in order (for me)...

The aromas - a huge range of smells and "tastes" (not quite, I feel, but very nearly so). They range from pure and toasted tobacco, through subtle (and not so subtle) citrus, floral, fruity and vegetal to in your face, tears in full flow, menthol and mints. And everything in between. Some of the more traditional blends are as complex and nuanced as the finest pipe tobaccos.

The "Burn" - bit a a masochistic pleasure in the sensations when you first sniff in - can lead a strong man to tears. This does swiftly pass.

Vitamin N sensation, which can be a bit overpowering with the stronger snuffs - just use less. You can get your N-Hit indoors in the UK where smoking in public buildings is banned. And down mines - no fire risk so once (and still, where we yet have a coal industry) very popular with miners.

You get to have other Acquisition Disorders - Snuffs and Snuff Boxes (SAD and SBAD ??)

All for about half the weight for weight cost (in the UK) of pipe tobacco. A large tin (25g) will last a regular but modest user weeks or months. Even a confirmed snuff-hound like me is unlikely to get through this in much less than a week.

There are downsides:

Primarily - What goes up must come down. The occasional small sniff is no big deal in this way. A heavier user is in danger of becoming Toffee Nosed or simply a Toff. (Not sure if this is a term in use in the US - a term for a snobbish wealthy man as they were the only ones able to afford enough of the stuff to get in this state.)

You need a steady supply of spotted handkerchiefs (camo for the expellatum).

You may occasionally sneeze. But not often.

It is just as nasty as it sounds. But let's be honest - we're pipe smokers - how much further can we fall?

I've been using snuff on and off - mostly on - for over 30 years and still gain a lot of pleasure from it.

Go on, go on, go on... Give it a go. I'm sure one of the more local members can point you at an on-line site or maybe bomb you with some. A few small tins will cost a few dollars only, I'm sure, and if you're buying tobacco anyway...

I've previously posted in this thread (or perhaps, once again blathered on) a list of good snuffs IMHO to show the range of what is available. Enjoy!

(btw - I'm sure that there are posts on this here or elsewhere - you should sniff the tobacco into your nose, not down into your sinuses or throat.)
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Terry, I watched the Science Channel tour of Sam Gawith last night. While I appreciate their 300 year old equipment, and it was a joy to see a building I fear I'll never actually step foot in, I feel comfortable in saying that I would respect them more if they had horsey plates laying around the factory floor.

Thanks for the great primer on snuff manufacturing! I'd bump you, but I can't, because I already recently did. Somebody else hit him, please.
    Never trust anyone over 30.

Here's some information about the PACT act that prevents online sales of cigarettes, roll your own and smokeless tobacco. This is why many RYO tobaccos are now labeled as "pipe" tobacco.

What is the PACT Act?
    On June 29, 2010, the Prevent All Cigarette Trafficking Act (PACT Act) went into effect. The law amends the Jenkins Act, 15 U.S.C. Chapter 10A, which governs the collection of taxes on, and trafficking in, cigarettes and smokeless tobacco. The PACT Act revised definitions in the Jenkins Act, provided new requirements for registration, reporting, and recordkeeping, and increased penalties for criminal violations The PACT Act also amends the Contraband Cigarette Trafficking Act, 18 U.S. C. Chapter 114, by providing ATF with additional inspection authority. The PACT Act generally bans the mailing of cigarettes: this provision is enforced by the U.S. Postal Service. The PACT Act also provides new delivery requirements and establishes a noncompliant delivery seller list, with prohibition on deliveries. The Act expand requirements for delivery (non-store/Internet/mail order) sales of cigarettes by requiring each delivery seller, with respect to delivery sales into a specific state and place, to (1) include on the bill of lading for the shipping package containing cigarettes or smokeless tobacco a clear and conspicuous statement that Federal law requires the payment of all applicable excise and sales taxes and compliance with applicable licensing and tax-stamping obligations; and (2) make records of all delivery sales accessible to the Attorney General. The Act requires ATF to compile a list of noncompliant delivery sellers of cigarettes and smokeless tobacco and to distribute the list to State attorneys general, State tax administrators, common carriers and other couriers, including the U.S. Postal Service.

What tobacco products are covered under the PACT Act?
    Cigarettes, roll-your-own tobacco, and smokeless tobacco are covered. Cigars are excluded.

If you want to see the whole FAQ document: http://www.atf.gov/alcohol-tobacco/pact-act-faqs.pdf

Thank you Jeff and Robert.
    Editing and deleting are two different things. You edit a whole by deleting a part; you cannot edit a part by deleting it. Webster can clear this up for you.

"It is just as nasty as it sounds. But let's be honest - we're pipe smokers - how much further can we fall?"

Great Thoughts of Western Man Award Nominee,
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by lostdog13 View Post
    Thank you Jeff and Robert.
    Glad we could help!

So, did it work?
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

Snuffing Three Thistles, and smoking ABF tonight.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Baron_Null's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by commonsenseman View Post
    Snuffing Three Thistles, and smoking ABF tonight.

RG bump for Futurama!

Been meaning to try that ABF that you very kindly gave me a sample of. Maybe tomorrow while I'm working on my big English paper.

But snuff... I really don't need another thing to occupy my money. But then again...

What's the general consensus of Silver Dollar snuff? My B&M has a few tins, and snuff might be just the thing to keep me going through finals week.

And watching Futurama, awesome!

My last sniff of the day is Poschl Perlereuter. Want coffee but it's too late, so this'll do.
    Never trust anyone over 30.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron_Null View Post
    What's the general consensus of Silver Dollar snuff? My B&M has a few tins, and snuff might be just the thing to keep me going through finals week.
    Don't do it. I picked up the Original and the Natural just because the local shop had them. Very disappointing. If you need some snuff to try, just say so. I'm sure we've got enough here to go around...

Ever heard of a guy by the name of Tom Buck?

Quote Originally Posted by commonsenseman View Post
    Glad we could help!

So, did it work?
    I detect a non-believer teetering on the brink of enlightenment. To provide the final nudge over the cliff, here is one of my snuffboxes. Victorian papier-mache with ivory and tortoise-shell inlay. You too can have parts of two endangered species for the price of one. Perhaps a touch morally reprehensible, but undeniably lovely.

Attachment 73545
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

I love tiny boxes.

I have a few match safes. Two antique silver snuff boxes and a double handful of antique Chinese snuff bottles. Most of the snuff bottles are rather naughty... wait... that's an incredible understatement. Most of my Chinese snuff bottles have full frontal nudity and graphic depictions of sex acts.

Page 61 of 185 FirstFirst ... 11 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 111 161 ... LastLast