Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 66 of 185 FirstFirst ... 16 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 116 166 ... LastLast

Snuff - What's in your nose?

This is a discussion on Snuff - What's in your nose? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by Baron_Null Speaking of entering the dark side, I was wondering about something that gets talked about very ...

Re: Snuff - What's in your nose?

Quote Originally Posted by Baron_Null View Post
    Speaking of entering the dark side, I was wondering about something that gets talked about very little here- addiction. Not a pleasant subject, but I thought I'd ask before jumping in headfirst.

So for the longtime snuffers here, how habit forming is it? I've found that with my pipes I can take a break for awhile, and not have nasty withdrawal effects. But is it the same with snuff?

Edited to add- I fully intend to try it, but my future with snuffing (should I like it) will depend pretty heavily on this question.
    Robert's response is accurate. It's just the same as any other form of tobacco, you can decided how much & how often.

As for me, I'm quite a creature of habit. I find myself using snuff, as well as smoking a pipe because It's what I enjoy doing in certain situations. Snuff has quickly become very enjoyable, especially something medicated in the morning.
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    Hedges was, in fact, originally formulated for just such purposes.....
    I already have a tin of Hedges in my shopping cart, just waiting for the right moment
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

Puffer Fish with some spikes

How good is snuff at covering up offensive odors? Say for instance, my girlfriend's parents house smells like cat shit and mold... If I used some snuff would that mask the horrible scent for a while? Or would it just add it's own odor to the cacophony?

Yeah, I quit cigarettes in toto twice, once for 1.5 years, once for 2 years. I actually put my physiological psych to work, by substituting other habits to replace reaching for a cigarette, like doing an asana, picking up something to read or playing the guitar. Wanting a cigarette merely became a stimulus to do something else. It only takes a week or two and the habit goes away. I don't buy into the "addiction" part of the deal anyhow, because only 15% of the population are addictive personalities. It's the "habituating" part of the cigarette equation that is so difficult to overcome. Brushing one's teeth is a similar "addiction". They even call gambling addictive now, with the Drug War having redefined the word "addictive" since I learned the distinctions in college and made the term meaningless. (Mine was basically a pre-med degree.)

Now, I don't worry about cigarettes at all. I do like to roll up a PA once in a while and I'm not above bumming one at the dartboard or at a party occasionally, but I stay away from them pretty much completely these days. My lungs really are in tatters, so it would be stupid to smoke cigarettes frequently or in large numbers. There was a time when I could go through a pack and a half in 18 holes of golf and start a new pack at the 19th hole, carrying my bag with a frequent "emergency nine" before settling into some serious beer time. Tatters, I tell you.

I am a total snuff ignoramus, having only what I've been bombed with, so I probably don't know what I'm talking about, but I'm somewhat surprised that English Rose doesn't come up much as a recommendation. It's actually the first one I tried, having found that it's the official snuff of the British Parliament. I mean, how bad can it be? Plus, it's GH&Co, always a tobacco plus in my book. I still think it might be the favorite of all I've tried, which are few: English Rose, Toque Marmalade and Toast, O&G, Morocco, Tom Buck, a purple one from Australia (I think) that smells like roadkill to me, and a few others I can't remember. And TERRY'S ENNERDALE GRIND, of course.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by TheRooster View Post
    How good is snuff at covering up offensive odors? Say for instance, my girlfriend's parents house smells like cat shit and mold... If I used some snuff would that mask the horrible scent for a while? Or would it just add it's own odor to the cacophony?
    It's pretty damn good at doing this. Just don't choose F&T Patchouli for the job. It smells of Hippy - which would invalidate the original intention.

Today, I have been mostly snuffing... Hedges (and can't smell anything else).
    Last edited by steinr1; 12-07-2012 at 12:31 PM.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

Hedges today.

Nada like Hedges to open up the nose when congested.

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

I've heard, and believe, that snuff is addictive. I just have not yet experienced any of the cravings I associate with nicotine addiction. Although I always carry a little tin of Tom Buck (you guessed it, right?) I frequently forget I have or want it. In fact, I've not had any yet today - until I read this thread and thought "Hey, wouldn't a little Tom Buck go well with this black coffee?"

So, if I can forget about it or simply opt not to use it for days at a time, how can I say it's that addictive?

EDIT: Oops - a little Tom Buck this morning.
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by ProbateGeek View Post

So, if I can forget about it or simply opt not to use it for days at a time, how can I say it's that addictive?

EDIT: Oops - a little Tom Buck this morning.
    After one took the courses that taught the voluntary and autonomic nervous systems, the parts of the brain, what parts of the brain do what, sensor chemicals (eyes, ears, tongue, pain, hearing, and so forth), you were ready to move into the courses that taught what chemicals did to those parts of the brain and the nervous system, autonomic and voluntary. Addictive means that it affects the autonomic nervous system in a way that makes the functioning of the system reliant on it over time. Cocaine is habit forming, alcohol is addictive. The difference is that psychological/conscious yearnings arise in one case, while in the other delirium tremens ensues, possibly life-threatening. Not having your cocaine is one thing, not having your alcohol when you're a drunk is another. Among the most insidious addictive drugs are barbiturates, where one can develop sufficient tolerance to gradually reach a dose that will stop your heart and you will not even feel any effects other than death.

Today, pulling the handle on a slot machine is considered addictive. I'm not sure there is even a word left in the language that conveys the medical (and even legal) distinction that it once did. It's a socially taboo thought at this point.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    After one took the courses that taught the voluntary and autonomic nervous systems, the parts of the brain, what parts of the brain do what, sensor chemicals (eyes, ears, tongue, pain, hearing, and so forth), you were ready to move into the courses that taught what chemicals did to those parts of the brain and the nervous system, autonomic and voluntary. Addictive means that it affects the autonomic nervous system in a way that makes the functioning of the system reliant on it over time. Cocaine is habit forming, alcohol is addictive. The difference is that psychological/conscious yearnings arise in one case, while in the other delirium tremens ensues, possibly life-threatening. Not having your cocaine is one thing, not having your alcohol when you're a drunk is another. Among the most insidious addictive drugs are barbiturates, where one can develop sufficient tolerance to gradually reach a dose that will stop your heart and you will not even feel any effects other than death.

Today, pulling the handle on a slot machine is considered addictive. I'm not sure there is even a word left in the language that conveys the medical (and even legal) distinction that it once did. It's a socially taboo thought at this point.
    It's part of the "It's not my fault!" society we live in. Except, sometimes IT IS.

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Considering the following for my next order, unless someone advises me against a particular item:

1 x Fribourg & Treyer Bordeaux 25g
    1 x Fribourg & Treyer Bureau 25g
    1 x Fribourg & Treyer French Carotte 25g
    1 x Fribourg & Treyer Macouba 25g
    1 x Fribourg & Treyer Morlaix 25g
    1 x Fribourg & Treyer Old Paris 25g
    1 x Fribourg & Treyer Princes Special 25g
    1 x Fribourg & Treyer Santo Domingo 25g
    1 x Fribourg & Treyer Seville 25g

Besides the obvious absence of any Tom Buck, notice a theme there?
    Should probably add some more English Rose, too.
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by ProbateGeek View Post
    Considering the following for my next order, unless someone advises me against a particular item:

1 x Fribourg & Treyer Bordeaux 25g
    1 x Fribourg & Treyer Bureau 25g
    1 x Fribourg & Treyer French Carotte 25g
    1 x Fribourg & Treyer Macouba 25g
    1 x Fribourg & Treyer Morlaix 25g
    1 x Fribourg & Treyer Old Paris 25g
    1 x Fribourg & Treyer Princes Special 25g
    1 x Fribourg & Treyer Santo Domingo 25g
    1 x Fribourg & Treyer Seville 25g

Besides the obvious absence of any Tom Buck, notice a theme there?
    Should probably add some more English Rose, too.
    Is the question: What are all the Fribourg and Treyer Snuffs that are available at the moment?

Good choices all. I can't wait for your review of the Macouba. One missing, however. Kendal Brown. SP - less scented but richer and more tobacco driven than Tom Buck. I sometimes prefer it.

And where is the Patchouli? Who can resist the full, ripe aroma of Hippy?

Puffer Fish with some spikes Baron_Null's Avatar

Thanks for the responses everyone! I'm feeling a lot better about this.

The main reason I was wondering was because of how potent of a nicotine delivery system snuff is. I know my pipes can deliver quite a bit of nicotine should I so choose the tobacco to do so, but I don't usually go that route. I know tobacco addiction is a large part mental, but I was mostly concerned over whether that would be different with the nicotine content in snuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron_Null View Post
    Thanks for the responses everyone! I'm feeling a lot better about this.

The main reason I was wondering was because of how potent of a nicotine delivery system snuff is. I know my pipes can deliver quite a bit of nicotine should I so choose the tobacco to do so, but I don't usually go that route. I know tobacco addiction is a large part mental, but I was mostly concerned over whether that would be different with the nicotine content in snuff.
    I believe there is a little known sequel to the classic 1936 "Reefer Madness". "Snuff Insanity - One sniff and you're hooked". Beware .

Puffer Fish with some spikes Baron_Null's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    I believe there is a little known sequel to the classic 1936 "Reefer Madness". "Snuff Insanity - One sniff and you're hooked". Beware .
    I dunno, it sounds pretty probable given the sanity quotient of the snuffers around here.

More Morlaix.

Today I had an epiphany. Cigars pair with some drinks.....pipes pair with some drinks....

So lunch rolls around, and I was hankerin for a snort or Morlaix. Suddenly I though to myself "self? know what is in the vending machine that sounds good with this snuff? Dr. Pepper!"

In went the change. Out came the can. In went the snuff. .....oh man. Yum.
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

Page 66 of 185 FirstFirst ... 16 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 116 166 ... LastLast