Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 67 of 185 FirstFirst ... 17 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 117 167 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 2763

Snuff - What's in your nose?

This is a discussion on Snuff - What's in your nose? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by Baron_Null Thanks for the responses everyone! I'm feeling a lot better about this. The main reason I ...

Re: Snuff - What's in your nose?

Quote Originally Posted by Baron_Null View Post
    Thanks for the responses everyone! I'm feeling a lot better about this.

The main reason I was wondering was because of how potent of a nicotine delivery system snuff is. I know my pipes can deliver quite a bit of nicotine should I so choose the tobacco to do so, but I don't usually go that route. I know tobacco addiction is a large part mental, but I was mostly concerned over whether that would be different with the nicotine content in snuff.
    I don't know how the nicotine uptake compares at all. Maybe I don't know what I'm doing, but I've taken a couple of shots of seeing just how much I could do before I started feeling a nicotine hit -- and never got there. A single bowl of Black xx can push me pretty hard, I can JUST smoke RY bowl after bowl, and definitely know that there's nicotine in Louisiana Flake, but I don't feel much of a nicotine hit at all from snuff -- yet. Purely an olfactory rush for me.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    I don't know how the nicotine uptake compares at all. Maybe I don't know what I'm doing, but I've taken a couple of shots of seeing just how much I could do before I started feeling a nicotine hit -- and never got there. A single bowl of Black xx can push me pretty hard, I can JUST smoke RY bowl after bowl, and definitely know that there's nicotine in Louisiana Flake, but I don't feel much of a nicotine hit at all from snuff -- yet. Purely an olfactory rush for me.
    What Jim said - keeping in mind that I am not by any means a nic hound, and am an occasional/recreational piper and cigar smoker. Haven't really noticed much of a nic hit from snuffing yet. Not that I don't think it can/will happen...
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

Puffer Fish with some spikes Baron_Null's Avatar

Huh. I always assumed that it was more potent, as I've heard about people feeling buzz after snuffing a tiny amount, but I have been known to be wrong before.

Pale Horse

Ugh, darn Gregg for talking about snuff in v-herf, now my curiosity is piqued. I think when I get settled in stateside I'm going to have to give it a try!

Looking around on Mr. Snuff, Wilsons Aniseed Eucalyptus caught my attention (among others that you guys have mentioned), has anyone tried it?

The nicotine content is different in different snuffs. And the effect it has is somewhat proportional to that, the "dose", the grind, your method of snuffing, etc. etc. So the clout that any particular snuff (or pipe or cigar) is fairly personal. I'm pretty sensitive to nicotine (in my own estimation) by which I mean I can feel it easily. I "know" about it.

I feel the strongest "something" with certain snuffs. I assume it's nicotine and that it may affect others similarly. The "Big" ones are: High Dry Toast, Santo Domingo and SG Chocolate. But probably others. Like F&T Patchouli, which I just remembered seems strong to me.

The "hit" is quite quick, but not as instant as smoking can be. It does "build up" once the dose has been taken (too much - just blow it out).

Now then...

I'm not sure that this is the intent, but perhaps some justification of snuff (and pipe and...) use is going on. It's quite likely that I've been doing this.

But let's say it out loud:

All tobacco based products contain nicotine and have the potential for "addiction" or "habituation". This is a risk. There are also direct detrimental health outcomes associated with use of tobacco products (less well known or defined for snuff). This is a risk. Snuff is one of this type of product. We use snuff (or pipes or cigars...) with our eyes open to these risks. We understand and accept them.

If you don't want to accept the risks - don't use the product. Simple.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Midlife crises Puffer mcgreggor57's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Horse View Post
    Ugh, darn Gregg for talking about snuff in v-herf, now my curiosity is piqued. I think when I get settled in stateside I'm going to have to give it a try!

Looking around on Mr. Snuff, Wilsons Aniseed Eucalyptus caught my attention (among others that you guys have mentioned), has anyone tried it?
    LOL, gotta love Vherf

Thanks to ProbateGeek, I'm enjoying some Tom Buck with my morning coffee. This stuff rocks as well Terry, thanks! What are others using to store their snuff besides the original tins or bullets?

Gregg
    Tobacco Cellar: http://www.tobaccocellar.com/mcgreggor57
    Never trust a woman's tears or a dog's limp.

Leading Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Probably the highest nicotine snuff I've come across is Dholakia White. The nic hit on that surpasses anything I've tried. The only problem with it is the grind is so fine that it's easy to overshoot and have it go straight to your brain. For me it's great for mixing (Much like Tambo) with weaker, milder snuffs. I love mixing it with the toque snuffs because, with the exception of Toque Quit, they all seem light on the nicotine to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Horse View Post

Yep, I blame Gregg and Terry for this completely. Everything else I blame on Sandy Claws and Jeff.
    Editing and deleting are two different things. You edit a whole by deleting a part; you cannot edit a part by deleting it. Webster can clear this up for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron_Null View Post
    Thanks for the responses everyone! I'm feeling a lot better about this.

The main reason I was wondering was because of how potent of a nicotine delivery system snuff is. I know my pipes can deliver quite a bit of nicotine should I so choose the tobacco to do so, but I don't usually go that route. I know tobacco addiction is a large part mental, but I was mostly concerned over whether that would be different with the nicotine content in snuff.
    Snuff is definitely addictive. I know because I am addicted, not that I mind. I use a 1.15 oz can of Navy plain every month and a bit of Abraxes Dragun plus a little bit of other snuffs. I could quit pipes and cigars, but I am not sure about snuff. I imagine it takes a lot of snuff to get addicted, but I have used a lot for many years.
    Those that know don't tell, and those that tell don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Nachman View Post
    Snuff is definitely addictive. I know because I am addicted...
    I can't seem to find it, so maybe it wasn't Theda Bara, but one of those old actresses once said about cocaine, "Cocaine isn't habit-forming and I know because I've been taking it for years." Maybe it was Clara Bow, but I don't get a hit (har har) on that either. Ah! Got it. Tallulah Bankhead! And another! "My father warned me about men and booze, but he never mentioned a word about women and cocaine."

A few "heavy hitting" snuffs have been mentioned, so I'm driven to ask how Tom Buck and Toque Marmalade and Toast stack up in the nicotine department. And, despite the fact that we've sort of been here before, when the question was posed, How much do you do at a time, I'll ask from a different angle: How much would you take with Dalakhia White versus Marmalade and Toast or Tom Buck. Maybe it's like pipe tobacco, where you could smoke a tub of PA without getting the nicotine equivalent of a single thick coin of Happy Bogie.
    Last edited by freestoke; 12-08-2012 at 12:12 PM.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Leading Puffer Fish

Jim, when I use Dholakia White straight I just put a bit on the tip of the spoon part of my czech tool as opposed to half a spoonful with most Toque snuffs. PM me you addy I'll send you a smash box with some D. White in it.

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Quote Originally Posted by ProbateGeek View Post

So, if you've still got enough left in that bucket I wouldn't be adverse to trying a little, maybe I could trade you some pipe baccy or a stick or two for a little snuff sample? I want to try snuff, but making a big enough order from Mr Snuff to make the shipping worth it without having tried it before seems rash.

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mcgreggor57 View Post
    LOL, gotta love Vherf

Thanks to ProbateGeek, I'm enjoying some Tom Buck with my morning coffee. This stuff rocks as well Terry, thanks! What are others using to store their snuff besides the original tins or bullets?

Gregg
    You're more than welcome, Gregg. It is good stuff, snuff - apart from Tom Buck and English Rose (my top two), I really want to explore more of the Fribourg & Treyer. I have only their Morocco, but they all seem to be very rich in "flavor" (and good to know some have a nice does of The N, too).

Once you order and enjoy a few small tins you'll have some surplus carrying capacity. I'm really thinking about a little metal snuff box, but they seem a bit on the pricey side, plus I don't know for sure if they close well enough to keep my pockets from filling with loose snuff.

For long term storage of the larger amounts, I close them up tight and put them in a cool, dark and dry place. Right now, that's an old 300-count dome humidor (with no humidification).

Still working on the "jug" of Tom Buck -

Getting there, thanks to the help of many of you.

Including now, you Bill. If your addy's in your profile, I'll send you a sample on Monday.
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Though this may be approaching the blaspheme, I do believe I enjoy Ennerdale Flake more now as a snuff than as a smoke.

Who'd a thunk? Probably just a phase...
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by Nachman View Post
    Snuff is definitely addictive. I know because I am addicted, not that I mind. I use a 1.15 oz can of Navy plain every month and a bit of Abraxes Dragun plus a little bit of other snuffs. I could quit pipes and cigars, but I am not sure about snuff. I imagine it takes a lot of snuff to get addicted, but I have used a lot for many years.
    While we are doing this I'll stand up and testify...

My name is Robert and I'm a nicotine addict.

But I don't mind that I am. Addiction is really only a problem if you want to stop and I don't. AND if there are physical symptoms associated with withdrawal. There are many cases of opiate addiction (and this isn't the same thing at all) where the addict leads a full and active life. Medicine is rife with such examples (or at least used to be when controls were slacker). It just needs a steady supply - and that's where things fall apart for physical addictions to illegal drugs. If you can't get your fix, you will start jonesing and getting physical problems. I can again testify that any physical effects of nicotine withdrawal are minor if present at all. I don't believe in nicotine withdrawal symptoms. Physical symptoms. Anything else is simple a matter of being weak willed. I'm sure that it would be difficult (although I gave up cold-turkey from 60+ cigarettes a day without problem - but I was young...) but I would not be in physical pain or danger. This ain't the same thing as opiate or barbiturate withdrawal at all.

I use about 25g or so of snuff a week and have done so for a VERY long time. Many years. I hold down a job, look after myself and my family. I do have a large collection of dirty handkerchiefs. But I'm unlikely to mug an old lady or break into your house to get cash to buy my junk so I can alleviate the horrible symptoms. Quote from US NIH:

Nicotine withdrawal occurs when you suddenly stop smoking or using tobacco after using it for a long time. It can also occur if you cut back on the number of cigarettes or amount of tobacco products you use. Nicotine withdrawal creates anxiety, irritability, headache, hunger, and a craving for cigarettes or other sources of nicotine. These symptoms peak 12 to 24 hours after quitting and then slowly go away.

All of these (perhaps not the headaches) can be qualified as psychological rather than physical. Nicotine only has a half-life of about 2 hours. The peak of the symptoms occurs about when you would find it hard to detect nicotine in blood (you won't have much left after a good night's sleep - I don't immediately reach for my pipe or snuff). If you haven't died from the physical symptoms by that stage, the rest is your own problem.

And why are we - some of us - so obsessed with this subject? (I know I've posted on this recently rather a lot - but the subject annoys me. Must not have taken enough snuff) Tobacco contains nicotine and nicotine is addictive. Whether smoked in a cigarette, pipe or cigar, snuffed or chewed. It's all as addictive in the end.

I personally think that I would have as much/little problem giving up snuff as a light user. It's the habit itself and the psychological dependence that is the question rather than the physical symptoms. I crave; I don't jones.
    Last edited by steinr1; 12-08-2012 at 06:44 PM.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Page 67 of 185 FirstFirst ... 17 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 117 167 ... LastLast