Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 10 of 388 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 60 110 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

The Afternoon Smoke Break

This is a discussion on The Afternoon Smoke Break within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Having a little of that Dark Flake Scented in the LePeltier. Last summer, Dark Flake UNSCENTED was recommended in some ...

Re: The Afternoon Smoke Break

Having a little of that Dark Flake Scented in the LePeltier.

Last summer, Dark Flake UNSCENTED was recommended in some long distant thread. When I got ready to place an order, the vendor was out of UNSCENTED but they had SCENTED (in bulk). So I ordered myself an ounce of scented. It arrived as broken flake, almost ready rubbed, and dry enough to smoke as-is. I liked it enough that I wanted to order more when I finished it. I was thinking 2 or MAYBE 3 ounces of bulk...well, it turned out that 4 ounces was cheaper than 3 because of their volume discount, so I ordered 4 ounces. I think I got the last few crumbs of the vendor's container on my first order, and the first of a fresh batch on my second order, because the second order was much moister and mostly intact flakes. And the topping on my second batch is MUCH more pungent than my first batch. I split it into 2 jars, and JUST finished the first jar (from late September, I think?).

And that's how I ended up with a buttload of Dark Flake Scented that I might never finish!

I kinda crave it on rare occasions, but after smoking a bowl, I'm done with it for a LONG time.

Quote Originally Posted by karatekyle View Post
    They're quite an interesting group! Have very unique customs on sexuality.

I may have it all wrong, but as I understood it when I visited in 1968, Iceland was similar, with the exception that very few women were married then. The women and children were taken care of completely, but the men were sort of left out to dry. One of the things that struck me was that the guys didn't pick up the girls! It was reversed! The women had the apartments and the men, if they couldn't afford otherwise, lived in "dormitories" for want of a better word. The women would take men home for days or weeks at a time then kick them out and replace them. One of the women with a kid that I met said that any man who saw a child misbehaving in public, however, was expected to come over and take care of the problem. Imagine that in your local Walmart these days! They'd drag the guy off in handcuffs, if he survived the beating from the other women in the store. It was interesting, to say the least! Children took/take the mother's name, pretty sure.

If this is TOTALLY out of line with reality, circa 1968 Reykjavik, I'm certainly ready to be disabused of what I heard and saw there, but I encountered nothing at the time that would contradict it. I wonder how things have changed in 44 years.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Awaiting Confirmation karatekyle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    I may have it all wrong, but as I understood it when I visited in 1968, Iceland was similar, with the exception that very few women were married then. The women and children were taken care of completely, but the men were sort of left out to dry. One of the things that struck me was that the guys didn't pick up the girls! It was reversed! The women had the apartments and the men, if they couldn't afford otherwise, lived in "dormitories" for want of a better word. The women would take men home for days or weeks at a time then kick them out and replace them. One of the women with a kid that I met said that any man who saw a child misbehaving in public, however, was expected to come over and take care of the problem. Imagine that in your local Walmart these days! They'd drag the guy off in handcuffs, if he survived the beating from the other women in the store. It was interesting, to say the least! Children took/take the mother's name, pretty sure.

If this is TOTALLY out of line with reality, circa 1968 Reykjavik, I'm certainly ready to be disabused of what I heard and saw there, but I encountered nothing at the time that would contradict it. I wonder how things have changed in 44 years.
    Interesting to think about how diverse customs are within our species!

Quote Originally Posted by gahdzila View Post
    As for OTCs....PA is my favorite so far.
    I'd hate to think you hadn't read my review, Andrew!
    So I guess I'll start my OTC journey with Prince Albert! That is, of course, unless Clifford's SWR and 5B gets here first (and again - you really don't need to send me anything!).

Come to think of it, I don't even know where to get OTCs around here. The big grocery store around the corner has them, but I have no idea what the turnover is - and that place is dry as a bone inside.
    Never trust anyone over 30.

Most of the online retailers have them. I order all of mine online. I'm afraid to buy them locally as well, as there's no telling how old they are.

Puffer Fish with many spikes WWhermit's Avatar

Today I had a big bowl of Anniversary Kake. This is the first pipe I've had in about a week. I've been battling a diagnosis of whooping cough, and today is the first day I've felt good enough to smoke a pipe. Damn, I've missed it!

WWhermit
    A person starts to live when he can live outside himself. -Albert Einstein
    My humble cellar.

Most of the online retailers have them. I order all of mine online. I'm afraid to buy them locally as well, as there's no telling how old they are.
    Maybe I'm being a bit romantic, but part of the experience for me would include literally buying them over the counter! Dorky, I know, but I'm a dork.

I've never actually looked at any of the local drugstores and while Walmart has a tobacco section, I think it's all cigarettes. I'll do some searching... Worst case, I'll order online.

LOL! No, in fact I think it's a noble gesture to try to support local businesses when possible.

I don't know if you guys have places like this up there, but we have a few "tobacco shops" that are mostly liquor stores that have a bigger than normal cigarette and chewing tobacco selection, along with machine made cigars and occasionally a small poorly maintained humidor of handrolled cigars. Places like that always have at least a small selection of OTC pipe tobaccos. I've also seen them at Walmart (behind the counter, nestled in a dustly little corner between the cigarettes, Black & Milds and chewing tobacco).

I don't know if you guys have places like this up there, but we have a few "tobacco shops" that are mostly liquor stores...
    Absolutely not! All our liquor stores are state run! We're still under 1800s-era Quaker laws here!

I do have two other options. One, I work at a tobacconist, though I'm not sure how much we'd actually have to order. If I want a box and we have to buy a 5-pack, for instance, I'd be out of luck unless I really liked the stuff. Second, we have a roll-your-own place that might carry OTCs but I would feel dirty buying tobacco at a local "competitor" (even though they aren't really competing with us)!

I'll stop by the grocery store tomorrow and see how much of this they actually sell. Alternately, there's a CVS across the street that I can check out. Worst case, another P&C order!

My local Walmart carries pouches of PA, but I bought one a while back and it was crispy and stale... Same thing happened with SWR at another place locally (can't remember which). I just bought some Middleton Apple pouches from P&C. Not sure what to expect with the baccy, but I expect it will be fresh. They had been out of it, and it was recently restocked.

I am having a bowl of Erinmore this afternoon in my McCarter pipe. Kinda cold and overcast, so I'm gonna make it a short smoke today...

HOTW for me.

Cold and dreary here too. I had a chill earlier. I went to the gym, ran almost 2 miles on the treadmill, came home and took a steaming hot shower and bundled up in my thermals. That'll warm ya up!

Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post
    My local Walmart carries pouches of PA, but I bought one a while back and it was crispy and stale...

So hydrate it! sheesh. Stale tobacco's what OTC is all about! (They used to sell aluminum coin-like things with holes in them at the drug store for a quarter. I wonder if they still even make those.)

Heading out for some Dart Mix, available only at my local dart board. Gonna work on the Serial Aromatics Pouch on the way, to try and clean out that Autumn Evening contamination. PPP almost gone, the SAP ordeal drawing to a close. Housecleaning is exhausting, but very rewarding.
    Last edited by freestoke; 02-10-2012 at 03:00 PM.

What a productive day!

A bowl of FVF, then a bowl of Hamborger Veermaster, then I sliced up my finger carving some hunks of tobacco off a Mick McQuaid Plug.

The Hambooger Beermaestro was interesting following the FVF - the two played off each other with the FVF leaving bright, nutty vanilla notes in my mouth, and the Hamburger Beanmister leaving a darker coffee, leather and black cherry taste.

Quote Originally Posted by szyzk View Post
    What a productive day!

Showing no fear from Mycroft's new thread. Brave Mensch.

Well, I'm pipeless at the moment. sigh.

Showing no fear from Mycroft's new thread. Brave Mensch.
    Ignorance Uber Alles? I had no idea you two were being so mischievous.

This will not end well for anyone involved.

Page 10 of 388 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 60 110 ... LastLast