Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 388 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 103 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

The Afternoon Smoke Break

This is a discussion on The Afternoon Smoke Break within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; A bit more SB on my way to Religion class....

Awaiting Confirmation karatekyle's Avatar

Re: The Afternoon Smoke Break

A bit more SB on my way to Religion class.

I took two 3 hour religion classes in college...mainly because it counted as a "humanities elective" towards my degree, and I could avoid taking any history or foreign languages . The professor was great and I really enjoyed them. They ended up being mostly history and what was going on in the world during biblical times and how it related to what was written in the bible.

Quote Originally Posted by gahdzila View Post
    A little straight 5 Brothers in a little Grabow Omega. I'm a little short on time. My piano teacher moved my lesson up 15 minutes...dammit, she's infringing on the afternoon smoke break!
    Wow, you play piano Clifford!? Cool. I played until I was in college, starting when I was eight. When I quit I was on a Chopin/Paderewski/Joplin bender.

The Country Gentleman's getting the honor of decommissioning this Royal Yacht. Time to launch another one. Only two cans left and I need pipe cleaners!
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Thinking it's going to be some Squadron Leader in my Savinelli today. I've got some errands to run and it should serve to keep me company on the drive.
    "But when I don't smoke I scarcely feel as if I'm living. I don't feel as if I'm living unless I'm killing myself." —Russell Hoban

I'm having the last little but of this sample of HH Mature Virginia that Freestoke sent me. Lovely tobacco Jim, thanks for introducing me to it. I may have to buy some "pipe cleaners" soon too and add some of this to the order...

Gonna be a grueling evening. First, I might have to snowblow before we head out into the 25 mph wind and blowing snow in a few hours. It's piling up fast. sigh. Second, I'll have to drive back. sigh. Driving in a white out is always an adventure, but with any luck, I'll be back for the night thread. As I mull over the ominous natural phenomena outside the window, I'll try to remain calm with a Bari full of HHMV. (Yeah, Dan, I've never been sorry I sprang for a pound!)

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Wow, you play piano Clifford!?
    I take piano lessons, which certainly does NOT equate to being able to play! LOL. I took lessons for a year or two when I was a kid. My 8 year old started taking lessons about 2 years ago, and I started up about a year ago...partly to help spur his interest, partly because his playing woke up the desire to play in me.

Besides my lesson book, my most recent pieces are Beethoven's Fur Elise (actually, got it pretty good but not perfect...my teacher suggested to stop practicing it for a month or two and come back to it ), and a couple of Bach minuets and polonaises.

I had some Captain Black and 5 Brothers. I seem to be putting 5 Brothers in practically everything!

A bowl of SG Navy Flake, thanks to DanR.

I probably should have let it dry just a bit longer, but my oh my is this tasty!
    Never trust anyone over 30.

Probably only 6 inches or so at this point, but the plow hasn't been by. I HATE to do the driveway only to have the plow dump a two foot wall of snow at the end of the driveway. I plan to crunch through to the street and do it later. (I also hate snowblowing in the wind. )

I'm headin' SOUTH!! With a little Bayou Morning Flake in the overworked Country Gentleman.

Quote Originally Posted by szyzk View Post
    A bowl of SG Navy Flake, thanks to DanR.
    And I'm following that up with a bowl of Irish Oak!
    Never trust anyone over 30.

I take piano lessons, which certainly does NOT equate to being able to play! LOL. I took lessons for a year or two when I was a kid. My 8 year old started taking lessons about 2 years ago, and I started up about a year ago...partly to help spur his interest, partly because his playing woke up the desire to play in me.
    Ah, it's all coming back now. Sounds like you're doing great!

Coming back to a piece helps in two ways. The parts of the piece that you learned well are remembered, while the parts that were difficult or stumbling blocks are more easily forgotten. A little farther down the road, your technique will be a shade better and the difficulties you ran into before can be attacked from a new perspective without too many bad habits interfering. This results in a piece played better than if you had practiced it continuously during the intervening period.

The driveway is done and the cars are cleaned off, the sun melting off the rest of the white crap. I braced myself with some Golden Age and a glass of orange juice before tackling it, now it's time for a little imaginary trip down South, Bayou Morning Flake. And some coffee! Cold out there.

I bought some Tambolaka in the last group buy, but hadn't opened it yet. I got a bunch of baccy in from Sterling that I needed to jar, so I figured I might as well open this bag of ready rubbed Tambo and jar it....and smoke a little pinch as well.

The Tambolaka is VERY dry....maybe not as dry and crunchy as 5 Brothers, but close. Is it supposed to be like this? Packed a cob and am smoking it now. Hmmm. I'm not blown away, but I think I like it. It reminds me a bit of Peterson Irish Flake, only more earthy. Definitely got a good hit of nicotine, but I don't think I'll be puking and passing out or anything .

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Ah, it's all coming back now. Sounds like you're doing great!

Coming back to a piece helps in two ways. The parts of the piece that you learned well are remembered, while the parts that were difficult or stumbling blocks are more easily forgotten. A little farther down the road, your technique will be a shade better and the difficulties you ran into before can be attacked from a new perspective without too many bad habits interfering. This results in a piece played better than if you had practiced it continuously during the intervening period.
    Makes perfect sense to me!

Actually, gahdzila jr is just now coming back to a piece that he finished and stopped practicing a few months ago.

Here he is playing it just before he dropped it:

Makes perfect sense to me!

Actually, gahdzila jr is just now coming back to a piece that he finished and stopped practicing a few months ago.

Here he is playing it just before he dropped it:
    OutSTANDing!

Page 3 of 388 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 103 ... LastLast