Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 7 of 388 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 57 107 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

The Afternoon Smoke Break

This is a discussion on The Afternoon Smoke Break within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by gahdzila Opened my can of HOTW and had a bowl earlier. Initial impression is pretty decent, but ...

Re: The Afternoon Smoke Break

Quote Originally Posted by gahdzila View Post
    Opened my can of HOTW and had a bowl earlier. Initial impression is pretty decent, but I definitely need to smoke some more to wrap my head around it.

I opened a pouch of SWR this afternoon. Is it supposed to be this dry? Not Five Brothers dry, but definitely significantly drier than PA or CH. Smoking some in a cob now. Hmm. I like it so far. Same as HOTW, I think I need to smoke more before I can really give a definite opinion, but my initial thought is that it's kinda like PA except not as good. Considering how much I like PA, I should probably just give up on trying the other OTC's. So far, I've tried CH and SB and now SWR....but PA is still the undisputed champ in my book.
    Yes, Grasshopper, you now see the wisdom of your ancestors.

Just washed a squatty for the HOTW. Probably after dinner. Having read the ingredients, I'm suddenly eager to try it! I thought it was just "another Virginia", but I see it's burley and perique, too!

Right now, I'm warming up with some -- tada -- PA!
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish RupturedDuck's Avatar

Opened my can of HOTW and had a bowl earlier. Initial impression is pretty decent, but I definitely need to smoke some more to wrap my head around it.

I opened a pouch of SWR this afternoon. Is it supposed to be this dry? Not Five Brothers dry, but definitely significantly drier than PA or CH. Smoking some in a cob now. Hmm. I like it so far. Same as HOTW, I think I need to smoke more before I can really give a definite opinion, but my initial thought is that it's kinda like PA except not as good. Considering how much I like PA, I should probably just give up on trying the other OTC's. So far, I've tried CH and SB and now SWR....but PA is still the undisputed champ in my book.
    I got lost after HOTW.

RD

Quote Originally Posted by RupturedDuck View Post
    I got lost after HOTW.

RD
    Hal of the Wynd
    Sir Walter Raleigh
    Carter Hall
    Sugar Barrel
    Prince Albert
    Over The Counter

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Hal of the Wynd
    Sir Walter Raleigh
    Carter Hall
    Sugar Barrel
    Prince Albert
    Over The Counter
    Thanks Jim. I'm getting better. HOTW I knew from the discussions regarding the February tobacco. FvF shows up enough here that out of curiosity I flipped through Samual Gawith's (SG's - ) offerings and figured out what everyone was talking about. It won't be long before I don't even notice the abbreviations!

RD

Quote Originally Posted by RupturedDuck View Post
    Thanks Jim. I'm getting better. HOTW I knew from the discussions regarding the February tobacco. FvF shows up enough here that out of curiosity I flipped through Samual Gawith's (SG's - ) offerings and figured out what everyone was talking about. It won't be long before I don't even notice the abbreviations!

RD
    More than welcome! I had a vapor lock on SB/Sugar Barrel the other day. Just couldn't come up with anything!

Right now, it's some SG Chocolate Flake, cube cut with my Sabatier chef's knife. Yesterday the FourDot pot held an entire flake, today only about 3/4 of a flake. Go figure.

Ha! I didn't realize I was throwing that many abbreviations out at once. It's only been a few months ago that I was still scratching my head at all of them!

I'm having the rest of the PA/BF#1 (Burley Flake #1) from the paper plate from this morning, with a little Purple Cow thrown in.

Excuse me, gentlemen, while I hop up on the soapbox for a moment.

Light bulbs.

These new compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs they're called, since we're on an abbreviation kick). Supposed to save energy and last forever and therefore put less crap in landfills, right? I call horseshit! I just replaced four of them. They couldn't possibly have been more than a year old when they gave up the ghost. I was at the store to buy new bulbs and I had a decision to make - $12 for one CFL bulb or $12 for FOUR conventional bulbs (60 watt floodlamps). I picked the conventional bulbs this time! My theory (nothing more than a wild guess, really) is that they have crappy ballasts in them. Surely it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to design these things with replaceable ballasts like the old style long fluorescent tubes. Those things last forever!

Now they've got LED bulbs on the shelves. You're kidding me, right? You goobers can't design a CFL to last as long as it should, and you think I'm going to pay up to $30 for ONE of these LEDs?!?!?

Now they've got LED bulbs on the shelves. You're kidding me, right? You goobers can't design a CFL to last as long as it should, and you think I'm going to pay up to $30 for ONE of these LEDs?!?!?
    Really. I take a second seat to no one in my environmental radicality (I'd like to see $30 per gallon gasoline for example ), but the florescent lightbulbs are definitely a crock, an extraordinary popular delusion right up there with destroying farmland, rivers, aquifers, coastal waters, monarch butterflies, essential soil bacteria and driving up food prices in order to burn corn in our SUVs. Total insanity, and both of them "green" monuments to scientific ignorance. (My suggestion for a bumper sticker: "Better out of oil than out of soil.") In the northern latitudes, they wouldn't save energy even if they worked as advertised! Heat from incandescent bulbs is a benefit, not wasted energy.

Finally finished this bowl of Chocolate Flake. Man, is that a long smoke! (It's okay, I'm tough. I can take it. )
    Last edited by freestoke; 02-02-2012 at 02:14 PM.

The CFL's also work terribly on a dimmer switch.

For Christmas, my gf found me a Savinelli Virginia 510KS, a shape/trim combination I had been looking for, but had given up the search after consulting a Savinelli catalog and finding out that there is no such combination. This afternoon I'm enjoying a little Old Ironsides, recommended by my B&M, in this lovely pipe.

RD

I'm having a bowl of C&D Milk and Honey this afternoon. It's not a "blow your socks off" tobacco by any stretch of the imagination, but it's nice for a change of pace. I've actually been targeting all my mason jars that are almost empty so I can "finish" them in my tobaccocellar. I'm trying to make some room to open a few new things and reorganize others. In doing so, I rediscovered a few gems that I haven't smoked in a while.

I must say, it's about time Dan, your open container situation having been a cause for concern in the pipe community for some time. I foresee a new record for finished containers on the horizon at tobaccocellar, as you deal with your problem.

Yesterday I reamed the 4Dot. I knew things were out of control when I realized my SMALL wooden tamper was having trouble and had to shift to a golf tee. I removed approximately 11 pounds of carbon dust with my trusty Senior Reamer. Who knew a bowl of PA would last an hour in this pipe!? Just about halfway through my "new" 4Dot with a fresh load of Prince Albert. Amazing how much tobacco goes in there now!

Two bowls of HOTW this morning in preparation for my monthly review, and now I'm smoking down a bowl of MM 965 before I leave work for the day.
    Never trust anyone over 30.

Well this is a pleasant surprise! 5B plus a pinch of BCA, about 4:1. Excellent!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish mmiller's Avatar

Went to the smoke shop with kyle and scott, I had a Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 Maduro and 3 pipes of my tobacco pouch mix of SB/TX tea/Capt Black
    Pipes, Cigars and Snuff

I'm doing an experiment while I work on my third bowl in the 4Dot, some 5B and a pinch of 1Q. indigosmoke. On the "What kind of Peterson is this?" thread, this shows up as grayed text. Smoky even. I'm curious if it's the entire page display actually setting a keyword or something totally bizarre like that, or whether it's just some fluky thing in this browser. So there you have it. What color is indigosmoke? (Seems even if it was a keyword, it'd show up in some shade of blue. )

Wow. It's grayed out here too. Very, very strange. How about limegosmoke?

Not that one. Whatever, the 5B+1Q isn't as good as the BCA version.

Awaiting Confirmation karatekyle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    I'm doing an experiment while I work on my third bowl in the 4Dot, some 5B and a pinch of 1Q. indigosmoke. On the "What kind of Peterson is this?" thread, this shows up as grayed text. Smoky even. I'm curious if it's the entire page display actually setting a keyword or something totally bizarre like that, or whether it's just some fluky thing in this browser. So there you have it. What color is indigosmoke? (Seems even if it was a keyword, it'd show up in some shade of blue. )

Wow. It's grayed out here too. Very, very strange. How about limegosmoke?

Not that one. Whatever, the 5B+1Q isn't as good as the BCA version.
    Hmm weird! Mine doesn't do that.

Page 7 of 388 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 57 107 ... LastLast