Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 388 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 101 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

The Afternoon Smoke Break

This is a discussion on The Afternoon Smoke Break within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I couldn't decide whether to post my latest woolgathering to the "Good Morning" thread or "Tonight's Smoke II". I chose ...

The Afternoon Smoke Break

I couldn't decide whether to post my latest woolgathering to the "Good Morning" thread or "Tonight's Smoke II". I chose to expand into the vacuum, clenching the trusty Bari Dana between my determined teeth as I sallied forth into the -- er -- afternoon. Having reached my destination, I'll start with some Scotch Flake Aromatic.

Semper excelcior!

Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Awaiting Confirmation karatekyle's Avatar

Re: The Afternoon Smoke Break

I like it. 3-4 days until you'll start seeing my posts here, counting down the seconds! I kick my nicotine habit for 4-5 weeks. I brought snuff home but started tapering it off after a week or so. A pile of O&G just doesn't give the same hit a pile of RY gives. So I figured, what the hell, I'll quit during break.

I can't wait to get back and light up a bowl of Royal Yacht. I might end up on my knees since my nicotine tolerance is probably zilch now though. We'll see how that ends up.

Piccadilly after lunch for me.
    Those that know don't tell, and those that tell don't know.

I've moved on to a bowl of RY in the Diplomat. Figuring that GH&Co. would stand a chance of producing a snuff the power of their pipe tobacco, were such a thing possible, I tried an antacid sized pile of English Rose before my shower. While my eyes watered and sinuses burned (I like hot salsa, too ), I detected no accompanying nicotine component. I gave it ten minutes and then took my shower. I am now, restoring nicotine homeostasis.

McClelland Bombay Extra here. After cleaning the patio and garage - it's actually 40 degrees here. Balmy!
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

LOL! I thought about starting this thread a couple of weeks ago when we were talking about it, but I ended up deciding that a third "what are you smoking" and banter thread in the pipe forum would be a little redundant.

But now that it's here.....I may as well participate!

We're having a pretty good weekend at work. Nice and quiet. Unfortunately, though, that means no afternoon smoke for me. I'm having a little snus now. This one was sent to me by mistake with my last order. The name on the can is Offroad Coola. I assume "coola" is Swedish for some sort of oddball concoction of flavorings...spicy, a little licorice?,and something else I can't put a finger on. I'm not crazy about it. I have a plain eucalyptus that isnt bad, and another called Gotenborg Rape that quite literally tastes like Earl Gray tea and is pretty darned good. But my favorite is just plain old ordinary peppermint.

Quote Originally Posted by gahdzila View Post
    ...and another called Gotenborg Rape that quite literally tastes like Earl Gray tea...

Quote Originally Posted by karatekyle View Post
    LOL...I'm not a big tea guy, but that's what it tastes like to me, anyway. Northerner describes the flavor as juniper berry and herbs. I have no idea what juniper berries are supposed to taste like, but this snus reminds me of the flavoring in Earl Gray tea (bergamot? I think?). I'll send ya a few pouches if you're interested. Swedish snus is powerful stuff nicotine-wise. I usually like the smaller pouches, and I steer clear of the "extra sterk" ones. What I like about it is that it's so discreet that I can use it at work and no one can tell. Imagine a tiny portion of dipping tobacco that you don't have to spit.

LOL...I'm not a big tea guy, but that's what it tastes like to me, anyway. Northerner describes the flavor as juniper berry and herbs. I have no idea what juniper berries are supposed to taste like, but this snus reminds me of the flavoring in Earl Gray tea (bergamot? I think?). I'll send ya a few pouches if you're interested. Swedish snus is powerful stuff nicotine-wise. I usually like the smaller pouches, and I steer clear of the "extra sterk" ones. What I like about it is that it's so discreet that I can use it at work and no one can tell. Imagine a tiny portion of dipping tobacco that you don't have to spit.

That was for the "Gotenborg Rape," not the Earl Grey tea

Per your offer, I'll respectfully decline. I appreciate your generosity but I just can't put tobacco in my mouth. I'm in a town full of cowboys. All the Skoal and Cope usage has really turned me off to the whole idea. I don't know what it is I don't like but I can't get past it.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish mmiller's Avatar

I have a plain eucalyptus that isnt bad, and another called Gotenborg Rape that quite literally tastes like Earl Gray tea and is pretty darned good. But my favorite is just plain old ordinary peppermint.
    Sounds like I need to get my mits on some of these sometime, They sound delicious!

Scratch that, not a snus guy! haha should have read more closely!
    Last edited by mmiller; 01-07-2012 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Misread
    Pipes, Cigars and Snuff

Quote Originally Posted by karatekyle View Post

That was for the "Gotenborg Rape," not the Earl Grey tea

Per your offer, I'll respectfully decline. I appreciate your generosity but I just can't put tobacco in my mouth. I'm in a town full of cowboys. All the Skoal and Cope usage has really turned me off to the whole idea. I don't know what it is I don't like but I can't get past it.
    Gotcha. Yeah, I thought that was weird the first time I saw it too. It's Swedish, I have no idea what it means in Swedish, but I'm sure it doesn't carry the same connotations that it does in English. I misspelled it anyway. It's actually Goteborgs, with the two dots over the "o", and the "e" in Rape has an accent on it, so I guess it's pronounced "rah-PAY" or something like that. I'm much much too lazy to figure out how to type those symbols on my computer keyboard

I totally understand your hesitation. I'm not only in a town full of cowboys...I'm in a whole state full! I tried dipping tobacco about 15 years ago (in college, peer pressure and all that), and didn't like it at all. I couldn't stomach the flavor. I could only barely tolerate cherry and peppermint...the neutral tobaccos like Copenhagen and the most popular wintergreen flavored skoal are DISGUSTING to me. Not to mention the getting it caught between your teeth and the whole spitting thing...it just grossed me out. Even now, I can't use wintergreen flavored snus as the flavor is reminiscent of wintergreen skoal to me

You made me curious, and I went to googling.

Apparently, rapé is actually a French word for some sort of grater or rasp that was used in the 1700s to grate tobacco to make nasal snuff. And, Brazillians call nasal snuff "rapé" to this day!

FEAR MY 133t GOOGLE SKILLZ!!!

I don't know how or why the word came to be used as a brand name of Swedish snus, though.

It's afternoon and time for a threadshift. Some real codger activity now, 5B in the Legend -- with a pinch of SWR at the bottom to stabilize the dottle. I'll pretend I'm taking a break from fence mending.

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    It's afternoon and time for a threadshift. Some real codger activity now, 5B in the Legend -- with a pinch of SWR at the bottom to stabilize the dottle. I'll pretend I'm taking a break from fence mending.
    Or should that be rail splitting?
    Those that know don't tell, and those that tell don't know.

You made me curious, and I went to googling.

Apparently, rapé is actually a French word for some sort of grater or rasp that was used in the 1700s to grate tobacco to make nasal snuff. And, Brazillians call nasal snuff "rapé" to this day!

FEAR MY 133t GOOGLE SKILLZ!!!

I don't know how or why the word came to be used as a brand name of Swedish snus, though.
    Ahh that makes sense. At first, I thought you misspelled "Rope," I'm used to pipe tabak lingo

Page 1 of 388 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 101 ... LastLast