Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32

A Terrible Experience with Altinok Pipes

This is a discussion on A Terrible Experience with Altinok Pipes within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; ...

  
  1. #1

    Young Puffer Fish Emerson Biggins's Avatar


     

    A Terrible Experience with Altinok Pipes

    After deciding to get a meerschaum pipe I was pointed (by a co-worker) into the direction of three highly regarded carvers/sellers. IMP, Baki and Altinok. I decided on Altinok because his prices and shapes were more to my liking. I am aware that he carved the Puff pipe for 2010 and likely has some supporters here but I wanted put my experience on the forum because it was so horrendous, that I wanted to give people an idea of what can go wrong.

    I ordered a simple pipe from Sinan, just a large brandy lattice (Product #IK10, and was quoted a two month delivery. Well, after a three month wait, I finally received the package and opened it up to find the worst looking meerschaum I have ever seen. The pipe was considerably smaller than ordered, at least half an inch in length and also in bowl height. Instead of carving any lattice work, the person just took a sharp tool and scratched little non-symetrical half-moon shapes and circles around the pipe. There were other things that showed poor quality of work but those were the main problems.

    I contacted Sinan and told him about the pipe and he instructed me to return the pipe at my expense, as he did not have a shipping account. I told him I didnít think shipping the wrong pipe back should cost me anything and let him know that I would want to be credited the shipping cost or be upgraded to the extra-large sized Brandy Lattice pipe. He said that he would credit me the shipping cost once he received the pipe and informed me that he could not give me an ETA for the correct pipe because he didnít have any meerschaum to carve, or know when he would be getting any. I was done at this pointÖ there was no way I was going to wait another 4-5 months in hopes of receiving what I ordered three months previously, so I told him to cancel my order and to credit all of the costs back to my credit card, and we would call it even.

    On December 27th, I received this E-mail from him:
    Hi Mike,

    I received the pipe today. You were right. The carving was totally different than that of the displayed one. I will talk to my carver and if you like, I would like to make the same pipe you originally ordered. Sure, I will refund the $29.95 return shipping with pleasure. What do you think? I don't want any customers left behind with unpleasant feelings about my business.

    Happy New Year!
    Sinan

    To date, and despite my attempts to contact him, I have never received another E-mail after December 27th . Toward the end of January, I called my credit card company and filed a claims dispute. The credit card company was able to credit me for the initial cost of the pipe and the shipping; however, they would not compensate me for the return shipping, even though their policy is that I have to return the item to the merchant, before filing a dispute claim.

    I have nothing good to say about Altinok, his pipes or his service. Iím sure he has done right for others; however, I will not be recommending him to anyone and I feel strongly enough about my negative experience that I wanted to let everyone know what happened to me, so you would think twice about placing any more orders with him.

    Mike Foster

  2. #2

    Young Puffer Fish Sinan Altinok's Avatar


     

    Re: A Terrible Experience with Altinok Pipes

    I think you are a little greedy kid to play in a big garden where the kids not allowed to enter. I hope you are older than 18. Because you are smoking.

    In fact, it was only a small difference in details. The pictures were showing an eye-drops lattice but we instead had made another kind of lattice. Anyway, you were right if you didn't like it. I offered you that I could make a new pipe with the same lattice you want otherwise you could return the pipe to claim a refund. You didn't accept to get a replacement and returned the pipe which is fair enough. As soon as I have received the returning pipe, I refunded in full as promised (pipe price and shipping cost). Right here, I have to stress that I made the refund process, NOT your card company. Also, I never intended and promised to anyone to refund any returning shipping cost if the customer likes to return the pipe. Everything has been done correctly and ethically according to my business rules.

    Case closed.

    Sinan Altinok

  3. #3

    Young Puffer Fish Emerson Biggins's Avatar


     

    Re: A Terrible Experience with Altinok Pipes

    Sinan,
    Your insults do not hide the fact that you sent me the wrong pipe, and you did not reimbures me for the return shipping cost of the poorly carved pipe. If what I had received was even close to what was ordered and was of decent craftsmanship, I would have accepted the pipe and not cared. My complaint is valid.

  4. #4

    Puffer Fish with some spikes IrishCamel81's Avatar


     

    Re: A Terrible Experience with Altinok Pipes

    Greedy for not wanting to pay to return something you didn't order? Eeesh.
    Should have gone with a Baki.

  5. #5

    Smoking Volunteer bpegler's Avatar


     

    Re: A Terrible Experience with Altinok Pipes

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinan Altinok View Post
    I think you are a little greedy kid to play in a big garden where the kids not allowed to enter. I hope you are older than 18. Because you are smoking.


    Case closed.

    Sinan Altinok
    There is absolutely no reason to have made this into a personal attack. If you cannot conduct yourself in a professional manner, you will loose the privilege of posting on this forum.

    As to the OP, I believe your point about customer service has been made. Personally, I would never do business with someone who demonstrated such an attitude. I'm sure this will be noticed by the other BOTLs who read this.
    Out of the blue and into the black.

  6. #6

    Leading Puffer Fish Stonedog's Avatar


     

    Re: A Terrible Experience with Altinok Pipes

    I hate to see the general pipe forum marred by topics like this.

    Does Puff have a Cheers'n'Jeers (or similar) sub forum?
    So in other words, stop reading reviews and smoke more tobacco?
    Read! Think! Debate! Vote!

  7. #7

    Leading Puffer Fish ChronoB's Avatar


     

    Re: A Terrible Experience with Altinok Pipes

    When it comes to ebay, online shopping from small vendors, etc., I have a very simple rule: if the person selling the item is out of the reach of a car trip, I don't buy it. If someone screws me over and I can't get in the car, however far away it may be, and drive up to his place of business to personally complain and make my demands then I simply pass on the purchase. As a consumer you have no protection or recourse with a retailer that is an ocean away. Live and learn.

  8. #8

    Leading Puffer Fish


     

    Re: A Terrible Experience with Altinok Pipes

    Quote Originally Posted by Stonedog View Post
    I hate to see the general pipe forum marred by topics like this.
    +1 on this.... this thread could go bad fast...
    Join us for the Puff Monthly Tobacco Review: May's blend is Dunhill's Nightcap. Post reviews and join the discussion here.

  9. #9

    T-Squared TommyTree's Avatar


     

    Re: A Terrible Experience with Altinok Pipes

    Both parties concerned have given their side. I don't know how much more needs to be said on the subject. It's unfortunate that this disagreement, for whatever reason, had to go public.
    Enabler, Philosopher and Resident Imbiber

  10. #10

    ... bazookajoe's Avatar


     

    Re: A Terrible Experience with Altinok Pipes

    Quote Originally Posted by Stonedog View Post
    I hate to see the general pipe forum marred by topics like this.

    Does Puff have a Cheers'n'Jeers (or similar) sub forum?
    There is no separate forum for complaints or accolades—those type of areas usually become unmanageable. While threads like this can be unpleasant they do provide some insight into the behavior, attitudes etc. of members and vendors. It's an unfortunate aspect of the anonymity internet forums provide.

  11. #11

    Leading Puffer Fish Troutman22's Avatar


     

    Re: A Terrible Experience with Altinok Pipes

    I applaud the original poster and appreciate the heads up. After the comment:

    I think you are a little greedy kid to play in a big garden where the kids not allowed to enter. I hope you are older than 18. Because you are smoking.
    I believe the complaint to be legit.
    Pipe Tobacco Lotto winner for July 2014!

  12. #12

    Leading Puffer Fish ChronoB's Avatar


     

    Re: A Terrible Experience with Altinok Pipes

    Quote Originally Posted by bazookajoe View Post
    There is no separate forum for complaints or accolades—those type of areas usually become unmanageable. While threads like this can be unpleasant they do provide some insight into the behavior, attitudes etc. of members and vendors. It's an unfortunate aspect of the anonymity internet forums provide.
    We (pipe smokers) are a small community. I honestly think we need threads like this. Consumer and retailer can make their case to the community and we can draw our own conclusions. Should they want to make it personal there are private means of doing that. The internet can be a great equalizer. Treat your customers poorly, and others will hear. Be an unreasonable consumer, and your forum mates will hear.

  13. #13

    Puffer Fish with some spikes IrishCamel81's Avatar


     

    Re: A Terrible Experience with Altinok Pipes

    I think if this was only regarding the quality/performance of a pipe it should go in the PIPE RELATED REVIEWS. I prefer complaints or compliments like this in the general forum. My opinion.

    Regards,

  14. #14

    Alpha Puffer Fish Firedawg's Avatar


     

    Re: A Terrible Experience with Altinok Pipes

    You could tell this wasnt gonna end well..

    Long Alti
    I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat.
    Edgar Allan Poe

  15. #15

    Leading Puffer Fish


     

    Re: A Terrible Experience with Altinok Pipes

    Quote Originally Posted by Firedawg View Post
    You could tell this wasnt gonna end well..

    Long Alti
    Yeah, I thought I had seen this somewhere before... I'm not really sure what to make of the whole thing...
    Join us for the Puff Monthly Tobacco Review: May's blend is Dunhill's Nightcap. Post reviews and join the discussion here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •