Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2oz equals ?

This is a discussion on 2oz equals ? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I need a way to measure out 2oz of tobacco without a scale. Is there any method?...

2oz equals ?

I need a way to measure out 2oz of tobacco without a scale. Is there any method?
    Pipe Tobacco Lotto winner for July 2014!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish mmiller's Avatar

Re: 2oz equals ?

Fill up an 8oz mason jar a little snug and that will put you pretty close to 2oz of tobacco
    Pipes, Cigars and Snuff

Leading Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by mmiller View Post
    Fill up an 8oz mason jar a little snug and that will put you pretty close to 2oz of tobacco

This can work but remember it also depends on the cut and the moisture level of the tobacco...
    Join us for the Puff Monthly Tobacco Review: May's blend is Dunhill's Nightcap. Post reviews and join the discussion here.

Quote Originally Posted by Troutman22 View Post
    I need a way to measure out 2oz of tobacco without a scale. Is there any method?

Nope.
    THE RENT IS TOO DAMN HIGH!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick S. View Post
    This can work but remember it also depends on the cut and the moisture level of the tobacco...
    That is true, I guess you could also measuring out buy filling up one of your old tins.
    Pipes, Cigars and Snuff

So when you buy a tin is the weight the tobak and the tin together? Because I was thinking of the tin method as well.

Build a balance, then look to the net for weights of common coins to use as counterweights. Can't be too tough.

Joe
    Gurkha is the main reason I have trust issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Troutman22 View Post
    So when you buy a tin is the weight the tobak and the tin together? Because I was thinking of the tin method as well.
    I am pretty sure it is just the tobacco they weigh or else they would start making heavy tins
    Pipes, Cigars and Snuff

Leading Puffer Fish

the weight is in the tobacco, so a 2 oz tin will weigh more than 2 oz. there are a lot of factors that go into what a tobacco weighs... but the biggest are the moisture level and the weight. I ended up getting a cheap food scale to be able to weigh out stuff.

I just weighed a 50g tin of Grey Havens and it came to 75g
    Join us for the Puff Monthly Tobacco Review: May's blend is Dunhill's Nightcap. Post reviews and join the discussion here.

ok thanks all!

What type of tobacco?

2oz of ribbon looks like it fills up quite a bit more of a tin/baggy than the equivalent weight of flakes.
    Never trust anyone over 30.

Quote Originally Posted by szyzk View Post
    What type of tobacco?

2oz of ribbon looks like it fills up quite a bit more of a tin/baggy than the equivalent weight of flakes.
    +1

Flakes can be deceiving. Very dense and usually very moist. I use my reloading scale to weight out tobbacos. About $30 on ebay.
    Maybe money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy fine cigars and liquor.
    Me-

Well a scale is a good thing to have (mail, food and so much more)

5kg 1g ~ 5000g Digital Postal Food Diet Kitchen Scale | eBay

I picked up one of these and works great. So much easier for USPS mailings. cheap too
    I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat.
    Edgar Allan Poe

I def need to add a scale to my shopping list.

Nothing is better than a pan balance. Scales get wonky, center it so the pans are level when empty, weights are cheap. Unless you're going under a gram the accuracy is great. Got a nice large antique one at a flea market a couple years ago for $5. Gravity still works where I'm at. I tend to grab old science stuff, if it's way underpriced.

Joe
    Gurkha is the main reason I have trust issues.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast