Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Puff 2012 Pipe Purchase Thread - Get Your Tinsky Here!

This is a discussion on Puff 2012 Pipe Purchase Thread - Get Your Tinsky Here! within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; IMHO we should not focus this thread on picking apart this post. We should rise above, move on and talk ...

Puffer Fish with many spikes johnb's Avatar

Re: Puff 2012 Pipe Purchase Thread - Get Your Tinsky Here!

IMHO we should not focus this thread on picking apart this post. We should rise above, move on and talk about how lucky we are to have Tinsky make us a custom pipe and how great it will be to get..

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    IMHO we should not focus this thread on picking apart this post. We should rise above, move on and talk about how lucky we are to have Tinsky make us a custom pipe and how great it will be to get..
    The cake is a lie!

Señor Corncob

I want one..no...i NEED one!

Elder Puffer Fish Leader indigosmoke's Avatar

Hi Guys,

I heard back from Mark and have some info for you. I have sent a follow up email to clarify a few things on the finish/stem color possibilities and when I have that information I'll post it.

However, Mark has suggested we use mazur birch for the stem insert. He describes this wood as a beautiful blonde wood with birdseye in it. If you search Google images for mazur birch you can see some examples of the wood. He hasn't had this wood in stock for some time but will get some for our pipe if we would like.

Anyway, knowing Mark we'll get answers to our questions pretty quickly. He's very good about answering emails.

As for the pricing, I'll check with Mark, but I told him initially that we would probably have 20 to 30 pipes purchased in total (based on previous years I figured that was a ball park figure) so he based his pricing on that figure.
    “The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck

Elder Puffer Fish Leader indigosmoke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Mongo want!
    Mark, it's great to have you on board! We need to get a few more pipe FOGs involved. I do feel for the guys who's budgets won't allow for the purchase, but I think this will turn out to be a very nice pipe for those who can. I'm going to try and set things up with Mark so that members who want to/need to save some $ will have time to do so. I'm hoping he will do direct sales from his website and keep the option to buy open all year. I don't know if he will be able to do that, but when I hear back from Mark I'll let you all know.
    “The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck

I am in! FOR SURE! Nice Pipe, I voted for the Pete as a price point, but I am happy about this pipe for sure.

Puffer Fish with many spikes WWhermit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by indigosmoke View Post
    Mark, it's great to have you on board! We need to get a few more pipe FOGs involved. I do feel for the guys who's budgets won't allow for the purchase, but I think this will turn out to be a very nice pipe for those who can. I'm going to try and set things up with Mark so that members who want to/need to save some $ will have time to do so. I'm hoping he will do direct sales from his website and keep the option to buy open all year. I don't know if he will be able to do that, but when I hear back from Mark I'll let you all know.
    I think that would be a great and workable option for those that can't afford the price upfront. Saving $25 a month can seem a lot less daunting than $185. Hopefully he'll give us that option. Thanks for the work here Indigo!

WWhermit
    A person starts to live when he can live outside himself. -Albert Einstein
    My humble cellar.

Quote Originally Posted by indigosmoke View Post
    I'm going to try and set things up with Mark so that members who want to/need to save some $ will have time to do so.
    That will be an elegant solution for some, definitely. Thank you, John!
    Never trust anyone over 30.

Subscribed, and ready to order!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

185? siiiiiiiiiigh

Alpha Puffer Fish drastic_quench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Firedawg View Post
    I am so glad your happy for me not being able to afford the puff pipe this year. I called you a few names but decided it was best not to type them out and cool down myself.
    There's no honest way you can infer that from what I wrote. Your finances are your own very personal business, and this is an optional luxury purchase -- of which I didn't even vote on. Do you have a chip on your shoulder for every piper who cast a vote Tinskey's way? I hope not. If I even wanted yet another pipe, I can't say I would be eager to drop nearly $200 either. Not to take anything away from Tinsky -- by all reports Tinskey pipes are worth every dollar in both aesthetic and engineering, but it is a considerable sum. Still, if this optional luxury purchase is somehow a "have to" there's not a huge difference in saving for a $100 pipe from a $185 one. I can't be the only one with cellared tins of stuff I'm no longer interested in or estate pipes I never smoke that could sell to smokingpipes, PipeStud, et al. for the price of postage.

ETA: You know what? This isn't even about Tinskey and his pricetag. If I was voting, I would have pushed Johs hard. I am happy that Peterson didn't win because:

The Puff Pipe stays handmade for three years in a row.
    It is more unique and not nearly as easy to come by.
    The drilling/engineering will be reliably impeccable across the board.
    It's made in the USA for the first time.
    It is arguably the best yet. This should only get better every year.
    Last edited by drastic_quench; 03-19-2012 at 07:46 PM.
    Any man who checks his watch while smoking his pipe is doing it wrong.

Im gonna just leave it alone.

As for the Tinsky pipe it is a great looking pipe and I bet many will enjoy it as the Puff 2012 pipe. Thanks to the gents who have put this together and all their work!
    I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat.
    Edgar Allan Poe

I'm definitely in!

Awaiting Confirmation karatekyle's Avatar

Pretty pipe, wish I had the dough to get involved. College be bleedin' me dry, men!

Looking forward to seeing the pictures of these as you all get 'em!

Definitely in!! Can't flippin' wait!! Any news on coloring? I'm hoping for a slightly darker stain then the picture, but I'll take anything

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast