Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Buffing wheel question

This is a discussion on Buffing wheel question within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I am going to swing by the hardware store on the way home from work and pick up a couple ...

Buffing wheel question

I am going to swing by the hardware store on the way home from work and pick up a couple buffing wheels to buffs some estate pipes I am restoring. In the link below are the options I have. I would like to apply carnuba wax using a wheel and then dry buff it off.

Which ones would you recommend?

doitbest.com: Search results for 6" buffing wheel

Re: Buffing wheel question

I can't recommend a brand, but I can recommend a formula. This is from David Johnson, who carved under Ozark Mountain Briar.

For adequate buffing you need a surface speed of somewhere between 2000 and 4500 fpm. To calculate fpm, multiply the circumference of the buff (diameter x pi) by the rpm, then divide by 12.

In this instance, your 4" buffs have a circumference of 12.6 inches (4 x 3.1416). 12.6" circumference x 1950 rpm = 24570 sipm (surface inches per minute) divided by 12 = 2047.5 sfpm (surface feet per minute) Which should be adequate for your buffing needs. This is just a guide though so try both higher and lower speeds to see what works best for you. I buff with brown tripoli and white diamond at 1800 rpm with 8 inch buffs which gives me the best result.

White diamond compound should be available from most online woodworking sites. I bought mine from Craft Supplies USA Buffing Compound - Woodturners Catalog - Woodworking tools and supplies specializing in woodturning.
    Enabler, Philosopher and Resident Imbiber

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

guys, i live in a 1 bedroom apt and dont' have space for a large buffing wheel... What are my options? Or is it buffing wheel or bust?

Do you have a drill?

Quote Originally Posted by pipinho View Post
    guys, i live in a 1 bedroom apt and dont' have space for a large buffing wheel... What are my options? Or is it buffing wheel or bust?
    I've seen guys use a drill, but if you're really strapped for space and only doing basic maintenance, you might want to look for a polishing cloth instead.
    Enabler, Philosopher and Resident Imbiber

would a regular drill from home depot be good enough? There is a small savenelli that i want to redo. The wood is so dark now that i can't see the grain at all, even with a rubdown with murphy's wood wash/polish and mineral oil... Really thinking about doing a strip job.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Matt4370's Avatar

What about a Dremel, or other rotary tool? May take a bit longer, but for size and sound issues it may be worth looking into.

Having never buffed or polished wood I have no personal experience to offer, but, I would thing to would want to avoid the "spiral" buffing wheels as they tend to be stiffer. A stiffer wheel would build more heat, and depending on how abrasive the polishing compound, may actually to more harm than good. Also, from my experience, you would want to use 2 different wheels, one to apply polish/compound, and one to buff it off. I'm sure there are more knowledgeable fellas on here that will chime in and help you out better than I can.

Ben,
    Any drill that you can adjust the speed on will work. You can pick up a cheap drill from a pawn shop or harbor freight and it will do the trick. The harbor you need to hold the wheels you can get at any hardware store that has buffing wheels.

Ben,

The drill will work if you can keep the rpms under 2000. Higher than that, the wheel can grab the pipe out of your hands and throw it across the room with a fair amount of force. There's a small jig that will hold a drill securely on a tabletop. I use an unstitched wheel with carnauba wax for the briar, and a stitched wheel with red tripoli for the stems and to remove carbon from the crest of the bowl.

Russ

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by pipinho View Post
    In the following article, a Foredom BL-1 is recommended. They're pretty small.

http://www.pipes.org/article.php?sto...00501080903914

Money is also an issue so I would prefer the drill option.... Decisions decisions

Puffer Fish with some spikes dgerwin11's Avatar

I have used a 3/8" B&D variable speed with good results. You need a way ro clamp it to a solid surface. A 6" c-clamp would work. Or for under $40.00 you can buy a B&D WorkMate. It is a folding work bench with a two piece top that can also act as a vice. A Dremel is way too fast to do a good buffing job.

Just to second some advice already noted on this thread:
    - a cheap, variable speed, electric drill is your best option. Every big hardware retailer (Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, etc) should carry some kind of "buffing" kit, that includes a couple soft 4" - 6" wheels, and a bit of red and white compounds. Use these (under 2k RPM for 6" buffs) to remove buildup and brighten the pipe.
    - Dremel, or other rotary brands = Bad for restoring pipes. Way too fast, even on a low setting.

. . .there are faster, more expensive options out there. . .but a drill and some cloth wheels should be all you need for now. . .

Carnauba wax isn't usually found in stores. You'll need to order it from somewhere. It's cheap, and a little goes a long way.

As far as buffing wheel texture: The softer the better. You'll get a sense of what works best as you clean up your pipe(s). But to start, buy the buffing wheels that are mostly soft cloth (i.e., the majority of the wheel is cloth, and only the middle is sewn together).

Good luck, and be sure to post your "before" and "after" pics!

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes quo155's Avatar

I can't wait to get my shop completed and my buffers to buffin'!

I love reading these threads as they really get me excited to get up and get things done around my place...but with three kids and a beautiful wife...I don't seem to find the time!
    Join the NRA, ask me WHY! CCF on Facebook

well guys, i got myself a small folding workbench, vs drill, stitched buffing wheels, c-clamp, clamp, and am waiting for the buffing compounds. will keep ya updated