Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Puff 2013 Group Pipe - Open Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on Puff 2013 Group Pipe - Open Discussion Thread within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; If we go Nording would it be possible to go with an option like........ THIS?????????? Or at least ask Dave ...

Puffer Fish with many spikes Blue_2's Avatar

Re: Puff 2013 Group Pipe - Open Discussion Thread

If we go Nording would it be possible to go with an option like........THIS??????????

Or at least ask Dave if he'd do a run of these at a club price?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRooster View Post
    Update on the nording front:

On a whim today I contacted a good BOTL here on puff (BazookaJoe) who also happens to own a tobacco shop... My understanding of how Nording works through distributors in the US is that even if we do make a deal with the distributor we would still have to find a retailer to go through. Joe kindly offered to be our retailer. Beyond that, he already has a relationship with the Nording distributor, as well as others, and is currently helping me negotiate what we can do as far as price, quantity, stamps etc... He's also agreed to help with other carvers/distributors we might be interested in that won't deal with us directly.

As it stands currently I believe that Nording will definitely be an option this year, and an extremely affordable one at that.
    Glad to hear it, here's hoping it doesn't suddenly go south again. I, for one, would love to add a Nording to my collection!
    The cake is a lie!

Pale Horse

That's great news, Bill! I'm very glad to hear it, great thinking getting in touch with Joe!

Quote Originally Posted by BrewShooter View Post
    Glad to hear it, here's hoping it doesn't suddenly go south again. I, for one, would love to add a Nording to my collection!
    I think negotiations went south last year because we were requesting a specific shape and that just didn't fit their model. Since it seems that folks are leaning towards a freehand shape, I think that this has a very good chance of happening. I doubt they will be uniform, but I think that makes it more fun

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Ok. Things are a little strange with the nording distributor. Joe talked to them this morning, they won't do a stamp. I think there may just be some things, with a larger manufacturer, that we will not be able to get exactly as if we were dealing with a smaller carver. Nording is on the table for the club pipe, we can work out all the kinks with the distributor that were there last year... We can definitely do nording if we want, but we won't be able to get a stamp, and we can only really do it if we go the freehand route.

That said, we do have an interesting opportunity for anyone who is interested in doing something soon, and wants a unique nording. Obviously, this early in the discussion I can't put this forth as an official 2013 club pipe, but apparently Erik Nording himself is visiting the distributor on November 2nd, and there is the possibility of us getting a number of pipes signed to us as a group by Erik when he's at the distributor. I want to stress that I'm not trying to put this forth as the 2013 club pipe, because clearly people haven't had time to talk to all of the carvers they want, put things to a vote, etc...

That said, this is a fairly unique opportunity to get something signed by Erik Nording, like, with a pen. Joe says $90 shipped. Would be the signature smooth freehand, with the woodburned signature on one side, and a hand written inscription on the other. We'd have to decide on what we wanted it to say as a group... Let me know if there's any interest. We'd need to move on this quickly.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish bazookajoe8's Avatar

Hey guys, just a follow up on what Bill has said above here. My distributor has told me that Nording will be visiting them on the weekend of Nov 2nd. And she told me that he can sign the signature smooth freehand with something you guys like. it will be on the other side of his signature using the same pen that he uses to sign his name. So it will not fade or rub off. it will all have to be the same, but its one of the most unique opportunities.

the biggest hurdle of course is the time frame. but this is probably one of the only times that something like this will happen. if not then we can always work something else out for the club pipe. even if some of you guys want to do this, we can still go ahead with it. just have to come together a little quickly.

i will do my best to get something you all will like. any other suggestions or questions feel free to ask

Pale Horse

Dang, no chance for the partial rusticated signature? I really prefer them to the smooth :\

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish bazookajoe8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Horse View Post
    Dang, no chance for the partial rusticated signature? I really prefer them to the smooth :\
    i think it all depends on what they have on hand at the distributor at the time. i can certainly call and ask to see what they have in stock if there is enough interest

Puff's Resident Evil Dr. Dr. Plume's Avatar

I say yay!
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

Alpha Puffer Fish drastic_quench's Avatar

All the Puff pipes have had PUFF and the year either stamped or carved (meerschaum) into them. I think that's a basic requirement in my view. Boswell's for instance, carves his signature rather than stamping, but that would be fine compared to nothing.
    Any man who checks his watch while smoking his pipe is doing it wrong.

Yeah, the Nording thing sounds cool, but I wouldn't consider it an 'official Puff year pipe'. Still sounds interesting, though!
    ********.com

Yeah, it was the shape and quantity, along with the stamping, that did us in with Nording last year. I might have some interest in this personally signed Nording pipe, but I do agree that the PUFF pipe probably should have some permanent stamp or carving in it. I will say I am a bit leary of this pen he's going to sign it with. I've seen some of the signed Nordings, with the black signature, where large portions of the signature had been rubbed away due to use. However, for the price, this does seem like a unique opportunity.
    The cake is a lie!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

I've got to be honest and it sounds like everyone is going this anyway, but I'll throw my 2 cents in anyway. I like the smooth black dress freehand very much, but this IMO can't be a Puff Club Pipe. First off the whole point of this is for everyone to have the same pipe. I know this varies a bit because it's usually customizable, but this won't even be the same shape...because it's a freehand. Then to not be able to put Puff 2013 on it just solidifisy this for me. Basically we would all just buy a dress freehand from a store and call it our 2013 Puff pipe...seems plain out dumb to me. The argument from the guys who wants the lower end pipe is that it shouldn't be a high end pipe because the point is to have something in common, well there is nothing in common doing it this way. If Nording cant make everyone the same shape and put a stamp on it that takes a whole .02 seconds to stamp he should be out of the running. Sorry for the rant just how I feel. Just out of curiosity are these pipe actually even hand made? I read that Nording produces 50,000 pipes a year. If I read correctly I have a hard time seeing 1 man cranking out that many pipes.

*Edit. How the hell does he plan on signingna solid black dress pipe with a black marker?

Puffer Fish with many spikes Blue_2's Avatar

I'm feeling the same vibe here and tend to agree. It sounds like a great "Group Buy", but not necessarily a Pipe of the Year.

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiMikePA View Post
    *Edit. How the hell does he plan on signingna solid black dress pipe with a black marker?
    Silver sharpie, everyone needs one in their junk drawer.

Yeah, I'd agree on all fronts. A non-stamped pipe of various freehand shapes is not a club pipe. It is still a looker, I know.

I don't think any freehand from any carver had been considered before for that reason, actually.

• I've emailed Johs, but his old email address no longer works. I might have to make a phone call to Denmark.
    • Still haven't heard from Sébastien Beaud.
    • I've emailed Altinok as well.

Feel free to contact anyone you're interested in to get an estimate. Inquire about any options and pricing for them as well.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast