Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Puff 2013 Group Pipe - Open Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on Puff 2013 Group Pipe - Open Discussion Thread within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I think that dress black freehand, while outstandingly gorgeous, was not really suggested as THE pipe, just as an inspiration ...

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Re: Puff 2013 Group Pipe - Open Discussion Thread

I think that dress black freehand, while outstandingly gorgeous, was not really suggested as THE pipe, just as an inspiration of sorts. I think if we all got freehands that were variations on a theme, and made in the same style with the same briar by the same maker/his team, etc., then that COULD be a group pipe.

But I also agree that anything we get as a group MUST have the "Puff Pipe 2013" or "2013 Puff Stud", or whatever we decide, on each and every one. Otherwise, it's just a bunch of guys with similar pipes, and not a group united around this year's one pipe.

So we're nowhere near settled on a Nording, or a freehand, or anything yet. I kinda hope we go a totally different direction here, because when I do get my first Nording, my first freehand, I'm thinking it may just have to be that dress black beauty.

EDIT: And no magic markers on my pipe, silver or otherwise! If Eric cannot burn a signature AND a slogan into the wood, then he don't get my vote for a group deal.
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

Puffer Fish with many spikes Blue_2's Avatar

Anyone have any personal experience with this maker? I've heard good things but haven't owned any of his work.

Archived-Commissions

Alpha Puffer Fish drastic_quench's Avatar

Altinok is on board, if that's who we end up voting for.

It would run the same as before. We would choose the shape. Last time, and now again, there would be a whole lot of personalization options. Off the top of my head from last time: there was beeswax finish, 1/2 dozen stem colors, churchwarden stems, deluxe cases, tampers, spigots, and I know I'm missing some others. Base price would be $130 to $140. I understand base to be a meer with a black stem, regular fitted case, and it would have the PUFF 2013 carving (likely on the stem).

There are others I'm excited about too, but this is a strong contender in my book.
    Any man who checks his watch while smoking his pipe is doing it wrong.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader indigosmoke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post

It would run the same as before. We would choose the shape. Last time, and now again, there would be a whole lot of personalization options. Off the top of my head from last time: there was beeswax finish, 1/2 dozen stem colors, churchwarden stems, deluxe cases, tampers, spigots, and I know I'm missing some others. Base price would be $130 to $140. I understand base to be a meer with a black stem, regular fitted case, and it would have the PUFF 2013 carving (likely on the stem).

There are others I'm excited about too, but this is a strong contender in my book.
    A very strong contender indeed, and one that could get me in on the game. I'm still tempted by the 2011 pipe, as I've always wanted an Altinok, although the 2011 shape is not my favorite. If this choice gains momentum I'd be very interested in seeing which shape emerges as the winner.
    “The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by indigosmoke View Post
    A very strong contender indeed, and one that could get me in on the game. I'm still tempted by the 2011 pipe, as I've always wanted an Altinok, although the 2011 shape is not my favorite. If this choice gains momentum I'd be very interested in seeing which shape emerges as the winner.
    Agreed. Same reason I wasn't in on that POY.

If it's a Billiard or a Bent Dublin, I'd be all over it.

Edit: I realize the 2011 pipe was a Dublin, I guess it just wasn't my style of dublin.
    Last edited by commonsenseman; 10-26-2012 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Clarification
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

If it is meerschaum I d love to get it from Storient www.meerschaumpipe.us
    since they have made a literally an awesome pipesmagazine.com 2012 pipe and my friends are all satisfied with those great pipes for a very nice price like 119 usd including the fedex shipment ( with blue swirl and vanilla swirl color stems and a silver ring included in 119 usd ) as I had suggested to decide them as 2013 puff pipe maker ,earlier.I was lucky enough to anticipate and get one pm 2012 meer for myself too.

If it is a briar that we decide on then a nordic pipe would be good as awell as briarbird, balkovec please somebody ask them.. these guys make annual pipes for many forums and pipe clubs.
    Last edited by rogypipe; 10-26-2012 at 11:42 AM.

Puff's Resident Evil Dr. Dr. Plume's Avatar

Yes string but as much as I want a meer starting to get up there on price.
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

If a majority of people are on board with a $90 pipe, and there's no reason need to order these for four, five, or six months -- that extra $40 is very little over that time period. That's like opting not to order delivery food twice between now and May. Or 33 cents a day for four months.

If a majority of people are on board with a $90 pipe, and there's no reason need to order these for four, five, or six months -- that extra $40 is very little over that time period. That's like opting not to order delivery food twice between now and May. Or 33 cents a day for four months.
    I don't have a dog in this fight, but that would be like saying if I accrued a penny a day for my whole life I could buy a new top of the line Tinskey. The problem is, that is not the way purchases are made. In the real world you pay the bills and then see if you have enough left over to treat yourself. Some have more disposable income than others. That being said, a POY is a luxury and there is nothing wrong with those who are able treating themselves to such. After all, you only go around once, unless you believe in reincarnation.
    What a rambling mess. My comp teacher in HS would give me an F for this.
    Those that know don't tell, and those that tell don't know.

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nachman View Post
    . . . After all, you only go around once, unless you believe in reincarnation. What a rambling mess. My comp teacher in HS would give me an F for this.
    Only if he/she has been recincarnated.

You're absolutely right, Nick. And some of us perhaps were intending to use the 6 months or so to drum up the $90, and would need more time to come up with the additional $40 or $50. Just another way of looking at it. But really, the group will choose what it chooses - if I can swing it I will. If not, then I'll wait for another year.

But I for one wouldn't vote for a meer so soon after the Altinok meer done in 2011. Unless of course when I see it I cannot resist - it could happen.
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by ProbateGeek View Post
    Only if he/she has been recincarnated.

You're absolutely right, Nick. And some of us perhaps were intending to use the 6 months or so to drum up the $90, and would need more time to come up with the additional $40 or $50. Just another way of looking at it. But really, the group will choose what it chooses - if I can swing it I will. If not, then I'll wait for another year.

But I for one wouldn't vote for a meer so soon after the Altinok meer done in 2011.
    Terry has summed up my feelings in a nutshell. I won't begrudge anyone to vote or buy anything that they want to own. If you got it, spend it.

I'm getting in touch with Sébastien Beaud, carver of the Sebastien Beo line on smokingpipes. They fit the handmade, affordable criteria most members have stressed. I've read G.L. Pease recommend them as well. Very underrated right now.

I suggested SB last year and everybody said "Who? No!" I'd love to see what he could offer us, some of his designs are wonderful and the price is perfect.

As for price, count me in for the ~$150 category. Preferably lower.
    Never trust anyone over 30.

Puff's Resident Evil Dr. Dr. Plume's Avatar

I have no doubt you math is right but what you fail to calculate in your equation is your situation is different than mine. For instance in my case if I save 33 cents a day it means I don't buy tobacco for that four months... I don't have anything cellared yet so ill run out. Still trying to figure out how ill even get the ninety. Tobacco and pipes are for instance not in my budget yet. Not because I don't want them to be just too much month left at the end of the money if you know what I mean. At the risk of offending people's finiacial situations lets leave the calculations to the individual instead of offering saving advice. Thanks
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

Quote Originally Posted by Nachman View Post
    I don't have a dog in this fight, but that would be like saying if I accrued a penny a day for my whole life I could buy a new top of the line Tinskey. The problem is, that is not the way purchases are made. In the real world you pay the bills and then see if you have enough left over to treat yourself. Some have more disposable income than others. That being said, a POY is a luxury and there is nothing wrong with those who are able treating themselves to such. After all, you only go around once, unless you believe in reincarnation.
    What a rambling mess. My comp teacher in HS would give me an F for this.
    I hear you, but I disagree with the premise. There's not one of us that's eating exclusively beans and rice for the next six months in order to save money, and on day 179 adds the last cent to the jar and just barely scrapes together $90. So it's the 40 that's the extra. In a project this, the $90 is a given -- and a low one for handmade pipes. Two twenties over half a year can be scrimped easily. That's one less trip to the firing range. Two fewer pizzas. Renting a movie later instead of taking the family. Buying a handle of Beam instead of Maker's. Not sharing your coke with so many strippers. Screwing an older, uglier hooker. As you can see, these are everyday expenditures that can be scaled back just once over six months.

Not sharing your coke with so many strippers.
    But that's how you earn preferred customer status!

Also, not that it matters right now, but I'm putting a vote in for the zulu or horn shape.
    Never trust anyone over 30.

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast