Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Puff 2013 Group Pipe - Open Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on Puff 2013 Group Pipe - Open Discussion Thread within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Zulu? Did I hear somebody say Zulu?...

Re: Puff 2013 Group Pipe - Open Discussion Thread

Zulu? Did I hear somebody say Zulu?
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Brinson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
    I hear you, but I disagree with the premise. There's not one of us that's eating exclusively beans and rice for the next six months in order to save money, and on day 179 adds the last cent to the jar and just barely scrapes together $90. So it's the 40 that's the extra. In a project this, the $90 is a given -- and a low one for handmade pipes. Two twenties over half a year can be scrimped easily. That's one less trip to the firing range. Two fewer pizzas. Renting a movie later instead of taking the family. Buying a handle of Beam instead of Maker's. Not sharing your coke with so many strippers. Screwing an older, uglier hooker. As you can see, these are everyday expenditures that can be scaled back just once over six months.
    You assume everyone is going to buy the pipe, and that its just a matter of saving up the money.

That's just not the case.

If you give anyone enough time, they could save up for most expensive things-- Rolex watch, High End sports car, but the more they spend on any one thing, the less they have to spend on anything else. I could save up for Rolex, sure, I could find the money, but what do I give up for that? I give up a whole hell of alot.

Its not that we're saying, "Oh, we couldn't save up $150! How would that be possible!", what we're saying s more like, "I can't justify spending $150 on a pipe, because even if I have the money in my bank account, it wouldn't be a wise financial decision. I have other things I ether need or want more than a $150 pipe."

Alpha Puffer Fish drastic_quench's Avatar

In my experience, most people who bow out do so over the shape.

But yeah, I think there's hardly any difference between 90 and 130. I take your point, but my numbers would be farther apart. I can justify a $90 pipe, but I couldn't see spending $250 or any other number that felt huge to me for "just" a pipe. I know that for an optional luxury purchase different numbers "feel huge" for different people, but 90 and 130 are in the same bracket I can't understand a guy being cool with ninety bucks, but throwing his hands up in the air at just $40 more as if it is insurmountably higher. They're in the same ballpark.

I don't kid myself, this is a hobby that burns money. Aren't most of us sitting on valuable hoards of tobacco? So much so, that to quibble over two twenties is just odd. Hell, I'm sure I've got forty bucks worth of tobacco that I don't even like, and it's not like I've got 20lbs or anything.

All right, that's all I'll say about price. After we get a good number of carvers' bids the votes will decide what people want.
    Any man who checks his watch while smoking his pipe is doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Zulu? Did I hear somebody say Zulu?
    Like this? I could go for this.

But yeah, I think there's hardly any difference between 90 and 130. I take your point, but my numbers would be farther apart. I can justify a $90 pipe, but I couldn't see spending $250 or any other number that felt huge to me for "just" a pipe. I know that for an optional luxury purchase different numbers "feel huge" for different people, but 90 and 130 are in the same bracket I can't understand a guy being cool with ninety bucks, but throwing his hands up in the air at just $40 more as if it is insurmountably higher. They're in the same ballpark.

I don't kid myself, this is a hobby that burns money. Aren't most of us sitting on valuable hoards of tobacco? So much so, that to quibble over two twenties is just odd. Hell, I'm sure I've got forty bucks worth of tobacco that I don't even like, and it's not like I've got 20lbs or anything.

All right, that's all I'll say about price. After we get a good number of carvers' bids the votes will decide what people want.
    For that matter, we could just put this on hold for thirty years and get a Bo Nordh...
    But seriously, I'm leaning towards a lower priced pipe this year simply because we've gone 'sorta big' the last two years. I'd like to see a lower priced pipe just to encourage participation from some of the newer smokers.
    ********.com

THIS!
    Never trust anyone over 30.

Puffer Fish with many spikes Blue_2's Avatar

More of a Horn than a Zulu, but not bad!

I could go for a Zulu. I'm also in the market for a Poker/Cherrywood/Tankard.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Brinson's Avatar

I love zulus, but prefer ones with more defined lines than curves.

Name:  004-002-4528.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  49.0 KB

Puff's Resident Evil Dr. Dr. Plume's Avatar

Look up zero based budget......
    Last edited by Dr. Plume; 10-27-2012 at 02:35 AM.
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

Pale Horse

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    But seriously, I'm leaning towards a lower priced pipe this year simply because we've gone 'sorta big' the last two years. I'd like to see a lower priced pipe just to encourage participation from some of the newer smokers.
    Agreed, I would rather the pipe be on the less expensive side. In all honesty if I'm going to spend $150+ for a pipe, then it's going to be my dream pipe, not one that was democratically voted on and that I may not have purchased if it weren't the Puff 2013 pipe

Pale Horse

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Agreed, I would rather the pipe be on the less expensive side. In all honesty if I'm going to spend $150+ for a pipe, then it's going to be my dream pipe, not one that I may not have purchased if it weren't the Puff 2013 pipe.

I would prefer the price to be ~$100, I'm probably out if it's too far from that

Like this? I could go for this.
    Not a Zulu. Zulus have a cylindrical bowl or a very slight Dublin-like bell. With a slight bend or a foot this would be a Cutty, but without either this is firmly a Belge. Apologies for nitpicking

Quote Originally Posted by Brinson View Post

Very nice looking! The stem looks a little fat and rounded at the bit end, which might make it a tough clench, though.

As to price, other than my $125 Savinelli 120 Anni, I think the most expensive pipe I own is $112.50, including shipping. (A virtually unsmoked, perfectly refurbished, like-new circa 1975 FourDot.) I have a few $100-ish pipes, some that would be $100 today that were bought for $30 or $40 years and years ago, but no Cavicchis or Castellos or "worse", that would start to feel outclassed with a $150 pipe. It's less a matter of being able to afford it than of not wanting to "demote" my other pipes.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Cool Dublin shape.

Smoking makes me go Poo! Shemp75's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brinson View Post

That would be a worthy first briar. I would vote for that!!
    "Before I bed you wench, have a look at my box of Glass top Cohibas!!"

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast