Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Puff 2013 Group Pipe - Open Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on Puff 2013 Group Pipe - Open Discussion Thread within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by scl-ztt Just curious, how much was last year's pipes? Looks to be $185, in the cheapest trim....

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Re: Puff 2013 Group Pipe - Open Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by scl-ztt View Post
    Just curious, how much was last year's pipes?
    Looks to be $185, in the cheapest trim.

Captain Enormous / Dave McCarter is one member who should be looked at. I love Hektor's thread and he should be considered. Any carver can always say no if they do not have the time or desire, but they should at least be allowed to do so before being written off.
    Pipe Tobacco Lotto winner for July 2014!

Puff's Resident Evil Dr. Dr. Plume's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mturnmm View Post
    I would love to see a church warden....so I second the church warden suggestion!!
    I third the church warden but with a Rhodesian bowl.
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

Alpha Puffer Fish drastic_quench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Plume View Post
    I third the church warden but with a Rhodesian bowl.
    A churchwarden is just a stem style. We could have an option for a long stem with nearly any shape. 2011's was like that. I'm sure Johs would have been up for that option in 2010 too.

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiMikePA View Post
    I understand where you are coming from, but I believe that has a lot to do without the fact that the members chose Tinsky's 2011 Christmas pipe as the club pipe. He will make any shape we ask him to make. If he is selected my obvious suggestion would be to pick a shape other than his upcoming 2012 Christmas pipe so it is more original.
    If I remember correctly, didn't everyone just vote on a vague "bulldog" and left the finer details of shape entirely up to the carver? If that's the case, I don't blame Tinsky for sticking with a familiar shape. I'd like to see the forum get more detailed this time around. I've considered even posting sketches of potential shapes.

Another idea that struck me was having everyone carve their own meerschaum. Altinok sells these that have the same quality mortise and tenons as his other lines. You really don't need any special tools, as meer carves easily when soaked in water. Everyone could end up with a personal, yet club pipe.

Any man who checks his watch while smoking his pipe is doing it wrong.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Baron_Null's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
    A churchwarden is just a stem style. We could have an option for a long stem with nearly any shape. 2011's was like that. I'm sure Johs would have been up for that option in 2010 too.

If I remember correctly, didn't everyone just vote on a vague "bulldog" and left the finer details of shape entirely up to the carver? If that's the case, I don't blame Tinsky for sticking with a familiar shape. I'd like to see the forum get more detailed this time around. I've considered even posting sketches of potential shapes.

Another idea that struck me was having everyone carve their own meerschaum. Altinok sells these that have the same quality mortise and tenons as his other lines. You really don't need any special tools, as meer carves easily when soaked in water. Everyone could end up with a personal, yet club pipe.

If the 2013 style ends up being a churchwarden, I'll actually make a serious effort to buy one. So that's a +1 on the churchwarden.

As much as I like the idea of having one-of-a-kind personal pipes, your idea seems like a great way to get me to ruin a perfectly good block of meerschaum

I think a carve your own is a fantastic idea as I have always wanted to do it. Not to bring up old wounds but after a thread I think I decided to say away from the company you recommended. Anyway that sounds really cool and pipes and cigars has a briar carve kit for less than thirty so A lot more people could participate. You could also talk to a carver and get a stamp done and get him on board to do custom stems and maybe finishes to boot. What a neat way to have a custom pipe for 2013
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

With my budget, I might be able to swing a cob...Stupid gas prices.
    I gotta start posting more...

We could do cob wardens with forever stems.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

I think if you choose a churchwarden you will eliminated even more smokers than an expensive pipe would.

The 2012 Puff pipe started at $155 I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiMikePA View Post
    I think if you choose a churchwarden you will eliminated even more smokers than an expensive pipe would.

The 2012 Puff pipe started at $155 I believe.
    No offense but I seriously doubt it..... Why do people get the pipe of the year? Probably not because they need another pipe more likely they want the pipe of the year because its a puff thing. With that said on the 2012 pages I didn't a post that said I don't want a bulldog just that it was too expensive. It would be cool as I said above to do a carve your own and have a piper builder do custom stem work for those who want something other than standard. Or something cheaper still special cob with forever stems and why not a cob thy smoke great.
    Last edited by Dr. Plume; 10-08-2012 at 10:52 AM.

Guys, you can opt for a churchwarden stem with virtually any pipemaker we go with. That's pretty much a given. Really, it's great news for churchwarden fans in a sort of have your cake and eat it too way. Stem length should be an option not a style. That way we'll have more people on board.

The idea of a cob has been brought up in the past. I like it, but not as a pipe of the year. I want all possible assurances that my Puff Pipe will last several lifetimes, and while some cobs can take a beating, they are always more temporary than briar or meerschaum. I have a Forever Stem, and I highly recommend them, and they will last, but I'd rather pick a pipe of the year than stem of the year. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Troutman22 View Post
    Captain Enormous / Dave McCarter is one member who should be looked at. I love Hektor's thread and he should be considered. Any carver can always say no if they do not have the time or desire, but they should at least be allowed to do so before being written off.
    Hear, hear.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Baron_Null's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
    Guys, you can opt for a churchwarden stem with virtually any pipemaker we go with. That's pretty much a given. Really, it's great news for churchwarden fans in a sort of have your cake and eat it too way. Stem length should be an option not a style. That way we'll have more people on board.
    I know that stem length is an option, but part of my wanting to spend $150+ on a pipe would be the sense of solidarity with fellow puffers. I don't think it would be the same if everyone had- for example- a bent billiard with standard length stems and I had a bent billiard with a churchwarden stem. But then again, I also liked the carving our own meerschaum pipes idea, which is the conceptual opposite to my wanting to have a similar pipe to other members of the board, so my opinion should probably just be ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron_Null View Post
    I know that stem length is an option, but part of my wanting to spend $150+ on a pipe would be the sense of solidarity with fellow puffers. I don't think it would be the same if everyone had- for example- a bent billiard with standard length stems and I had a bent billiard with a churchwarden stem. But then again, I also liked the carving our own meerschaum pipes idea, which is the conceptual opposite to my wanting to have a similar pipe to other members of the board, so my opinion should probably just be ignored.
    I agree with you on the wardens and meerschaum. Maybe my opinions are moot as well?.

I know I wouldn't purchase a $120 block of meer to only ruin it carving it.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast