Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Puff 2013 Group Pipe - Open Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on Puff 2013 Group Pipe - Open Discussion Thread within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I would rather not do the Churchwarden. I think a good quality Meer is a great Idea, maybe Altinok? Here's ...

Re: Puff 2013 Group Pipe - Open Discussion Thread

I would rather not do the Churchwarden. I think a good quality Meer is a great Idea, maybe Altinok? Here's a link of what the 2011 was: Altinok Meerschaum Pipes - PUFF PIPE 2011

I think a smooth Meer would be awesome, and then we could have a thread dedicated to watching them age/color.

This idea is sounding better and better as I type it!!!

Puff's Resident Evil Dr. Dr. Plume's Avatar

If it was done in 2011 def shouldn't repeat.
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

The idea of carving your own pipe IMO is a terrible idea for a club pipe. Sounds like a good idea if a group of guys wanted to do it for fun post pics ect, but as a club pipe I don't see the appeal.

Many complain about pipe pricing, but I'd be curious to know how many bought this years pipe. Seems to me like a good number picked them up, butni have nothing to compare it to.

I don't understand the wanting to do something on the cheap. This is amonce a year purchase that you have months tom plan for. The club pipe is supposed to be something special, not some cob that a better stem is thrown on. I get not wanting to make the pipe crazy expensive, but I don't get the wanting to make it crazy cheap either.

You don't have to spend a 185 to get a great special pipe either. I am sure there is something to please all less than a hundred. Def doesn't have to be a cob but my opinion is that Club pipes should cover the whole spectrum of smoking pipes not just one or two aspects in different shapes ( probably why i like the church warden idea and there are specialty cobs like Riccardo Santia Ultimate Corn Cob Pipe (6) - Aristocob but that's just an idea. Carve your own might sound like not the best idea for everyone and maybe not the best for a club, maybe indeed better for group or people to do but I don't think it terrible.
    Last edited by Dr. Plume; 10-09-2012 at 03:11 AM.
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

I agree with Mike.

Anyone can get themselves a cheap pipe anytime with no effort.

This is a club buy, and we get MONTHS to save for it. I'm VERY frugal, and a club buy like this is the perfect excuse for me to get myself a pipe I would otherwise never buy.

Leading Puffer Fish

I could get behind a meer if we were going high end like a "Dunhill Man" carved by the Emin brothers or low end as a knock around basic shape with a smooth finish. I'm pretty particular about my meers.

I'll opt for a standard length stem vs a churchwarden length though. I bombed hard a with 2 churchwardens because I never smoked them.

As for shapes...I'm hoping to see either calabash, apple,or Dublin shapes with a good sized (about 1.6" min bowl depth) bowl.

edit (clarification): I'm not voting strictly on a meer. I'd love to see a briar. Just laying ou my meer criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by MontyTheMooch View Post
    I could get behind a meer if we were going high end like a "Dunhill Man" carved by the Emin brothers or low end as a knock around basic shape with a smooth finish. I'm pretty particular about my meers.

I'll opt for a standard length stem vs a churchwarden length though. I bombed hard a with 2 churchwardens because I never smoked them.

As for shapes...I'm hoping to see either calabash, apple,or Dublin shapes with a good sized (about 1.6" min bowl depth) bowl.

edit (clarification): I'm not voting strictly on a meer. I'd love to see a briar. Just laying ou my meer criteria.
    Definitely with you on the Dublin it's my favorite shape yet I don't own one.

Always wanted to own a Randy Wiley!

Leading Puffer Fish

Maybe Joe Skoda is up to the task? Home - Skoda Pipes

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Quote Originally Posted by MontyTheMooch View Post
    Maybe Joe Skoda is up to the task? Home - Skoda Pipes
    I'd have to sell a kidney.

Leading Puffer Fish

You only need one anyways. nothing saying Joe wouldn't be willing to do something cheaper though. Just a thought (on Joe. The kidney thing is all you)

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KickinItInSD View Post
    I would rather not do the Churchwarden. I think a good quality Meer is a great Idea, maybe Altinok? Here's a link of what the 2011 was: Altinok Meerschaum Pipes - PUFF PIPE 2011

I think a smooth Meer would be awesome, and then we could have a thread dedicated to watching them age/color.

This idea is sounding better and better as I type it!!!
    Love me some meer, and I can vouch for Altinok's pipes. Just ask shuckins, who's still probably a little teared up by the tribute pipe we Squids presented him with last Valentine's Day.

But as has been said, meerschaum was recently done here on puff - may be a while before it comes around again. But when it does, I'll be ready.
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

That's an awesome bomb!!

Yeah it is!

Alpha Puffer Fish drastic_quench's Avatar

In Altinok's favor, he really went above and beyond for us in 2011. He's the only one who created a web page for us and laid out a host of options we didn't even think to ask for. Something like seven stem colors, spigots, churchwarden stems, custom cases, super-sizing, beeswax coating, at least six different finishes - which he was willing to have further customized by request (example: I asked about getting the tobacco leaves carving sans flowers, answer: no problem). And they shipped in record time even though they came all the way from Turkey.

I'd be cool with a briar too, but that 2011 meerschaum is the best-smoking pipe I have.
    Any man who checks his watch while smoking his pipe is doing it wrong.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast