Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Puff 2013 Group Pipe - Open Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on Puff 2013 Group Pipe - Open Discussion Thread within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by drastic_quench . . . but that 2011 meerschaum is the best-smoking pipe I have. I'm already kicking ...

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Re: Puff 2013 Group Pipe - Open Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
    . . . but that 2011 meerschaum is the best-smoking pipe I have.
    I'm already kicking myself for not participating in 2011 - don't have to rub it in.

1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

Elder Puffer Fish Leader indigosmoke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ProbateGeek View Post
    I'm already kicking myself for not participating in 2011 - don't have to rub it in.

He's still got the order page on his website, so it might not be too late yet...

Altinok Meerschaum Pipes - PUFF PIPE 2011
    “The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by indigosmoke View Post
    He's still got the order page on his website, so it might not be too late yet...

Altinok Meerschaum Pipes - PUFF PIPE 2011
    Oh, trust me, John. I've seen that plenty of times on his website. But if I had ordered it back then I could have easily slipped it by the warden - things have changed at the Geek household, I tell ya... not so easy these days.
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

Puffer Fish with many spikes Hambone1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ProbateGeek View Post
    Oh, trust me, John. I've seen that plenty of times on his website. But if I had ordered it back then I could have easily slipped it by the warden - things have changed at the Geek household, I tell ya... not so easy these days.
    Get a PO Box, that's what I did. Slip stuff in the house now via work laptop bag! Shame the steps I had to resort to!
    Puffers will push you down the slippery slope of PAD/TAD! Get out while you can!

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone1 View Post
    Get a PO Box, that's what I did. Slip stuff in the house now via work laptop bag! Shame the steps I had to resort to!
    Yeah, but what to do with those damning credit card statements? Now, if I took $200 in Safeway gift cards (SCRIP for my daughters school), I wonder if they'd let me pay in those? Hmmmm, may be a good workaround...

Sorry, we're derailing the thread - back to group pipe discussions.

Puff's Resident Evil Dr. Dr. Plume's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone1 View Post
    Hope she doesn't find it.
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

guys we can go the name brand road such as a mass produced peterson's ect. But how special would it be? Not much imho. If we help out an indie pipe maker with a large order then we as a community would be doing the hobby itself a service. But business is business and we need to be given a good deal; after all it's a large order with a pipe with the same shape and just different finishes. Also it's not like we are going to order 50 pipes and demand it in 2 weeks, they would be trickled in as people get their money in order.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

I agree with Ben...I'd much rather get a handmade pipe than something mass produced.

square bear from nowhere Kevin Keith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zx7rider View Post
    I know I wouldn't purchase a $120 block of meer to only ruin it carving it.
    Ain't that the truth...this calls for a poll!

Alpha Puffer Fish drastic_quench's Avatar

I doodle pipe shapes in Paint sometimes. Here's a quasi-LOTR thing I was thinking about the other day. It's got a deep bend like an Oom Paul, but with a canted Dublin bowl. It'd be a chin hanger that's effortless to clench. Just another idea. I'm sure I'll post a few of these.

Any man who checks his watch while smoking his pipe is doing it wrong.

Comments on the suggestions so far:

1) I agree that going with an 'indie pipe maker' (nice term!) makes the pipe a lot more special than getting a Peterson or something.

2) I don't like the 'carve your own' idea at all. I mean, it's a nice idea to try, but not for a club pipe.

3) Personally, I'd like to see a lower priced pipe like the one Johs did for us the first year, just to encourage more participation.
    ********.com

Alpha Puffer Fish drastic_quench's Avatar

I'd be pleasantly surprised if anyone could under-bid Johs.
    Any man who checks his watch while smoking his pipe is doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Troutman22 View Post
    Captain Enormous / Dave McCarter is one member who should be looked at. I love Hektor's thread and he should be considered. Any carver can always say no if they do not have the time or desire, but they should at least be allowed to do so before being written off.
    ^^ This. I think that we should at least make the offer before heading "out." I also like the idea of Joh's pipes - they are consistently purty. That said, this would be one hell of an investment for me.

And I know that many people don't care for wardens, and that they don't always fit the pipe (warden freehand?). That said, what about a pipe with a regular and a warden stem? It's been done before, and I can see it as an option.
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Brinson's Avatar

I'd like to see a lower priced pipe. Over $150 when we're buying in bulk like this just seems like too much to me. We should have serious buying power and I really think we should be able to slide in under $100 on a club pipe.

Puff's Resident Evil Dr. Dr. Plume's Avatar

Agreed
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast