Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Puff 2013 Group Pipe - Open Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on Puff 2013 Group Pipe - Open Discussion Thread within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Now that's a good thought Chase....

Removed per request

Re: Puff 2013 Group Pipe - Open Discussion Thread

Now that's a good thought Chase.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

As for pricing goes, I understand that we all want to support the hobby but... There is a saying that says " we want to be saints, not necessarily martyrs"

We lost the price war last year, which is why I didn't get the 2012 pipe. I think most of the people voting to buy the 2013 pipe will be able to afford more than I'm willing to pay again this year, so I definitely am not counting on a $100 pipe. One of the common personality traits of people with plenty of money is that they have little appreciation for what it means to not have enough. I don't have a single pipe that costs as much as last year's pipe and wasn't going to make the rest of my old friends feel self-conscious.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Jim,

Makes a very valid point...why doesn't everyone post the very most they would be willing to spend on a pipe. That way we can figure out what the MAJORITY of people want to spend. Most of my pipes are Tinsky, which is why I was fine with spending the $165 last year, but I totally get why others wouldn't or couldn't. My vote from the start has been a handmade non mass produced pipe, but I am def fine with trying to get someone on the lower end if that's possible. Would love to be able to get this done for $100, but I'd say my MAX is around last years pipe $165-175.

Also, I'd like to add that the it appears as though the higher end guys won out last year, not sure how this went down because I became a member after all the deciding was done. I personally think maybe it's a good idea to flip from year to year. On the even years do a higher end pipe on the odd years do a more affordable pipe. That way you may not decide to buy the pipe each year, but at least every other year it's closer to what you like. I know a big part of this hobby for me is collecting the pipes and I tend to like a little bit higher end stuff, but I get that this isn't the case for everyone for whatever reason.

Doing this would also eliminate the pricing question every year. So say on the odd years the pipe must be between $50-$100 and on even year it must be between $150-$200 or whatever this is just an example.

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiMikePA View Post
    I personally think maybe it's a good idea to flip from year to year. On the even years do a higher end pipe on the odd years do a more affordable pipe.
    A very good idea in my book!
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Thanks Jim. As stated before I tend to like a higher end pipe, but it isn't fair to the people who dont to not get what they want either. We can even start a thread with rules for each year so people aren't guessing each year what route the pipe will take. Sicky it and have some thing like this...

Odd Years:
    $50-$100
    Can be mass produced
    Briar or Meer
    Whatever...

Even Years:
    $150-$200
    Must be handmade
    Briar
    Whatever...

Again these are just thoughts to make this process a bit easier from year to year and also help that everyone gets a shot at something closer to what they like at least every other year. Because there is no way you can satisfy everyone every year.

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Quote Originally Posted by Brinson View Post
    I'd like to see a lower priced pipe. Over $150 when we're buying in bulk like this just seems like too much to me. We should have serious buying power and I really think we should be able to slide in under $100 on a club pipe.
    Agreed... Again.

Do we have serious buying power? Just out of curiosity do we have any idea how many bought the pipes in the past.

As far as saying $150 is too much because of quantity just isn't a valid statement. If you buy 10 Aston Martins you are going to get a better deal I'm sure, but that doesn't me you are going to get them at the price of a Ford Focus. I know that's a ridicules example, but if you are buying a $200 pipe and getting it for $150, which is 25% off that seems pretty good to me.

I love Tinsky's pipes and I think he's a great guy, butnif we do indeed have buying power the $10 off he gave us last wasn't great I will agree with that. With that being said we have no idea how many people bought from him and he had no commitment so I don't blame him for the small discount. Maybe if each person put down a deposit so the maker could get an idea of numbers we'd get a bigger discount.
    Last edited by MiamiMikePA; 10-18-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Puffer Fish with some spikes

I would reckon our buying power is probably doubled at $75-$100 as opposed to $150-$200. I understand the drive for the club pipe to be something special... I, however, had kind of figured that it would be something we have in common, and as such something most of us feel ok spending the money on.

I Completely understand where you are coming from and I agree to an extent, which is why I'm suggesting this alternate year idea. I'm trying to not be bias as well and I don't think I am considering I'm a higher end pipe guy and this based on I'm proposing would be a lower end year. I just think if we really want a deal we will have to get a realistic number and be willing, once all the details are sorted out, to put down a non refundable deposit to whoever is making the pipe. If I was a pipe maker giving a discount based on buying numbers I'd want a firm number before I gave the discount.

Living on a fixed income, even $50+ is stretching my limit pretty thin. I love the idea of flipping. I'm not going to be offended at all with what people pick, because it still lies with me to decide if I care to spend that much or not.

Alpha Puffer Fish drastic_quench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiMikePA View Post
    Do we have serious buying power? Just out of curiosity do we have any idea how many bought the pipes in the past.
    Serious buying power? Not really. I thought we would too when we started this, but all in all, we haven't received steep discounts. Johs' was less than what you'd pay for a comparable Johs on smokingpipes. Altinok's was probably the steepest discount, as our pipe would've likely cost $189 - $200 as a non-group pipe.

How many do we buy on average? Right around 30. Give or take seven or so, I think.

On cost, yes last year there was a choice between moderate and expensive, but more importantly it was a choice between a handmade Tinsky and a regular old Peterson + a stamp. I was out last year, but that's not a difficult choice for most to make. Now, a moderately priced handmade Johs vs an expensive handmade Tinsky -- that's a debate! I'm wondering if the first poll shouldn't be handmade vs mass produced. Handmade can still be had at or just under $100, though -- so it's really no contest in my view. I don't know why anyone would want to opt for a factory shape, when most makers are willing to make ANYTHING for us. I mean, we could get stuff you've never seen! Just some ideas and possible shape combos that come to mind:

• a barrel-shaped bowl that's anything other than straight - canted, or deep bend like an Oom Paul, you never see that
    • any bowl shape in an Oom Paul that's not a billiard while we're at it
    • a straight-shanked volcano
    • oval or diamond (bulldog) shank on bowl that doesn't commonly get one, like a diamond shanked-billiard or an octagon-shanked egg
    • a chubby/stout shape like the very small handful G.L. Pease has been designing as of late

Anyhow, I'll PM Hektor and see if he'll give us any input or display interest in a bid. If you know other carvers on the forum, do the same. Send them the link to this thread. Failing that, Johs and Altinok have proven themselves reliable and open to the kind of customization a PotY should have.
    Any man who checks his watch while smoking his pipe is doing it wrong.

Great info d_q! I agree with you, we don't have to go super high end, but I'd like to keep it handmade. Idk if we can get a handmade for what the guys wanting a bit lower end really want, which was the reason for my alternating year suggestion. Idk if a poll asking for handmade vs. mass produced is a good poll just because what will more than likely happen would be the guys wanting cheaper will vote mass while high end guys will vote handmade. If this is the route we go the best bet would prob to be a cost poll with options being something more like $50-$100, $100-$150, & $150-$200 or something like than.

Just out of curiosity is there 1 person who is usually in charge or takes the lead in getting the club pipe made and if so who is it? I'm thinking it may be you d_q since you started this thread, but I don't like to assume. Also, I don't want to be stepping on toes, just trying to help out with suggestions.

Alpha Puffer Fish drastic_quench's Avatar

It's informal. I wasn't up for it last year, but I'm happy to do it this year. It's not a big deal. Mostly I just create polls and try to keep the polls worded as fairly as possible. You guys supply me with the options for the polls.

Now, back on 9/25/2011, I posted this, but nothing came of it. I'm thinking it would be a good way to operate -- have the markers under consideration give us a general bid, then choose a shape and maker. If you're one of the guys who wants to keep costs down, this is one of the few ways to help make that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
    What if we have the potential carvers submit bids for our order?

We've got the years and numbers to prove we're following through with this thing. Ask them what their bid would be, as far as dollar amount per pipe and options, for approximately 30-ish pipes. Tell them we're looking to spend $80 to $120 bucks per pipe and we're taking multiple bids under consideration. The competition for our business should drive the price down, and we can really capitalize on the idea of group buying power.

Then we vote on their proposals. We could either decide the shape first or the carver.

It seems like the best tactic to drive the price down. And we wouldn't even have to choose the cheapest bid, if there was a better offer just a bit higher.
    Any man who checks his watch while smoking his pipe is doing it wrong.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast