Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Puff 2013 Group Pipe - Open Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on Puff 2013 Group Pipe - Open Discussion Thread within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by drastic_quench On cost, yes last year there was a choice between moderate and expensive, but more importantly ...

Re: Puff 2013 Group Pipe - Open Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
    On cost, yes last year there was a choice between moderate and expensive, but more importantly it was a choice between a handmade Tinsky and a regular old Peterson + a stamp.
    I think there were the Luciano and a few others in the moderate price range to choose from on the poll. I would have preferred the Luciano or one of the others, but not the Peterson, not because of price, but because I'm not a fan of Peterson pipes. (I even thought the Luciano was prettier, but that's merely subjective.)
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

I hear you d_q and I'd like to offer myself up to help in anything if it's needed. I'm not one that is set on keeping cost down. To be completely honest I'll buy the pipe purely on if I like it or not no matter if it costs $50 or $300. I'd like for everybody to get what they want at some point. Just seems like the high end guys, myself included, got what they wanted last year and the guys who maybe don't have that to spend on a pipe got left in the dust. Now I may be way off cause I wasn't around when it all was decided last year. Just seems to me like the cost issue is the major issue. My goal is to get past that as quickly as possible because it's not a fun issue for anyone. So we can move on to the fun stuff like picking the carver, shape, finish, etc...

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

I'm liking this flip idea - even simpler would be odd years under $100, even years over $100. Each year discussion then might be how much under/over the group wants to go that year. Unless those of you who've been doing this a while have a different cut off point in mind.
    Last edited by ProbateGeek; 10-18-2012 at 01:13 PM.
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

I'd be ok with this as well. The $50-$100 range was just to keep the idea of a cob coming up...I'm sorry, but that seems ridicules to me for a club pipe. Also, the reason I put $150-$200 was so the high end guys get a true high end pipe. If you put just $100+ for the high end year you are still playing around with that mid ranger, which I bet will be an issue on the even years. You will have guys on the low end trying to keep the pipe at $100, which won't satisfy the high end guys.

Quote Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
    Serious buying power? Not really. I thought we would too when we started this, but all in all, we haven't received steep discounts. Johs' was less than what you'd pay for a comparable Johs on smokingpipes. Altinok's was probably the steepest discount, as our pipe would've likely cost $189 - $200 as a non-group pipe.

How many do we buy on average? Right around 30. Give or take seven or so, I think.

On cost, yes last year there was a choice between moderate and expensive, but more importantly it was a choice between a handmade Tinsky and a regular old Peterson + a stamp. I was out last year, but that's not a difficult choice for most to make. Now, a moderately priced handmade Johs vs an expensive handmade Tinsky -- that's a debate! I'm wondering if the first poll shouldn't be handmade vs mass produced. Handmade can still be had at or just under $100, though -- so it's really no contest in my view. I don't know why anyone would want to opt for a factory shape, when most makers are willing to make ANYTHING for us. I mean, we could get stuff you've never seen! Just some ideas and possible shape combos that come to mind:

• a barrel-shaped bowl that's anything other than straight - canted, or deep bend like an Oom Paul, you never see that
    • any bowl shape in an Oom Paul that's not a billiard while we're at it
    • a straight-shanked volcano
    • oval or diamond (bulldog) shank on bowl that doesn't commonly get one, like a diamond shanked-billiard or an octagon-shanked egg
    • a chubby/stout shape like the very small handful G.L. Pease has been designing as of late

Anyhow, I'll PM Hektor and see if he'll give us any input or display interest in a bid. If you know other carvers on the forum, do the same. Send them the link to this thread. Failing that, Johs and Altinok have proven themselves reliable and open to the kind of customization a PotY should have.
    the question I want to ask is this: do we really negotiate price? 10 dollars off is seems like nothing to me. I mean what is the price carvers give to smoking pipes or Pipesandcigars? 30~37 pipes is a significant order for an indie pipe maker IMHO, we should be getting more significant discounts. I understand that we might not get the same price as Pipesandcigars or smoking pipes but its hard to imagine that their profit margin is $10 a pipe.

Alpha Puffer Fish drastic_quench's Avatar

Indeed. Which is why we need to ask the potential carvers to put in bids for our business. It is one thing to go to them, and say, we voted on it, we want this shape, will you please make 30 for us, sir? And another to politely say, you are in consideration for a group order of one shape (to be decided) and we would like to hear your estimated price per pipe costs as well as any options you can offer with regards to finish/stems/stains, etc. Give them a link to the thread. They can see what estimates other carvers have provided, and that may or may not influence their bid.

On that note, HWeibe has bowed out. Essentially, he prefers to make one-off artworks, which I entirely understand.

Anyone is free to ask any carver or company for an estimate. All I ask is that you provide a link to the thread, ask them respectfully, and then share your findings with us here.
    Any man who checks his watch while smoking his pipe is doing it wrong.

Puffer Fish with some spikes

I just sent an email to Erik Nording... He makes a hell of a nice pipe, and his prices generally average in the $100 range... Website is Ny side 1. It does not have a lot of information, but all of his pipes are hand carved. I feel like it's a good, quality pipe, that looks awfully nice, made by a more boutique pipe maker who does most if not everything by hand... Could work out for everyone. I'll reply with my findings.

Bill

Edit: I don't suggest to mean that everything is hand carved in a traditional sense. It's not one dude sitting on his back stump with a knife and a block of briar... But they're not manufactured in the sense that a Peterson is, I don't believe.
    Last edited by TheRooster; 10-18-2012 at 03:07 PM.

Alpha Puffer Fish drastic_quench's Avatar

Awesome. Thanks for that.
    Any man who checks his watch while smoking his pipe is doing it wrong.

Puff's Resident Evil Dr. Dr. Plume's Avatar

Cob was mostly to illustrate a point. I like the flip. The point is what is the point of a club pipe? To be something nice maybe or to be something we all have in common. If you got the money to drop on a 300 pipe you don't need the pipe of the year to do that. That said I like to please all so I think flip is a great idea. I like Dublin shape.
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

Quote Originally Posted by TheRooster View Post
    I just sent an email to Erik Nording...
    This got me poking around (instead of working...). This is a beautiful Nording dress freehand in the $90 range that I cannot stop staring at:

Nice story on the website, too. So thanks, Bill.
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

That pipe is insane; I love it!
    ********.com

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Yeah, I mean, some of the freehand signature models dip down into the $75 range, retail... And yet they're all absolutely beautiful... I already own 1 nording and can attest to the fact that they smoke great. The only real question is whether we can only do a freehand in that general price range, or if with a group buy, we could get one of his more traditional shapes down to a pricerange we could all be comfortable with. Either way, I'm going to try and hash it all out with Mr. Nording via email, and I'll report back here with my findings... Here's hoping.

Bill

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

+1

It is beautiful! Maybe that's not the right word... it is elegant.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    That pipe is insane; I love it!
    And just like that - SNAP!

Someone has bought if off the website. . .

Here's her sister, though:

Quote Originally Posted by ProbateGeek View Post
    This got me poking around (instead of working...). This is a beautiful Nording dress freehand in the $90 range that I cannot stop staring at:

Nice story on the website, too. So thanks, Bill.
    HOLY MOLY!!!!!

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast