Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Morta

This is a discussion on Morta within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; So, I decided to treat myself to an Askwith Morta for Christmas/my birthday. Chris emailed me yesterday and said he'd ...

Morta

So, I decided to treat myself to an Askwith Morta for Christmas/my birthday. Chris emailed me yesterday and said he'd chosen the block and would be drilling today. This is going to be my first (and probably only!) Morta, and I thought I'd see if anyone on the boards had any experience with the material.

Anyone out there got a morta pipe? What do you think? Any care and feeding advice?

Full grown Puffer Fish Thirston's Avatar

Re: Morta

I have a Mario Grandi morta (obviously a lower caliber pipe) and as they say it
    smokes latakia blends extremely well. I started smoking the pipe with viriginia’s, as is
    my practice, and was not impressed. Other than that, it stays extremely cool, is very
    light weight, and really brings out great flavor in smokey blends, despite
    not even being high quality morta (very light in color.)

Puffer Fish with many spikes WWhermit's Avatar

I was at the West Coast Pipe Show this weekend in Las Vegas. I was considering a Morta pipe by Paolo Becker. Very nice pipe.

I asked the gentleman selling the pipe about his experiences with morta. He told me because the morta, or bog oak, is very hard, it has little, very little room for expansion. Therefore, be very very careful with getting the pipe too hot. He has seen a couple instances where the morta pipe cracked under the heat. This can occur most often while breaking in the pipe, so do this even more slowly and carefully than you would with a briar pipe.

Since I smoke mostly virginias, and since virginias are most prone to smoking hot, I chose not to buy a morta, but got a Castello briar pipe instead.

WWhermit
    A person starts to live when he can live outside himself. -Albert Einstein
    My humble cellar.

That's awesome, Landis! Chris Askwith makes some beautiful pipes.

Sorry, i'm no help. I don't know much of anything about mortas, except that I know I want to see pics of yours when it's done

I love my morta! It plays very well with darker VAs, smokes very clean, plus it just looks so cool!

You'll be happy with your purchase!
    Never trust anyone over 30.

Sweet! Thanks for the advice everyone. I had heard these do well with darker tobacco flavors such as Lats, but I've also read from Trevor Talbert that he enjoys Bracken Flake and SG Black XX in his, so that's right up my alley. I smoke lots of heavy dark baccy ala G&H rope, dark flake, dark birdseye, Bracken, 1792 etc. My plan is to keep this pipe open to new experiences rather than to dedicate it. I'm thinking these dark tobaccos, and things like Jack Knife will do well in it!

Chris is great to work with, and I've already got a strawberry-wood #55 bent pot clone from him that smokes VA's like a champ.

I do appreciate the input on breakin advice. I'm a slow cool smoker, ESPECIALLY on break-in so I don't see that being a problem.

Since I'm sure inquiring minds are interested, I've asked Chris for this shape, but with an amber stem. He said he likes making this shape a lot, so I hope he has fun with it....

Askwith Sandblastd Morta Squat Rhodesian Pipes at Smoking Pipes .com

Here she is all finished! I am absolutely ecstatic with the way this turned out. The contrast of the yellow stem and the jet black morta is loud and brash, but that's exactly what I wanted. The stem is pretty translucent, so you can see the black delrin tenon, and the airway should be able to be seen when the pipe is in hand. I'm so stoked!

Should ship out this Friday, but shipping can be a bit slow from Plymouth. Will let you all know what I think when I get a couple of smokes under her belt....
    Morta-img_9254.jpg Morta-img_9255.jpgMorta-img_9256.jpgMorta-img_9257.jpgMorta-img_9258.jpgMorta-img_9259.jpg

And BTW, Chris Askwith's website just updated, with some stunning pipes in the store today. Really cool nosewarmer stack!

That's a beauty! Was the process difficult? I've never contacted a carver like that before, but apparently with some of them, that seems to be best way to get a pipe.
    ********.com

Yer gonna love it, Landis. They smoke very well and feel great in the hand... Enjoy!
    Never trust anyone over 30.

That pipe is too much, Landis, just too much. I can envision an eccentric mystery novel detective smoking one of those. (And he'd have to have one of those leather pouches like the inspector had in Dial M for Murder, filled with coins of rope that he slices off each day while he thinks about the case.) What a pipe!
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    That's a beauty! Was the process difficult? I've never contacted a carver like that before, but apparently with some of them, that seems to be best way to get a pipe.

Thanks guys!

Mark, it's really as simple as an email. The two pipes I've gotten from Chris, I simply looked around at his shapes and materials and told him what I wanted via links to websites that had hosted pics of his pipes. On the first one, I had him scale down his Castello 55 pot to a smaller bowl dimension, and it worked out wonderfully in strawberry wood. Chris is a great guy to work with, and he keeps you updated on the progress of your pipe as it goes along. With this pipe, I knew the shape and that I wanted a morta, and Chris was kind enough to send along pics of mortas with the various stem colors I was interested in, to get a feel of how they looked juxtaposed against the black wood.

I've had pipes made by a few carvers now, and most of them are very approachable and willing to take commissions. I'd bet that's a good portion of Chris' business, but that statment is purely conjecture. It is certainly a fun journey to take. Sadly, this has to be the last for quite a while. My funds are dry, and my rack is full! But my collection feels complete now with a morta.

Jim, I think the first smoke is either gonna be brown bogie, or SG Black XX rope oddly enough! Gonna try lots of heavy, dark, non Lat blends before making the plunge to english with it. I probably won't dedicate this pipe to a blend, and just keep it for misc dark stuff. At least that's the plan for now.

Holy crap, that's gorgeous!

Quote Originally Posted by FiveStar View Post
    Jim, I think the first smoke is either gonna be brown bogie, or SG Black XX rope oddly enough!
    Cool! I guess it's the color -- just seems to go with Black XX. Looks like Royal Yacht would fit in there nicely, too.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast