Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Crossing over... from Cigars.

This is a discussion on Crossing over... from Cigars. within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Double post...

It's a cliff not a slope! jheiliger's Avatar

Re: Crossing over... from Cigars.

Double post
    I live such a great life... A beautiful family, a job I love, and a few good smokes to keep my head on straight.

Disillusioned Freethinker AStateJB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jheiliger View Post
    Thanks Josh! Are there certain lat blends you would recommend?
    Frog Morton
    Frog Morton Across the Pond
    Peter Stokkebye Proper English
    McClelland Blue Mountain
    Balkan Sasieni
    Samuel Gawith Commonwealth
    Esoterica Penzance

Can you tell I love latakia? In my opinion you can't go wrong with any of those, but the bold are my favorites.
    Hangin' out with Friends

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoB View Post
    Pipe tobacco has much greater nuance and variety of flavors/aromas than cigars (in my humble opinion). Once I found the blends that suit my tastes (i.e. english/balkan blends) and got down my techinique of packing/lighting/smoking properly, cigars became little more than the occasional change of pace. Much of it also has to do with the ritual of pipe smoking. You have to pick your blend, then the pipe, portion it out, work your fingers through it, pack, etc. Not to mention the pipes, of course! The same blend will be different in different pipes, and sometimes a particular pipe/blend will compliment eachother in an almost magical way, resulting in some pretty awesome smokes. The cigar you enjoy eventually is gone. The pipes become cherished friends that last a lifetime if properly cared for. That's not to say it's better (eh, screw that - it's better than cigars), but it is a whole different world. It may not be for you, but if you take to it I suspect you'll find yourself reaching less and less for your stogies.
    This is a fantastic post... Thank you!
    I live such a great life... A beautiful family, a job I love, and a few good smokes to keep my head on straight.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoB View Post
    Pipe tobacco has much greater nuance and variety of flavors/aromas than cigars (in my humble opinion). Once I found the blends that suit my tastes (i.e. english/balkan blends) and got down my techinique of packing/lighting/smoking properly, cigars became little more than the occasional change of pace. Much of it also has to do with the ritual of pipe smoking. You have to pick your blend, then the pipe, portion it out, work your fingers through it, pack, etc. Not to mention the pipes, of course! The same blend will be different in different pipes, and sometimes a particular pipe/blend will compliment eachother in an almost magical way, resulting in some pretty awesome smokes. The cigar you enjoy eventually is gone. The pipes become cherished friends that last a lifetime if properly cared for. That's not to say it's better (eh, screw that - it's better than cigars), but it is a whole different world. It may not be for you, but if you take to it I suspect you'll find yourself reaching less and less for your stogies.
    Again, this. I was an occasional cigar smoker and I had never touched a pipe. Wow, talk about a slippery slope. My first pipe was a cheapo Chinese wooden pipe. Bought it with a pouch of Half and Half and it was all downhill from there. Hearth and Home has appealed to my tastes and my wallet. For the price of cheapo aromatics you can have a good quality smoke. But yeah, Dunhill blends like RY (only one I've tried) and the H&H blends. Stogie from them is a good one. Not really like a cigar but a good blend on it's own. Plus their 20% off this month means an 8 oz tin for 12 bucks. Can't beat that with a stick.

I also enjoy cigars, usually on the weekend and also on the medium - full side.

The pipe tobacco that most satisfies my cigar side is Fillmore. But I don't mean to imply it is a blend that is cigar-like.
    If that makes sense

Full grown Puffer Fish Couch_Incident's Avatar

A few months ago, I started on Dunhill 965. I then scored a couple tins of SG Full Virginia. It's gone down hill from there.

I've found I enjoy English blends and Virginia blends. I have at least 3 pounds of tobacco now.

Oh, and 965 is still my go to smoke.

Couch

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

Thanks Mark! What Virginia blends are your favorites??
    All time favorite is Hamborger Veermaster. Suposedly it is very much like what sailors smoked a couple hundred years ago. If so, who cares if they were scratching the fleas in their beards, and slowly dieing of syphilis, they had it good!

Full Virginia Flake is really good too. Any quality VA, especially with a few years of age, is gonna be awsome. VA's are like good cigars... if they taste good to start with, age just makes 'em better.

I'll back up ChronoB's recommendation of English/Balkans; I'd hold off on trying straight Virginias. For one thing, coming from cigars, you're liable to fry your tongue out of your head if you smoke Virginias at first. For another, maybe it's just me, because they don't taste at all the same, but there's something similar to me in the flavor profile of Orientals (found in Balkans) and maduro wrappers.

One thing I'll throw in as a caution: don't try to compare cigars and pipes, and don't try to find the flavors you find in one in the other. In addition, here's a certain feel to cigar smoke that, frankly, a pipe just can't duplicate. And as far as I'm concerned, your "leather" tastes more leathery than our "leather"...
    ********.com

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    One thing I'll throw in as a caution: don't try to compare cigars and pipes, and don't try to find the flavors you find in one in the other.
    I am beginning to gravitate toward recommending "easy", as opposed to "similar", for cigar smokers finding their way into the pipe game. Perhaps it's the orientals, perhaps the smoked oriental Latakia, maybe the sweet Virginias, but English ribbons are not always easy to handle in a pipe. I'd suggest trying some Prince Albert or Carter Hall, with perhaps a bit of Irish Flake or rope/twist mixed in to provide some umbladee to the proceedings. As your technique improves, moving up to straight Irish Flake would provide a more cigar-like Vitamin N boost.

Royal Yacht, with its burley content, burns a little cooler and drier than most English blends and has an adequate nicotine component, so I'll second that for sure. I'd also throw in some Kendal's Kentucky as a good try for a cigar smoker.
    Last edited by freestoke; 12-19-2012 at 08:59 AM.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Joe - I came from cigars myself.

I know you've gotten a bazillion recommendations already, but I'll throw mine in too:

There's a learning curve to smoking a pipe, much steeper than cigars. I recommend starting with a pouch of Prince Albert. As a smoker of full bodied cigars, PA is going to taste very mild to you....maybe even bland. The point here isn't that PA is the end-all-be-all flavorwise, but that it is one of the newbie friendliest and easiest to smoke pipe tobaccos out there. Easy to pack, easy to light, easy to keep lit, easy to smoke.

Next, something you're more likely to really enjoy:

Dunhill Royal Yacht - a little sweet

Cornell & Diehl Billy Budd - rich and earthy, heavy latakia with a little cigar leaf blended in. This is one of the best "transitional" tobaccos out there for cigar smokers looking into pipes. I've kinda moved beyond this one (I find it a little boring now), but Billy Budd was truly a watershed tobacco for me, the one that really pushed me into pipes.

GL Pease Jackknife Ready Rubbed is one you might enjoy as well. This tobacco also comes as a plug (which would not be particularly newbie friendly), so pay attention when ordering that you get 'ready rub' and not 'plug.'

Of course, be sure to order the Tobacco of the Month, and review it along with everyone else! Tobacco of the Month Poll (January 2013)

And there's always the Newbie Sampler Trade!

WOW! I just want to say thank you to each of you for your contributions here. It means a lot to me to find so many helpful BOTL on this side of the fence... Your recommendations are super helpful!

A list of tobacco:

GL Pease: Meridian, Westminster, Charing Cross, Fillmore, Jackknife (Ready Rubbed)
    Cornell and Diehl: Rajah's Court, Billy Budd,
    McClelland: Oriental No. 14, 3 Oaks Series, Frog Morton, FM Across the Pond, Blue Mountain
    Dunhill: Royan Yacht, Nightcap, Standard Mixture Medium, London Mixture, 965
    Hearth & Home: Ambassador blend, Armada blend, Day Break
    Gawith, Hoggarth, and Co: Bob's Chocolate Flake, Kendal's Kentucky
    Peter Stokkebye: Proper English
    Balkan Sasieni
    Samuel Gawith: Commonwealth, Full Virginia Flake
    Esoterica: Penzance
    Dan: Hamborger Veermaster
    Prince Albert

I have ordered some Dunhill Royal Yacht and some London Mixture. I will go pick up some Prince Albert today, and take a trip to my local B&M to see if I can find any of these local in bulk.

Did I forget anything?

Oh... Here's my old pipe! The only mark on it says "italy" on the bottom.

I also have a Cob (MM) that has never been smoked.

The sickness begins. Level II TAD. The prognosis is not good. Can PAD be far behind?

Puff's Resident Evil Dr. Dr. Plume's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    The sickness begins. Level II TAD. The prognosis is not good. Can PAD be far behind?
    The doc says no! It's rapidly approaching.
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Plume View Post
    The doc says no! It's rapidly approaching.
    You two... are not funny! Although... I have a slight twitch in my upper lip.

You two... are not funny!
    Okay, Dr. DeathPlume, cut it out.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast