Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Crossing over... from Cigars.

This is a discussion on Crossing over... from Cigars. within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by ProbateGeek Forty-three posts above me, and none, NOT ONE, mentioning 1792 Flake!?! Egads - y'all trying to ...

It's a cliff not a slope! jheiliger's Avatar

Re: Crossing over... from Cigars.

Quote Originally Posted by ProbateGeek View Post
    Forty-three posts above me, and none, NOT ONE, mentioning 1792 Flake!?! Egads - y'all trying to shelter the boy?

Joe, you're in very good hands here and the recommendations you've received are spot on. This time last year I was still a minimum one, but usually two or more, cigars per day smoker, favoring fuller flavored/fuller strength cigars. After many months of trying various pipe tobaccos and pipes, I finally got it. While I still FEEL like a cigar smoker, I'm afraid I am now usually disappointed with almost every cigar I start (excluding Tatuaje Cojonus and AF Anejos!). Oh, they still start out nice enough, but about 1/3 of the way in I find myself wishing I had one of my pipes and a bowl or two of my go-to tobaccos. I may have purchased my last box of cigars this Christmas, and my 120-quart coolidor is getting emptier by the week.

So, be warned - while I am thrilled to now be a dedicated pipe smoker (1792 Flake, Royal Yacht, Irish Flake, Kendal Kentucky are my current favorites), starting to say goodbye to the cigars is something I could NEVER have seen coming.

One added plus: as we would readily admit, the banter on the pipe side of puff is far more intelligent and enlightening.

Got a pound of the 1792 Flake coming in next week - hope your addy is posted!

BTW - where "outside Houston"? I'm an old Deer Park boy...
    Hey Terry!

I have a BUNCH of really nice cigars! And am excited about learning from the pipe guys here... I'm not at a point yet (obviously) where I'm gonna run out and sell my cigar stash, but I am really excited about what I'm experiencing with the pipe.

I live in Katy in West Houston... been here about 15yrs. I grew up in the inner city in North Side in Lindale Park (Jeff Davis HS). I moved to Katy after my wife and I graduated from college.

Haven't heard anyone talk about the 1792 Flake yet. What's it like?

Thanks for the offer to send some to try! I'll give it a go, and thank you for your generosity...

Joe
    I live such a great life... A beautiful family, a job I love, and a few good smokes to keep my head on straight.

Puff's Resident Evil Dr. Dr. Plume's Avatar

What it's like....... Imagine Santa dropped a lump of coal in your pipe.... And you proceeded to smoke it....... Jk..... Rather strong va with a special topping.
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

A far more accurate opinion of 1792 Flake (from Brian aka DesertLifter):

"It's a bit glorious. More than a bit stout. Not for everyone, but rewards its acolytes well."

For some colorful descriptions of the experience, I suggest you visit Samuel Gawith - 1792 Flake pipe tobacco reviews - a very good read, those.
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

A far more accurate opinion of 1792 Flake (from Brian aka DesertLifter):

"It's a bit glorious. More than a bit stout. Not for everyone, but rewards its acolytes well."

For some colorful descriptions of the experience, I suggest you visit Samuel Gawith - 1792 Flake pipe tobacco reviews - a very good read, those.
    Aw shucks sir, you flatter me!

I like this one from tobacco reviews:

"Smells like coalminers' armpits and tastes even better." (four stars)
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

Maturing Puffer Fish trenschler's Avatar

Forty-three posts above me, and none, NOT ONE, mentioning 1792 Flake!?!
    Yeah, what took you so long Terry?

Disillusioned Freethinker AStateJB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Desertlifter View Post
    Aw shucks sir, you flatter me!

I like this one from tobacco reviews:

"Smells like coalminers' armpits and tastes even better." (four stars)
    If I hadn't just smacked you with RG you'd get RG for that! Somebody help me out, please.
    Hangin' out with Friends

Forty-three posts above me, and none, NOT ONE, mentioning 1792 Flake!?!
    I'm surprised you brought it up, Terry, since you don't mention having (or EVER having had) any 1792, not even of any kind, on your tobaccocellar page. Never having smoked it yourself, I'm a bit confused by your apparent enthusiasm for this tobacco. I don't recall you ever saying anything about it before.

Putting the FourDot pot to work again filled with Carter Hall. I feel a little wimpy, nicotine-wise tonight -- but that may change shortly. This bowl is almost over.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by JeffNYC View Post
    Only one that I'm not sure about yet is McClelland Blackwoods (seems to bite a lot, smells like sweet ketchup)...
    Yeah, McClelland Virginias can be a bit rough when they're young. If you can find a tin five or six years old, though, it's pure nirvana!
    ********.com

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Yeah, McClelland Virginias can be a bit rough when they're young. If you can find a tin five or six years old, though, it's pure nirvana!
    Which reminds me I am going to smoke that sample you gave me as a celebration smoke for my new meer.
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Perhaps that's the problem with mine - it's only about a year old. I can't smoke it, as it bites something fierce. Love the ketchupy-BBQey smell of the flakes, though.
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

I really like young mcCelland vas I smoke them very gingerly but I think they are sharper and tangier than their aged counterparts. And I still don't get a ketchup smell. Only raisins. Puzzling.

Quote Originally Posted by AStateJB View Post
    Welcome, Joe! I'm a dual sloper as well. I recommend latakia and lots of it! Lat blends were by far my favorite when I started on pipe and are still my preference, though I have begun enjoying other styles more. For me straight/heavy Virginia blends took some getting used to and VAPers took even more. Not that they aren't good, they just took some adjustment.
    I started off the same way Josh, but have actually gone more towards Va and VaPers now. Latakia is still preferred, but aged Va/VaPer is the way to go. Just like with cigars, purchase some to smoke now and some to age. It's just easier to age baccy, and a lot less work. Enjoy the slope, just be careful as it is a bit steeper over here
    Editing and deleting are two different things. You edit a whole by deleting a part; you cannot edit a part by deleting it. Webster can clear this up for you.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

try virginia woods it's very good and doesn't bite. i have a tin thats about two years old and its great

It's a cliff not a slope! jheiliger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lostdog13 View Post
    Enjoy the slope, just be careful as it is a bit steeper over here
    Is this possible?? Now I'm scared... =)
    I live such a great life... A beautiful family, a job I love, and a few good smokes to keep my head on straight.

Disillusioned Freethinker AStateJB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lostdog13 View Post
    Enjoy the slope, just be careful as it is a bit steeper over here
    Quote Originally Posted by jheiliger View Post
    Is this possible?? Now I'm scared... =)
    Yep! So many different baccies and so many different pipes...
    Hangin' out with Friends

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast