Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Crossing over... from Cigars.

This is a discussion on Crossing over... from Cigars. within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I know several of you guys are cigar smokers, so I'd like to get some advice. The last time I ...

It's a cliff not a slope! jheiliger's Avatar

Crossing over... from Cigars.

I know several of you guys are cigar smokers, so I'd like to get some advice.

The last time I smoked a pipe was about 15yrs ago, and I'm sure I didn't do it right. I was a kid (23 or so), there was no internet, and I was fumbling through on my own with "figuring it out". That said, I have 2 pipes from said venture... a corn cob that's never been smoked, and a briar (i think...).

Question:

I smoke cigars regularly (3-4 times a week), and enjoy a medium-full bodied cigar. Having said that, what would you recommend in the pipe neighborhood that would be similar? Right now, I don't have a huge interest in "flavored" tobaccos, just looking for a nice smooth smoke.

Thanks,
    Joe
    I live such a great life... A beautiful family, a job I love, and a few good smokes to keep my head on straight.

Puff's Resident Evil Dr. Dr. Plume's Avatar

Re: Crossing over... from Cigars.

Medium to full 3 to 4 times a week? Hmm royal yatch or my mixture 695 both are dunhil my opinion.
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

I always recommend newbies start off with a ribbon cut, english/balkan style blend. As your palate switches from cigars to pipe tobacco (which can take some time), theses are the easiest to detect flavors/aromas. Some recommendations:

GL Pease: Meridian, Westminster, Charing Cross
    Cornell and Diehl: Rajah's Court
    McClelland: Oriental No. 14, 3 Oaks Series,
    Dunhill: Standard Mixture Medium, London Mixture, 965

Thanks guys! Keep'em coming... I'm making a list.

Just ordered (per you first 2 responders...) Dunhill London Mixture and Royal Yacht!

I'm going to work my way down the list and see what I like!!
    I live such a great life... A beautiful family, a job I love, and a few good smokes to keep my head on straight.

By the way, I find that retrohaling is even more important to enjoying pipe tobacco than cigars. If you're not familiar, here is a helpful video:
    How to Retrohale Cigar Smoke - YouTube

Thank you, Chrono! I retro my cigars regularly (almost every draw by habit now). I remember when I first started doing it... It was like a whole new world.

And, thank you for your suggestions of baccy! I will post some results here when I get them in and have a chance to burn a bowl or 2.

Other tobaccos?? What say you?

Many of the dunhil blends would probably suit your palet. Hearth and home makes some blends that are said to mimick these traditional English blends but not replace them. I believe ambassador blend and armada come to mind and these can be had for a deal 14.95 for 8 oz at pipe and cigars I believe. If your palet adjusts to lighter tobaccos I might suggest like a frog Morton which is one of my favorites. Many of the Dunhil blends hit on the nic if you like that nightcap is good one for full flavor and nic. Early morning pipe by them is probably one of my favorite tobaccos for the morning I believe the one that hearth and home makes is called day break. Def check those all out if you like. Personally after switching my palet adjusted rather quickly I actually stopped smoking cigars and never went back. It's different though.
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Plume View Post
    Personally after switching my palet adjusted rather quickly I actually stopped smoking cigars and never went back. It's different though.
    Interesting... What do you enjoy about the pipe that made you step away from cigars?

Quote Originally Posted by jheiliger View Post
    Interesting... What do you enjoy about the pipe that made you step away from cigars?
    Pipe tobacco has much greater nuance and variety of flavors/aromas than cigars (in my humble opinion). Once I found the blends that suit my tastes (i.e. english/balkan blends) and got down my techinique of packing/lighting/smoking properly, cigars became little more than the occasional change of pace. Much of it also has to do with the ritual of pipe smoking. You have to pick your blend, then the pipe, portion it out, work your fingers through it, pack, etc. Not to mention the pipes, of course! The same blend will be different in different pipes, and sometimes a particular pipe/blend will compliment eachother in an almost magical way, resulting in some pretty awesome smokes. The cigar you enjoy eventually is gone. The pipes become cherished friends that last a lifetime if properly cared for. That's not to say it's better (eh, screw that - it's better than cigars), but it is a whole different world. It may not be for you, but if you take to it I suspect you'll find yourself reaching less and less for your stogies.

Ditto what Dave said - I rarely have a cigar now that I took up the pipe, although I do still enjoy them. It is simply more relaxing for me.
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoB View Post
    Pipe tobacco has much greater nuance and variety of flavors/aromas than cigars (in my humble opinion). Once I found the blends that suit my tastes (i.e. english/balkan blends) and got down my techinique of packing/lighting/smoking properly, cigars became little more than the occasional change of pace. Much of it also has to do with the ritual of pipe smoking. You have to pick your blend, then the pipe, portion it out, work your fingers through it, pack, etc. Not to mention the pipes, of course! The same blend will be different in different pipes, and sometimes a particular pipe/blend will compliment eachother in an almost magical way, resulting in some pretty awesome smokes. The cigar you enjoy eventually is gone. The pipes become cherished friends that last a lifetime if properly cared for. That's not to say it's better (eh, screw that - it's better than cigars), but it is a whole different world. It may not be for you, but if you take to it I suspect you'll find yourself reaching less and less for your stogies.
    Well said. Couldn't have out it better myself. There is something about it. Even when I stopped smoking tobacco altogether for a while it never stopped calling my name. I came back and am here now. Cigars start and end the same. The feeling when I remove my treasured friend (pipe) from my bag and decide what and how to smoke it. It's all about the journey, the nuances, almost ritualistic if you will. And when it's over you still have your friend back in the bag waiting for the next adventure. It's as close to magic as it gets.

Disillusioned Freethinker AStateJB's Avatar

Welcome, Joe! I'm a dual sloper as well. I recommend latakia and lots of it! Lat blends were by far my favorite when I started on pipe and are still my preference, though I have begun enjoying other styles more. For me straight/heavy Virginia blends took some getting used to and VAPers took even more. Not that they aren't good, they just took some adjustment.
    Hangin' out with Friends

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

My favorite type of pipe tobacco are Virginias. Mildly sweet, strong in vitamin N, and just good, rich, straight tobacco flavor.

That being said, my favorite blend isn't a VA, it's Gawith, Hoggarth, and Co. Bob's Chocolate Flake. It's a rich, strong tobacco, with just enough chocolate and cocoa topping to be smelled/tasted if smoked slowly and retrohaled, and it has a wee bit of latakia (like 8%), just enough to not make it a latakia blend, but rather the latakia is sortta a condiment. I love the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by AStateJB View Post
    Welcome, Joe! I'm a dual sloper as well. I recommend latakia and lots of it! Lat blends were by far my favorite when I started on pipe and are still my preference, though I have begun enjoying other styles more. For me straight/heavy Virginia blends took some getting used to and VAPers took even more. Not that they aren't good, they just took some adjustment.
    Thanks Josh! Are there certain lat blends you would recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by El wedo del milagro View Post
    My favorite type of pipe tobacco are Virginias. Mildly sweet, strong in vitamin N, and just good, rich, straight tobacco flavor.

That being said, my favorite blend isn't a VA, it's Gawith, Hoggarth, and Co. Bob's Chocolate Flake. It's a rich, strong tobacco, with just enough chocolate and cocoa topping to be smelled/tasted if smoked slowly and retrohaled, and it has a wee bit of latakia (like 8%), just enough to not make it a latakia blend, but rather the latakia is sortta a condiment. I love the stuff.
    Thanks Mark! What Virginia blends are your favorites??

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast