Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Am I Dull, or Just Content?

This is a discussion on Am I Dull, or Just Content? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Aka: How I stopped worrying and loved the leaf. I have not been smoking a pipe for long, only a ...

Am I Dull, or Just Content?

Aka: How I stopped worrying and loved the leaf.

I have not been smoking a pipe for long, only a year and a half, but am a veritable veteran with tobacco. I smoked cigarettes heavily (bad idea), I have had cigarillos, more cigars than my phone list can hold, snuff, snus, dip, and chew. Yet only one type has captured my imagination and my soul, the pipe.

Such a simple instrument, a bowl to hold tobacco, and a funnel to put it into our mouthes. Yet such a simple object is so beutiful and varied! Meerschaum, Briar, Clay, Corn, ect. All lovingly crafted to create a heirloom piece. Why?

Why? That is answered by another simple idea; what goes in it. Tobacco, the loving leaf that poets have waxed and waned to attempt to portray its beauty. So much endless variety, but none hold a candle to pipe tobacco.

Now, I have tried my fair share of blends, and I have left myself with two for everyday use, and mix that up once in a blue moon with a new purchase. I have found that all I need is GW Dark Birdseye for the day, and Dunhill Nightcap just before bed.

Now I have a question for you, my, brothers, am I dull, or just content? I can honestly say that I have found my holy grail! It sounds so odd to say that, considering that I am still a novice. Now that said, I will never stop sampling different blends, but I am not looking for something to replace my old standbys. Gotta give that 1792 a try!

-Michael
    Last edited by Ghost02; 12-27-2012 at 02:10 AM.

Puff's Resident Evil Dr. Dr. Plume's Avatar

Re: Am I Dull, or Just Content?

I vote content not dull. I have two regulars as well
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

Puff's Resident Evil Dr. Dr. Plume's Avatar

And it's always out of the same pipe these days
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

Either or as long as you are happy bro......I do like the Nightcap as well.

Content says me. Do not forget that many of our forefathers owned only one pipe & smoked "their" tobacco quite happily with little variation.
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

Young Fish

I would imagine the vast majority of us are looking for 'content'. I have a few favorites that I would be content with if that was all there were but always trying something different just to see. The taste buds change it seems. Finding something that is perfect for you is a rare bird and when you find it you can reach contentment.

Content. I'm rapidly zeroing in on 3 favorites that will be daily smokers. My tastes have changed over the years and I spent some time searching for new favorites.

Full grown Puffer Fish jobes2007's Avatar

I do like to try different stuff a lot, but at the end of the day, I'm probably smoking Nightcap, Luxury Bullseye Flake, or FVF (currently). Whatever makes you happy man. I will say, I switch my pipes a lot, I like to smoke all the ones I own.
    Love free stuff? Love Pipe tobacco? Do I have the thread for you! http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/genera...al-thread.html

your content, like what ya smoke, smoke what you like.
    I am still trying different blends all the time to found a new favorite. But one blend I always go back to is LNF. Now that I'm sitting on 9.5 lbs of it. I really don't think I will be needing to buy more LNF ha

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

I vote "content" as well. I've got it down to 5 or so varieties (with the 1792 at the top for now - do try it!), and am myself content with that.

In my book there is nothing "dull" about sticking with an excellent pipe tobacco.
    Last edited by ProbateGeek; 12-28-2012 at 04:40 AM.
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

A unanimous vote "content" might look suspicious to the auditors, so I'll change my vote to "dull", for the sake of an undisputed poll. Personally, I see your two choices as marks of good taste and a dislike of fluffery.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

In the interest of clarity - and the brevity of which I am preternaturally bereft - I vote:

Yes.
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    A unanimous vote "content" might look suspicious to the auditors, so I'll change my vote to "dull", for the sake of an undisputed poll. Personally, I see your two choices as marks of good taste and a dislike of fluffery.
    I am afraid I dont quite understand.

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost02 View Post
    I am afraid I dont quite understand.
    Get used to it - it's Jim.
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

I'm a dullard. In my first pipe incarnation (20 years ago) I smoked nothing but Edgeworth Sliced (with an occasional and short-lived dalliance with other tobaccos). I would happily have gone back to it and smoked nothing else. But "luckily" I found that it was long gone when I returned to the pipe and needed to experiment until I found my new touchstone tobacco, Louisiana Flake. This time round I do mix it up a bit more, but always return to home base. As was mentioned, an awful lot of people smoked "their blend" and nothing else in the heyday of pipe smoking. Out of just one pipe, no less. Dullards they may have been, but clearly content dullards.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast