Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Pipe Reflection 2012 - Pipe Dreams 2013

This is a discussion on Pipe Reflection 2012 - Pipe Dreams 2013 within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; So, I just started smoking a pipe this year, and, well, I've been a victim of many members on here ...

No longer a community member.

Pipe Reflection 2012 - Pipe Dreams 2013

So, I just started smoking a pipe this year, and, well, I've been a victim of many members on here and of my own credit card to TAD and PAD. After about 7 months (I think?) here's what my stash looks like:

I started pipe smoking believing solely in English blends, with a sample of Pirate Kake sent from Paul (Bunnosaurus) being my favorite. I still do love my English blends, and smoke a lot of Nightcap, Latakia Blend (MacB), 965, and, less frequently, EMP and PS Proper English. MacB started as my favorite tobacco company too, with Plumcake, Scottish Blend, Virgina No 1, and Virginia Flake still smoked by me a good amount.

Then, I found McClelland. I've liked everything I've smoked of theirs, to be honest. My original favorite was Frog Morton, but it hasn't been doing it for me lately. Now I go to FM: AtP, Arcadia, Christmas Cheer, and Dominican Glory Maduro from them.

I've also recently really enjoyed Full Virginia Flake and the Chocolate Flake by SG. And, on the vaper side, Luxury Bullseye Flake and Escudo

My current favorite pipes are my Meer, and my red and black no-name (as far as I know) that I bought from Joe (bazooka). I do love Nording alot, and my Nording Freehand (again, from Paul), gets smoked pretty regularly, and I bought a black and red Nording that looks like my favorite briar. Actually, I smoke all my pipes pretty often, tbh.

So, those were my reflections. 2013 Pipe Dreams (but, really, these are my pipe-related goals for the year):

I want to do a review series of Samuel Gawith tobaccos. I have only tried three of theirs, but I loved them all. I think I'll do a big P&C order at sometime of all their high rated blends.
    I want to smoke 5-6 GL Pease blends. I've only tried Billy Budd, somehow.
    I'd like to buy a Sav.
    I'd like to buy a Peterson.
    I'm also planning on doing a big order once my next semester starts that will be strictly to put away for a year.

So, here's hoping your last few pipes of 2012 are good and your first few of 2013 are better. Anyone else have any goals/reflections?

Re: Pipe Reflection 2012 - Pipe Dreams 2013

I am pretty much in the same boat - fell down the slope pretty quickly. GLP is one of my favorite blends, as is SG. I did a group buy of GLP's Old London series and will run another one in the near future. Also had a great time with the OTC trade/review thread and the mystery 'baccy. I will run another group trade/review soon as it seems that there is interest for such.

I'm finding that my tastes are evolving, which is no surprise. I am on a bit of a VA/VaPer bing lately and have learned to enjoy the simplicity of a burley.

Then snuff happened.

Goals? I want to try more ropes, God help me.
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

Quote Originally Posted by Desertlifter View Post
    I am pretty much in the same boat - fell down the slope pretty quickly. GLP is one of my favorite blends, as is SG. I did a group buy of GLP's Old London series and will run another one in the near future. Also had a great time with the OTC trade/review thread and the mystery 'baccy. I will run another group trade/review soon as it seems that there is interest for such.

I'm finding that my tastes are evolving, which is no surprise. I am on a bit of a VA/VaPer bing lately and have learned to enjoy the simplicity of a burley.

Then snuff happened.

Goals? I want to try more ropes, God help me.
    Ah, I forgot about ropes... One day.

Puffer Fish with many spikes mturnmm's Avatar

Well, I started with the pipe this year. I have my sav....corn cobs and a small meer, I got off of flea bay. Its barley large enough to get a taste...so I just put it up as a eccentric deco item. I would like to get a full sized meer and one or two more briars. I want to finally put cigs behind me. So I can buy more pipe tobacco. Cigars the last half of the year were more of a disappointment than anything. Want to try as many different blends as I can. I'm also gonna carve my own this next year!
    Here's to us and those like us!
    God Bless our Troops...especially our Snipers!

The Pipe has been a cold weather tobacco delivery method for the past two years. I'm finding, though, that this year I'm really "getting it" - and that's not to say that it wasn't enjoyable before. I have this sneaking suspicion that when the seasons change I'll be a bit more attached to them than in previous years, and my cigar consumption will wain even more. Time will tell.

So, my 2012 memory is that I continued with my annual focus on snowy tobacco purchases (I can't say I've ever purchased pipe tobacco between the months of March and October before - it's all during the winter) and that the act of piping has made a deeper connection.

My dreams for 2013 are to possibly add another Abe Herbaugh, another custom Dave McCarter, to continue searching for an affordable Dunhill in a shape that I find pleasing to the eye, to finally catalog & update my online tobacco cellar & get a handle on that (I guarantee this will continue to be a dream for many upcoming years), and to share at least one bowl - IN PERSON - with one of the brothers from this forum. Unless something amazing happens, I think Jim (freestroke) will be my best shot at that as he's only around 4 1/2 hours from me.

Additionally, I'd love to blend my own (even if it's from component tobaccos) and I'd love to carve & finish (finish is the key) a pipe of my own.
    Never trust anyone over 30.

Double post - not sure how that happened.

I started pipe smoking this year as well (thank you Johnb and Hannibal), but for a while it was just an "hmmm I think I'll have a bowl" thing for a while. Now I usually have 2 a day when ever I'm able. I just ordered a briar, plan to order a meer in the next month or so, and am still debating the Peterson St. Patty Day pipe this year. I've been ordering different baccies (mostly Va and VaPer) and cannot wait to be able to try them out and jar the rest up (order 2 tins of everything; my wallet hates you MarkC). I have ordered a bunch of cigars lately (have sent most home, but do have some herf-a-dors here that I've filled up), but I've been enjoying cigars more in social settings lately and the pipe is more of my relax and get away. So, we'll see where things go from here in The Year of THE LostDog (aka 2013).
    Editing and deleting are two different things. You edit a whole by deleting a part; you cannot edit a part by deleting it. Webster can clear this up for you.

Don't feel alone, John; my wallet hates me as well. If I pull my plastic out in front of the monitor, you can almost hear it whimpering...

2012 for me pipe-wise wasn't really anything new, just a continuation of past trends, smoking my favorites and the occasional new blend, adding a pipe here and there. The only revelation of the year was that I changed from worrying about the turnover on Puff's pipe forums and noticed that these newer members were pretty darn good!

I'm hoping to reign in the TAD this next year; my storage cabinet is almost full, and I'm going to try to switch to just buying enough to keep it full rather than growing the cellar further. Of course, we all know that the only way to shut down TAD is to distract it with advanced stage PAD, so hopefully my smoking budget can add a few nice smokers to the racks. Of course, at this time next year, I could have one more cob and a box of tobacco over the cabinet...
    ********.com

Quote Originally Posted by szyzk View Post
    ...to share at least one bowl - IN PERSON - with one of the brothers from this forum. Unless something amazing happens, I think Jim (freestroke) will be my best shot at that as he's only around 4 1/2 hours from me.
    Looks like you're 3 hours from Rochester and I'm 2 hours. Now if we can both find a reason to be in Rochester at the same time, we're set! (You really ARE out in the middle nowhere, Andrew! One normally has to look at a map of Alaska to find a place with so few roads connecting to the rest of the world.)
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

The Pipe has been a cold weather tobacco delivery method for the past two years. I'm finding, though, that this year I'm really "getting it" - and that's not to say that it wasn't enjoyable before. I have this sneaking suspicion that when the seasons change I'll be a bit more attached to them than in previous years, and my cigar consumption will wain even more. Time will tell.

So, my 2012 memory is that I continued with my annual focus on snowy tobacco purchases (I can't say I've ever purchased pipe tobacco between the months of March and October before - it's all during the winter) and that the act of piping has made a deeper connection.

My dreams for 2013 are to possibly add another Abe Herbaugh, another custom Dave McCarter, to continue searching for an affordable Dunhill in a shape that I find pleasing to the eye, to finally catalog & update my online tobacco cellar & get a handle on that (I guarantee this will continue to be a dream for many upcoming years), and to share at least one bowl - IN PERSON - with one of the brothers from this forum. Unless something amazing happens, I think Jim (freestroke) will be my best shot at that as he's only around 4 1/2 hours from me.

Additionally, I'd love to blend my own (even if it's from component tobaccos) and I'd love to carve & finish (finish is the key) a pipe of my own.

That's a good goal as well, I' m going to try to get a herf going at some point this year too.

2013 will bring me my long overdue Meer and DG Omega. I'm also thinking about a Peterson Aran because I love the shape, though it will more than likely be an estate and not a new. Ebay's pipe section will get even more scrutiny this year than last. It's nice to have a little extra cash coming in from my part time consulting gig. Since I decided at the first of 2012, to go full pipes and not do the cigar/pipe two-step, my world of new tobaccos expanded immensely. I've narrowed down some new great favorites thanks to my BOTL/SOTLs. I'm done with the Lat bombs and into smooth predominate Virginia's and kicked up my vitamin 'N' tolerance. That's a good thing right?
    Last edited by 36Bones; 12-30-2012 at 10:56 AM.

Midlife crises Puffer mcgreggor57's Avatar

2012 was my intro year. I still haven't smoked through all of my initial NPST samples which is proof, that I'm an unadventurous creature of habit. Cobs and OTC's have been my bane. In all fairness, I have learned a lot about how to smoke a pipe. I've also sampled a few OMG baccy's that I will never be without. I think it's important we find a way to keep some type of sampling threads going

It's my hope in 2013 that I take more time to smoke a pipe than only during my daily commute. Like others, I'm pretty sure the colder weather will find me reaching for a bowl more often than a stick. I also hope to grab a briar or meer more often. Not that cobs aren't awesome, I just want to avoid falling into ruts. There's too much variety in this hobby to get stuck- especially being so new to it.

Hopefully both the TAD and PAD will be controllable. My baccy wishlist is pretty set on blends I love and need to replace along with blends that have piqued my interest through some of the reviews I've read. Then there's the snuff thing...
    Tobacco Cellar: http://www.tobaccocellar.com/mcgreggor57
    Never trust a woman's tears or a dog's limp.

Quote Originally Posted by jobes2007 View Post
    I want to smoke 5-6 GL Pease blends. I've only tried Billy Budd, somehow.
    Ummmm......BB isn't a GLP blend. It's blended by C&D.

So perhaps you should expand your goal to 5-6 GLP blends and 5-6 C&D blends!

Ok, let's see -

In mid 2011, I really went on a buying spree with cigars, buying a bunch of new stuff to try and stocking up on favorites to age. Then in late 2011, I really started moving from cigars to pipes. I much prefer pipes now. So I've now got a fairly large stockpile of cigars that aren't getting smoked. In 2012, I explored a lot of different pipe tobaccos, and I've got a really good handle on what my likes and dislikes are.

Goals for 2013? I hope to continue expanding my cellar with favorites. I hope to continue expanding my pipe rack with more estate Dr Grabows. I'm gonna try to start whittling down my cigar supply, and try to start smoking at least two or three a week (I was at 2-3 a day before getting into pipes...hence the large stockpile). And I shall be ordering some snuff soon!

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Looks like you're 3 hours from Rochester and I'm 2 hours. Now if we can both find a reason to be in Rochester at the same time, we're set! (You really ARE out in the middle nowhere, Andrew! One normally has to look at a map of Alaska to find a place with so few roads connecting to the rest of the world.)
    Aye. I've often joked that I live in the forgotten third of Pennsylvania, which is sandwiched somewhere between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia and accessible to no one. The Captains of Industry who grew towns like Warren into bustling, wealthy centers of art, pomp, employment and leisure didn't foresee the need for inter-connected roadways and, in time, the rest of the country waxed while these towns waned. Granted, it's provided a bubble of sorts that has kept us shielded from the nasties of the world - housing market, crime, the too-fast growth that chokes some cities - but it's also kept us left out of the goodies of the world - information and technology, state-funded improvements, and so on.

Regarding Rochester: There are certainly a few places we could meet to share a bowl & a beer. If I have any business up that way I'll give you a ring.

Aye. I've often joked that I live in the forgotten third of Pennsylvania, which is sandwiched somewhere between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia and accessible to no one. The Captains of Industry who grew towns like Warren into bustling, wealthy centers of art, pomp, employment and leisure didn't foresee the need for inter-connected roadways and, in time, the rest of the country waxed while these towns waned. Granted, it's provided a bubble of sorts that has kept us shielded from the nasties of the world - housing market, crime, the too-fast growth that chokes some cities - but it's also kept us left out of the goodies of the world - information and technology, state-funded improvements, and so on.

Regarding Rochester: There are certainly a few places we could meet to share a bowl & a beer. If I have any business up that way I'll give you a ring.
    Good friend of mine lives in Imperial - hope to visit with him in the next year or two.
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast