Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Can anyone tell me something about this Dunhill (pics included)?

This is a discussion on Can anyone tell me something about this Dunhill (pics included)? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Hello pipe lovers. First post here. A few years ago I came into possession of my dear uncle's modest pipe ...

Newbie in the ocean

Can anyone tell me something about this Dunhill (pics included)?

Hello pipe lovers. First post here. A few years ago I came into possession of my dear uncle's modest pipe collection (about 50 pipes, all quality and pretty well cared for). Among them are several Dunhills from the 70s and 80s. One in particular has a feature that is a mystery to me. It has an indented bowl which I have never seen on any Dunhill. Pics with markings are included here. I would appreciate any insight as to the history, rarity, and (if possible and out of curiosity) worth of the pipe!

Can anyone tell me something about this Dunhill (pics included)?-uploaded-10-28-12-291.jpg

Can anyone tell me something about this Dunhill (pics included)?-uploaded-10-28-12-292.jpg

Can anyone tell me something about this Dunhill (pics included)?-uploaded-10-28-12-289.jpg

Can anyone tell me something about this Dunhill (pics included)?-uploaded-10-28-12-287.jpg

Re: Can anyone tell me something about this Dunhill (pics included)?

Not sure, and I can't be any help, but I just wanted to say that I'm envious! I've wanted a Dunhill for a long time - so consider yourself lucky! Keep your Uncle in your thoughts when you're smoking!
    Never trust anyone over 30.

The "20" after "Made in England" is a date code.
    It means 1960 + 20. So, this pipe was made in 1980.

Need to see the marking on the other side to tell much else.

Quote Originally Posted by szyzk View Post
    Not sure, and I can't be any help, but I just wanted to say that I'm envious! I've wanted a Dunhill for a long time - so consider yourself lucky! Keep your Uncle in your thoughts when you're smoking!
    Not to detract at all from this pipe (which is very fine looking indeed - good thick walls and that "odd" shape; hard to see here - is it a sitter on its front edge? Never seen anything like it.). But...

Another victim of the Dunhill marketing machine. And they are undeniably very good at this.

They "make" nice pipes, even fine ones, but I personally have never been that impressed. You can get properly hand-crafted artisan pipes at a fraction of the cost. The whole Dunghill patent process is constructed around the idea that you can buy in carved bowls from a variety of manufacturers, boil the briar in oil and it suddenly takes on miraculous properties. I've had one Dunhill - a 1960s/70s (I guess) Billiard and it was just so-so. Not bad, but not the stunning smoking machine I was lead to believe it should be. I've lost it over the past 20 years - shows how much I valued it (I bought it for pennies at a charity shop. It may turn up again one day.) A fair proportion of the Dunhills I have seen as estates have been cracked. Could be that the briar really is very fine indeed (really well seasoned briar appears to be prone to extreme dryness and cracking if not carefully smoked - Pre-Transition Barlings do suffer from this), but in view of the "Process", this isn't the likely cause IM(not so)HO. Maybe the process itself is to blame. They also offer(ed ??) a burn-through guarantee for one year. Why was that needed? Was it needed? Again, I'm not denying that these are well made pipes - very well made pipes. And opinion does have it that the Pre-War pipes can be rather special. But they appear to me to be at a large premium based on qualities that may no longer exist or at least have been somewhat debased.

I stand ready for the viraginous rage of those whose babies have been slighted...

(Just my twopennyworth - controversial enough? I'm going to make a concerted effort to find my Dunhill or buy an estate one. I want to see if my prejudice is in any way warranted.)
    Last edited by steinr1; 01-01-2013 at 12:45 PM.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    I stand ready for the viraginous rage of those whose babies have been slighted...

(Just my twopennyworth - controversial enough? I'm going to make a concerted effort to find my Dunhill or buy an estate one. I want to see if my prejudice is in any way warranted.)
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Young Puffer Fish

See if you can find some info here:

A Dunhill Pipe Dating ...

Rich
    4noggins.com