Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lakeland!

This is a discussion on Lakeland! within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Post what you want and what you have! Nothing is better than Lakeland!...

Lakeland!

Post what you want and what you have! Nothing is better than Lakeland!

Re: Lakeland!

At the risk of being run out of town....what is Lakeland?

Lakeland the Lakeland district of Britain. or Kendal.
    if you've smoked a G&H blend or a SG blend condor St bruno you've smoked a lakeland blend

No thanks.

Yes please.

My touchstone tobacco is Louisiana Flake.

Also
    Condor Long-Cut...
    Ennerdale Flake...
    Kendal Flake... (not very sauced)
    1792 Flake...

The ropes? I'd say that the Aromatic Black Bogie has the sauce , for sure. The "plain" Black Bogie, I'm not sure of. Strong in other ways so less easy to say.

And, the Lakes are absolutely stunning.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

there are 2 different types of lakelands.
    the floral, purfume, soap kind. and the dark oil rich types such as the ropes and twist.
    me personally I like the lighter lakelands. But they can be Nic bombs as much as the ropes and twists

Puffer Fish with some spikes Salty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by laloin View Post
    there are 2 different types of lakelands.
    the floral, purfume, soap kind. and the dark oil rich types such as the ropes and twist.
    me personally I like the lighter lakelands. But they can be Nic bombs as much as the ropes and twists

Ahh, thanks Troy. I was confused about that. I need to explore the lakelands more. I have already decided that I am going to get a new cob dedicated to Ennerdale when I try it. I was just discussing the ropes and twists in general with Terry. I have a long list of "need to try" tobaccos.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to have to try some of these when I get home.

Mmmmmm......Lakeland

Ennerdale
    1792 Flake
    Black XX
    SG FVF
    SG MVF
    SG Grousemoor
    SG Best Brown
    SG Squadron Leader

We've discussed this before, but are all Lakeland District blends considered "Lakelands," or just the ones that are topped/enhanced?
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

Puffer Fish with many spikes Blue_2's Avatar

I was under the impression that they were all Lakelands, since tonquin is used in other tobaccos that aren't from that region.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertlifter View Post
    Mmmmmm......Lakeland

Ennerdale
    1792 Flake
    Black XX
    SG FVF
    SG MVF
    SG Grousemoor
    SG Best Brown
    SG Squadron Leader

We've discussed this before, but are all Lakeland District blends considered "Lakelands," or just the ones that are topped/enhanced?
    I would vote for the "essential oils". SL, BXX, , MVF, FVF and BBF are not Lakelands in my taxonomic system.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Puff's Resident Evil Dr. Dr. Plume's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    I would vote for the "essential oils". SL, BXX, , MVF, FVF and BBF are not Lakelands in my taxonomic system.
    Lakeland topped no... But they are made in the heart of the English Lakeland.
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

at one time way back in England. they used to blend tobacco in cement mixer, throwing whatever came to mind. alot of people died to poorly blended tobacco. Hence the English purity laws came into effect.
    The blender had to follow strict laws as to what they could add to the tobacco.
    Yes the aurgument can go back and forth bout FVF not being a lakeland but it is product by SG in the heart of the lakeland district. G&H blends in Kendal also in the lakeland district. Just caz it doesn't have that flower/perfume/soap taste doesn't mean it not a lakeland.

Quote Originally Posted by laloin View Post
    Just caz it doesn't have that flower/perfume/soap taste doesn't mean it not a lakeland.
    We may be entering the same semantic subterfuge encountered with "English mixture" coming to mean "containing Latakia". In common parlance, one can say that Bright CR Flake is not a Lakeland, and say so more correctly than saying that The Royal Yacht is not "English". "Lakeland" describes a family of toppings that SG and GH&Co use, in a way that saying "English" does not convey for Latakia. Does it have that soapy smell? It's a Lakeland. While Black XX might be made in the Lakelands, and technically is a Lakeland I suppose, I wouldn't call it a Lakeland myself. "All philosophy is a matter of defining the question." If I ask, "Is it a Lakeland?" and you tell me "Yes." and it turns out to be Best Brown Flake, I am NOT going to be happy about it. Not entirely sad, mind you, but I would have been expecting Cannon Plug.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

I'm not quite sure how Latakia blends were referred to english as well. Since Latakia is pretty much a orintal leaf. But I do understand blends make in the lakeland district are lakeland blends. two different types of lakelands. The lighter floral/soapy lakelands. an the dark heavy oily lakelands IE black Irish XX

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast