Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Smell vs Taste

This is a discussion on Smell vs Taste within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Being new and poking around with this pipe stuff is it weird at all that I like the smell of ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes Tumadre99's Avatar

Smell vs Taste

Being new and poking around with this pipe stuff is it weird at all that I like the smell of the tobacco (burning or not) more than the actual taste when smoking? I have two Hearth & Home blends, Burley Kake and Berry Nice and while they aren't bad, I just don't enjoy the taste as much as my cigars. Is this a typical noob thing or what?

Maturing Puffer Fish Pipe Pastor's Avatar

Re: Smell vs Taste

I feel like when you find the right baccy, you will love the taste of it and everything about it. There are so many options out there for tobacco that you are sure to find something that meets your requirements.

I am a huge fan of Java Cigars... I know, I know... and have yet to have that taste duplicated in pipe tobacco. However, I love the taste of Lane's 1Q and have enjoyed the taste of a few shop blends.

Keep trying and you will find something that you like!

As a cigar smoker, you probably actually like the taste of tobacco, so you need to buy mixtures that are less flavored and more loaded with Vitamin N. Get some Royal Yacht to move toward "real" pipe tobacco. Irish Flake will take you a little farther into the potent realm and the ropes and twists farther yet. The Hearth and Home is "nice", but a little too nice. Other possibilities are Dark Birdseye, Full Virginia Flake, Kendal's Kentucky and Tilbury (failing acquisition of the HTF Stonehaven).
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

ahhh, okay...

Looks like I will pick up a can or two of the stuff both of ya'll mentioned.
    Now what to do with this shit now, haha.

thanks!

You need English blends! GH Dark Birdseye is like a Flora Digger of the pipe world.

Try some full flavored, English, high nicotine blends. My recommendations,

GH Dark Birdseye
    Dunhill Nightcap
    Dunhill Royal Yacht
    SG Squadron Leader
    SG 1792 Flake (gonna be buying this soon, lots of hype)

I also went from cigars to pipe, I normally had Oliva V's, and found that only a full powered pipe tobacco could satisfy. Also, remember that pipe tobacco flavors are much more subdued. There are more flavors, but it is more like a mortar round going off in your mouth compared to the nuke that are cigars.

Puff's Resident Evil Dr. Dr. Plume's Avatar

I find that aromatic pipe tobaccos smell very different than they taste but as your pipe taste develop I believe these smells that seem different to taste will begin to sync up a bit. Berry nice I believe is a heavy topped aromatic and many aromatics in pipes have the problem of smelling better than they taste here why I think that is. With a flavored the cigar much of the flavoring is on the wrapper leaf which goes directly on your tongue you taste the flavors. Pipe tobacco never touches your tongue hopefully so you have to really top it to make it taste to smell. By then it would be super difficult and hot to burn with tongue bite galore. Now I believe that if you smoke enough pipe you will be able to pick up subtle notes in the Baccy that it is topped with but they are subtle. For you I agree with the others, cigar smokers especially at first like the english blends like dunhils offerings especially on royal yatch. Don't completely give up on the others though instead revisit them put them in your carnet and leave them for a few months you might be glad you did. Good luck!
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

Here's lots of recommendations for you: Crossing over... from Cigars.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Plume View Post
    I find that aromatic pipe tobaccos smell very different than they taste but as your pipe taste develop I believe these smells that seem different to taste will begin to sync up a bit. Berry nice I believe is a heavy topped aromatic and many aromatics in pipes have the problem of smelling better than they taste here why I think that is. With a flavored the cigar much of the flavoring is on the wrapper leaf which goes directly on your tongue you taste the flavors. Pipe tobacco never touches your tongue hopefully so you have to really top it to make it taste to smell. By then it would be super difficult and hot to burn with tongue bite galore. Now I believe that if you smoke enough pipe you will be able to pick up subtle notes in the Baccy that it is topped with but they are subtle. For you I agree with the others, cigar smokers especially at first like the english blends like dunhils offerings especially on royal yatch. Don't completely give up on the others though instead revisit them put them in your carnet and leave them for a few months you might be glad you did. Good luck!
    Great explanation on that smell/taste discrepancy as well. It makes sense tho. I have given myself some gnarly tongue bite attempting to get these flavors out in large pulls. I definitely don't want to give up just yet. I can't let myself to do that. It'll feel like just threw away $50 in this hobby haha. I will find something I love!

Quote Originally Posted by gahdzila View Post
    Here's lots of recommendations for you: Crossing over... from Cigars.
    I've been reading this thread, there are a ton of recommendations! Enough to last a lifetime at the rate I smoke haha

If you haven't already, make sure you sign up for the Newbie Pipe Sampler Trade. You'll get lots of different types to try out and may find a few that you love.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish InsidiousTact's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tumadre99 View Post
    I have given myself some gnarly tongue bite attempting to get these flavors out in large pulls.

Here is a big problem then as far as pulling taste from the smoke and having the best pipe experience possible... It seems counterintuitive I know, but with pipes the slower you smoke the more flavor you get. Literally, the pipe should be on the verge of going out. It takes a bit to get the technique down, but tobacco is definitely a bug factor and some are easier to pull flavor from, and are tamer (less bite, less gurgle, etc).

To everyone else... Hi, long time no see!
    To be governed is to be at every operation, at every transaction, noted, registered, enrolled, taxed..., forbidden, reformed, corrected, punished. Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post
    If you haven't already, make sure you sign up for the Newbie Pipe Sampler Trade. You'll get lots of different types to try out and may find a few that you love.
    Sounds like a good idea. I will have to do this when I get paid at the end of this week!

Quote Originally Posted by InsidiousTact View Post
    Here is a big problem then as far as pulling taste from the smoke and having the best pipe experience possible... It seems counterintuitive I know, but with pipes the slower you smoke the more flavor you get. Literally, the pipe should be on the verge of going out. It takes a bit to get the technique down, but tobacco is definitely a bug factor and some are easier to pull flavor from, and are tamer (less bite, less gurgle, etc).
    Ahh yess, i promise you i learned quickly to not do that! I stopped immediately, that DID NOT feel/taste great. But I have come a long way from the first bowl! I was just too excited to pack and smoke I didn't bother reading any instructions...Its definitely a way better experience now compared to then, but I think my biggest issue is the baccy. I just gotta find my type I guess. I didn't just happen to fall on a good first one like I did with cigars.

Puff's Resident Evil Dr. Dr. Plume's Avatar

Yes you simply just need to find your type I think the other thread has some great suggestions and to be honest I was a cigar guy at one point, and after my pipe start on captain black I primarily smoked dunhil night cap and emp and cannot even estimate how many bowls full of these two tobaccos I have had. Now strangely enough coming back to pipe my preferences have drastically changed and while I still love the former mentioned I prefer Vapers and valats now. I think they are even changing now to more lat blends which is crazy. Anyway all this to say newbie trade is best way to try a bunch.
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

It's a cliff not a slope! jheiliger's Avatar

Hey Oscar!

I got a ton of great info in the "Crossing over" thread... Since then, I've been trying the 2 Dunhill blends I got (Royal Yacht and London Mixture), and I'm definitely enjoying them!

Best of luck to you!
    Joe
    I live such a great life... A beautiful family, a job I love, and a few good smokes to keep my head on straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumadre99 View Post
    Sounds like a good idea. I will have to do this when I get paid at the end of this week!
    Hey, it'll take you that long to organize the trade with your EPS. Get crackin', Oscar!
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

I'm a little late to this party, but here you go. I actually taste very little to nothing with my tongue (or I'm not perceiving it as taste, so it doesn't matter) with tobacco. I get almost all flavor/aroma through smell. That being said, I think you should buy some blends with latakia/orientals in them (i.e. English blends). And if you don't already retrohale I find it is even more important with pipe tobacco than cigars: How to Retrohale Cigar Smoke - YouTube

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast