Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Starting the year off right!

This is a discussion on Starting the year off right! within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Hey guys, 2012 was not a great year by most accounts. I lost a father figure to cancer, picked up ...

Starting the year off right!

Hey guys,

2012 was not a great year by most accounts. I lost a father figure to cancer, picked up the bottle for a time, and spent a lot of time not living well. I tell you that to tell you this:

I decided to be a bit conservative this NYE. Had a couple glasses of Bulleit Rye, and spent time with the people I care about most. I woke up the next morning feeling wide awake and eager to start 2013 with some Davidoff Flake Medallions out of my new Peder Jeppesen (Christmas gift from the girlfriend). The only issue was that I was dangerously low on pipe cleaners, and had to make a run to the B&M. We all know how that goes.

1 hour and some great conversation later, I was headed home with two estate pipes. A smallish slightly canted Billiard marked "SUNRISE" and "Vintage Briar", and a huge Savinelli 316 shape. Also included was the aforementioned pipe cleaners, and 1oz of a house blend called "Britannica". Something like 70% Latakia. Seemed kind of gimmicky, but was actually one of the better smokes I have ever had.

All of that is nice and fun, but my drive into work 1 hour ago tops it all. While I waited for my car to heat up and clear off the half melted Indiana snow, I hurriedly stuffed my MM cob full of some Carter Hall. I do this every single day on my morning commute, but this time was different. I lit up before I pulled away, and was rewarded with 45 minutes of the flavor all of the burley fetishists are always on about. Smooth, nutty, slightly bittersweet chocolate. No bite, and ZERO gurgle. But that is not the best part. I paid almost no attention, letting the car drive itself while I fell into an OTC stupor, and when I pulled in, I hit dry ash.

That's right, ladies and gentlemen. NOT ONE RELIGHT.

TLR-Happy New Year!! Let's hear your story now!

PS: Girlfriends sister gave me a baggie of an ominously labeled "Vanilla Cavendish". A sweet gesture,sure, but after a half bowl in a cob, it joins the numerous Berry Spice Caramel Cavendeath blends in a tub labeled "Litter Box Deodorizer".

Midlife crises Puffer mcgreggor57's Avatar

Re: Starting the year off right!

Congrats, welcome back and one day at a time Scott. Now let's see pics of the pipes as soon as you're able to post them!
    Tobacco Cellar: http://www.tobaccocellar.com/mcgreggor57
    Never trust a woman's tears or a dog's limp.

Quote Originally Posted by mcgreggor57 View Post
    Now let's see pics of the pipes as soon as you're able to post them!
    Well, I don't know how many posts I need to post pictures, but the new Savinelli is in my avatar now.

Midlife crises Puffer mcgreggor57's Avatar

Very nice! I love my Sav but don't smoke it as much as I should. It's too dang pretty LOL.
    Tobacco Cellar: http://www.tobaccocellar.com/mcgreggor57
    Never trust a woman's tears or a dog's limp.

Puffer Fish with many spikes Blue_2's Avatar

Congrats on starting off on the right foot. Sounds like the pipe is leading you to greener pastures.

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborscott View Post
    PS: Girlfriends sister gave me a baggie of an ominously labeled "Vanilla Cavendish". A sweet gesture,sure, but after a half bowl in a cob, it joins the numerous Berry Spice Caramel Cavendeath blends in a tub labeled "Litter Box Deodorizer".
    I rarely smoke any mystery gifted Aro straight, unless I can ID it as something decent or a good renamed bulk. Heavily cut it 4:1 or 3:1 with Five Brothers or PA. It'll still have the same room note but it'll smoke a whole lot better.

Good to see you back, Scott. Life throws curve balls and sometimes you just need a bigger bat, in this case, new pipes. I love the Savinelli saucer shape. Great buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborscott View Post
    ...it joins the numerous Berry Spice Caramel Cavendeath blends in a tub labeled "Litter Box Deodorizer".
    Hmmm...I never thought of that use! Why not? They're always getting into my pipe cleaners anyway...
    ********.com