Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need advice and recommendations

This is a discussion on Need advice and recommendations within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Though I have smoked a pipe for many years, I have only a few tobaccos under my belt. Like the ...

Need advice and recommendations

Though I have smoked a pipe for many years, I have only a few tobaccos under my belt. Like the FOG's of days gone by, I found the tobaccos that suited me and kind of stayed with them. My cellar is limited to about six standard blends and a few more of my floor blends.

I want to ween myself of dips and chews and figure a good full body and strength tobacco might give me the nic kick I'll need to get off the chew.

As a reference, I am now rotating through five to ten year old Nightcap, a couple of G.L. Pease blends, Adagio #50, W.O. Larsen blends and Revelation.

So,,, what I may be looking for is a powerful non or very light aromatic that can relieve my craving for a dip or chew.

What say you pipers, will this help and what would you recommend???

One last thought, I did smoke cigarettes for about 25 years while smoking the occasional cigar and a bowl or two a day. I gave up the cigs twenty years ago almost cold turkey but just can not seem to get away from the dip and chew.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

Re: Need advice and recommendations

I find Dunhill Royal Yacht to have alot of nicotine.

Get some Brown or Black Irish Twist, Happy Bogie, Brown Rope #4 or some other "rope". Nicotine aplenty, although I'm not sure anything, including cigars, is going to equal the nicotine punch of chewing tobacco is it? Irish Flake and 1792 Flake pack some punch, and Tambolaka is pretty strong, too. None of these remotely resembles an aromatic. Quite the opposite.

And then there's snuff...
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Puff's Resident Evil Dr. Dr. Plume's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El wedo del milagro View Post
    I find Dunhill Royal Yacht to have alot of nicotine.
    Seconded
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

1792 is the only way to go. I would almost consider it an aromatic since it has Tonquin added, plus it's strong enough to help you out in the nicotine department.
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Get some Brown or Black Irish Twist, Happy Bogie, Brown Rope #4 or some other "rope". Nicotine aplenty, although I'm not sure anything, including cigars, is going to equal the nicotine punch of chewing tobacco is it? Irish Flake and 1792 Flake pack some punch, and Tambolaka is pretty strong, too. None of these remotely resembles an aromatic. Quite the opposite.

And then there's snuff...
    This.

Sweet Rum Twist is my current favorite of the GH ropes, but it's almost an aromatic. I would also point out that if you don't want to fool with slicing up rope, the Gawith Hoggarth Irish twists are available presliced - "Sliced Brown Twist" and "Sliced Black Twist."

I use Swedish snus at times when I can't smoke. You might or might not be interested in that. It's used basically like dip, except it's in little sachets (no crap stuck in your teeth), you use it in your upper lip instead of lower lip (very discreet, no one can tell you've got a lipfull), and it's processed differently than American dip - no spitting and supposedly less cancer risk.

Puffer Fish with many spikes Blue_2's Avatar

Kendal Kentucky or Five Brothers for Non-aromatics. Plenty of Vitamin N there.

How the heck could I have forgotten to mention Five Brothers?!? A favorite of mine, I always have some open. It's strong, but it's not as strong as the ropes. It's....different. Fine shag cut, bone dry, burns fast. I do smoke it straight on occasion, but I mostly use it as a blender with other stuff.

Then there's perique, if you're into it. C&D Bayou Morning Flake is peppery and full of nicotine. Peterson Irish Oak is a little less in-your-face with the pepper, and not as strong as some of the others mentioned, but it is towards the stronger end of the spectrum and is very tasty.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

I gotta agree with Jeff 1792 is strong for me!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

In all honesty, this sounds like asking what beer you should use to kick an alcohol addiction.
    ********.com

Maturing Puffer Fish trenschler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    In all honesty, this sounds like asking what beer you should use to kick an alcohol addiction.
    Budweiser

Elder Puffer Fish Leader indigosmoke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by commonsenseman View Post
    1792 is the only way to go. I would almost consider it an aromatic since it has Tonquin added, plus it's strong enough to help you out in the nicotine department.
    Hi Jeff. Glad to see you are back pushing the 1792. Hope you and yours had a great holiday. You are right though, if you are looking for a bit of nic, tobacco taste and a nice vanilla flavor you can't too far wrong with 1792. I noticed you mentioned Nightcap in your post. If you are looking for Latakia blends that have a pretty decent nic kick (and are pretty tasty too) check out the Capt. Earle series from Hermit or perhaps Star of the East flake, Mississippi Mud or Pirate Kake from C&D.
    “The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by trenschler View Post
    Budweiser
    Okay, good point...
    ********.com

Full grown Puffer Fish jobes2007's Avatar

Full Virginia Flake anyone?
    Love free stuff? Love Pipe tobacco? Do I have the thread for you! http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/genera...al-thread.html

Quote Originally Posted by jobes2007 View Post
    Full Virginia Flake anyone?
    Yes, please!
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast