Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Types of pipe tobacco?

This is a discussion on Types of pipe tobacco? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Could someone please provide me a list of the types of pipe tobacco and the general characteristics for that type? ...

Young Fish

Types of pipe tobacco?

Could someone please provide me a list of the types of pipe tobacco and the general characteristics for that type? I hear terms like aromatic, Virginia, latike and have no idea what these mean. Because I live so remote there is no B&M to go talk to. I did a search but could not find anything.

Thanks in advance Rob

Full grown Puffer Fish jobes2007's Avatar

Re: Types of pipe tobacco?

Alright, this is based on my limited knowledge, but here goes:

English blends
    - this term is typically used for blends that have latakia in them, which is a leaf that gives the blend a smokey/campfirey blend. Depending on the amount of latakia it can be really strong and smoking (Dunhill 965, Pirate Kake) or more creamy and sweet (like Nightcap - sometimes - MacBaren Latakia Blend and Squadron Leader). A good starter English blend would be, in my opinion, Frog Morton, Frog Morton Across the Pond, or P.S. Oriental Supreme.

Virginias - Virgnia blends are very sweet normally. Not, sugary candy chocolate sweet, normally more hay-fig-earthy sweet. I personally avoided Virginia blends when I started, as they tend to burn hot if you puff too fast, which will result in tongue bite. Many of the "best" blends are Virginia Flakes, like Full Virginia Flake. I cannot recommend many good starter Virginia personally, as I don't smoke a lot of straight VAs.

VaPers: VaPer tobacco has a base of Virginias (Va) with some extra Perique (Per). To make it simple, virginia is sweet, perique is spicy. VaPers are an interesting blend, and can be very rewarding. Honestly, I would probably recommended getting into VaPers before straight VAs as I've found they bite a lot less. The most famous VaPer I can think of is probably Escudo, and a good cheap one to get your started would be PS Luxury Bullseye Flake.

Aromatics: Aromatics, to sum them up in one giant category, are tobaccos that have stuff added to them to make them taste different. Not a very technically description, but the more technicalities I put in, the more exceptions to the definition will come up. Most people avoid aromatics as they have a reputation as being "lower" tobaccos, and many are made poorly - goopy, wet, and taste like burning perfume. However, there are some very well made aromatic tobaccos which can be great. I enjoy MacBaren's Honey and Chocolate and their Plumcake (though I don't know if I would consider that an aromatic). Aro's are normally smoked in cobs of meers, because they ghost the pipe they are smoked in quickly - leave behind their taste in the briar.

A lot of pipe smokers, myself included, genre dedicate - ie smoke only certain types of blends in certain pipes. I have a VaPer pipe, a straight VA pipe, a VA Flake pipe, a large English pipe, a small English pipe, a cob (aros) and a meer for when I feel the mood for meerschaum, haha. Getting a cob or two is probably the best way to start smoking, as you can try many things and not have to worry about your pipe "ghosting".
    Love free stuff? Love Pipe tobacco? Do I have the thread for you! http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/genera...al-thread.html

Re: Types of pipe tobacco?

I like Russ Ouellette's bit here:

Ouellette's Tobacco Types/Descriptions

And the tobacconist university's page here:

Tobacconist University : Tobacco College : Pipe Tobacco

These cover all but aros and were where I started. Hope this helps!
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar