Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Dunhill value opinion-supplemental date code/shape code??

This is a discussion on Dunhill value opinion-supplemental date code/shape code?? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; hi to all. I'm getting ready to sell my 2nd. Dunhill pipe. It's a beautiful unsmoked Shell Briar. My value ...

Young Fish

Dunhill value opinion-supplemental date code/shape code??

hi to all.

I'm getting ready to sell my 2nd. Dunhill pipe. It's a beautiful unsmoked Shell Briar. My value question comes from the fact that this pipe has two unusual characteristics. The first is that it appears that a supplemental date code was applied. The original code indicates it was made in 1961 but as u can see there's a "2" also stamped. I know they use this practice but the question then is, does it affect value?
    Also, the pipe is shape code stamped "660" but, the box is stamped "659". I'm very certain this is the pipe that came in this box just by knowing the original buyers attention to detail regarding his collection. Logic tells me that these shape numbers refer to the same pipe shape. Was this a moment (1961-62) when Dunhill changed it's designation? And again value. Does this enhance or detract?
    The reason i ask is that I would then emphasize these facts in it's description.

thanks,

bobby

Dunhill value opinion-supplemental date code/shape code??-dsc_0543a_epuff.jpgDunhill value opinion-supplemental date code/shape code??-dsc_0498z_epuff.jpgDunhill value opinion-supplemental date code/shape code??-dsc_0498a_epuff.jpgDunhill value opinion-supplemental date code/shape code??-dsc_0520a_epuff.jpgDunhill value opinion-supplemental date code/shape code??-dsc_0531a1_epuff.jpg

Re: Dunhill value opinion-supplemental date code/shape code??

Wow. That's my dream pipe. You're going to need some napkins for all of my drool!
    Never trust anyone over 30.

Very cool! It can only help having all the goodies, and as for the number...both numbers are a billiard saddle bit, so the box could have been confused at the place he bought the pipe, who knows? BTW, how much did the other pipe sell for?
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Young Fish

$620.00 what do u think about the supplemental dating?
    Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Very cool! It can only help having all the goodies, and as for the number...both numbers are a billiard saddle bit, so the box could have been confused at the place he bought the pipe, who knows? BTW, how much did the other pipe sell for?

Quote Originally Posted by reamsden View Post
    $620.00 what do u think about the supplemental dating?
    If it was standard, all the pipes from that year would be the same "weirdness", wouldn't they? In the bigger scheme of things, I'd be surprised if it's much of a factor at all. The "Your dunhill" booklet probably adds more, but I don't have any expertise in Dunhill collecables.

I'm betting this one goes for more for some reason. Good luck!

Great looking pipe. IMO the date code might detract some for this reason. A lot of the value in this pipe is as a birthday collectable and unless you were born on 12/31/61 the second date might make it not be the "perfect" birthday collectable but then again for the guy who will not buy smoked estates it might be as good as it gets. The box and stuff makes for a great looking presentation and adds value but it's not like you couldn't put those together (I buy pipe boxes, sleeves, tags and related stuff for this reason). I'll bet the seller just grabbed the first shell box he found in the back room and rang up the sale.

Quote Originally Posted by daveinlax View Post
    Great looking pipe. IMO the date code might detract some for this reason. A lot of the value in this pipe is as a birthday collectable and unless you were born on 12/31/61 the second date might make it not be the "perfect" birthday collectable
    Statistically speaking, there will be more people alive today with the later birthday date. I would also hazard that birthday pipe people are a relatively small segment of the Dunhill collector's world in any case.

Young Fish

Statistically speaking, there will be more people alive today with the later birthday date. I would also hazard that birthday pipe people are a relatively small segment of the Dunhill collector's world in any case.
    It's listed on ebay now - #290839783693 ends this Sunday eve.

The pipe was made in 1961 and left the factory for sale in 62. That's what the 2 represents under the original date stamp.

Just saw the auction...looks like you figured that out. Nevermind!!
    People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass little old ladies rather than a motorcycle gang.

Young Fish

Quote Originally Posted by dbreazeale View Post
    The pipe was made in 1961 and left the factory for sale in 62. That's what the 2 represents under the original date stamp.

Just saw the auction...looks like you figured that out. Nevermind!!
    do u understand their thinking on this? i mean if chevrolet made a 1965 corvette and didn't sell or release it until 1967, how does that make it a '67?? u can't deny the pipe was made in 1961, so why not let it be a 1961?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Regardless of the supplemental date code, that's a beautiful pipe. I have a group 2 that is similar.

Full grown Puffer Fish Blue Raccoon's Avatar

I'll bet a lot of buyers first Dunhill was a brithday year pipe.. BTW, anyone got a 1949 Dunhill for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Raccoon View Post
    I'll bet a lot of buyers first Dunhill was a brithday year pipe.. BTW, anyone got a 1949 Dunhill for sale?
    Especially if it's that very special Dunhill with TWO birth dates, doubling the number of potential bidders.