Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Help me improve some 5110

This is a discussion on Help me improve some 5110 within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I must have been thinking of another blend when I pulled the trigger on a full lb of "Dark English ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Help me improve some 5110

I must have been thinking of another blend when I pulled the trigger on a full lb of "Dark English Full" but its anything but "full".
    It just seems so "meh"- roughly akin to smoking a warm campfire. I love Presby and other Lat blends- just cant get behind this one.
    Anyone got any home blended recipes?

Re: Help me improve some 5110

As an avid camper, myself, I love a warm campfire. I'd be happy to take some of it off your hands, strictly for camping purposes I mean.

Exactly what did you not like about it?

In my (albeit, quite limited) experience, you can't turn something that you outright don't like into something good. If you sorta like it but wish it had a little more of something, or a little less of something, you may be able to blend it with something else to improve it a bit.

I have some 5110. Bought it without doing my homework. Dark English Full just sounds like a strong powerful blend. Well, it is dark, probably due to the Latakia and I am guessing the stoved Virginia with a little Turkish throw into the mix.

Mine was on the wet side of what I like and I "aired" it out between microwave heated paper towels. Not so sure why it is labeled full, it was rather mild in strength and nic. Funny, for the first half bowl, almost every time, I got splashes of flavor. Sort of like,,, one or two sips would be sweet, next would be smokey and next would be spicy, not always in that order. After a half way point the blend and mix of these three flavors would just merge to an OK kind of taste. Nothing that knocked my socks off, but OK for a light change up.

Would be very bored with this blend, it is sort of the lite version of Nightcap. Of course you could jar it up, and forget about it for a few years to see how well it ages. If you want to change the 5110, add more Virginia to sweeten it, add more Oriental to give it some spice or more Latakia to turn it into a smokey campfire flavor.

Or,,, use it for trades, passes and bombs.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Quote Originally Posted by gahdzila View Post
    Exactly what did you not like about it?

In my (albeit, quite limited) experience, you can't turn something that you outright don't like into something good. If you sorta like it but wish it had a little more of something, or a little less of something, you may be able to blend it with something else to improve it a bit.
    Thats more or less what im getting at. Its not terrible, just kinda "meh"- and not even in a "I want to just zone out and not smoke anything too complex."

Seems Fuzzy has had the exact same experience.

I knew a few people dabbled in mixing- some even had a few "recipes".